PDA

View Full Version : How many fishes can we keep at the end of a fishing trip?

HappySonny
01-15-2013, 01:22 PM
How many fishes can we keep at the end of a fishing trip, if the limit of this kind of fish at lake A is 5 while the limit of this kind of fish at lake B is 3 and we fished at both of lake A and B during our fishing trip?
5? or 3? or 8?:confused:

AdverseCity
01-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Not sure but I think it's just 5, with 3 at most from lake B. The limit is a "maximum possession limit" which I've heard includes fish in your freezer. This is just from reading on these forums though, I haven't done any real research.

jts1
01-15-2013, 01:31 PM
The limit is a "maximum possession limit" which I've heard includes fish in your freezer. .

That is correct

JohnnyD
01-15-2013, 01:31 PM
This is where the honesty in an outdoorsmen comes into play. If lake a allows 5 fish lake b allows 3 fish, than so long as you don't exceed the provincial possession limit and you honestly caught each limit appropriatee to the lake the limits came from, you will be legal. One of the big keys is to check the provincial possession limit. This will tell you how many fish of a given species you may possess at one time, not just with you in your bucket but also whats in your freezer at home!

HappySonny
01-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Here is what in the regulation:

3. Limit: The number of fish you are allowed to keep while fishing at a water body is equal to the ‘limit’ listed for each species or group of species at that water body.

4. Possession: The number of fish of each species you may possess at the end of a fishing trip, regardless of the number of days fished, is equal to a 1-day limit at the water body fished and includes fish stored at home.

MAC
01-15-2013, 01:40 PM
From the Regs

Province-wide maximum possession – All fish kept from any lake or stream, from any Watershed Unit, count as part of the province-wide maximum possession that must not be exceeded. The maximum number of fish you may have, including fish at your home and fish caught under a special harvest licence, for each game fish species or group of species is listed below:
• Trout and Arctic Grayling – 5 in total, combined of:

0 bull trout (native to Alberta);
2 Northern Dolly Varden (stocked in Chester Lake only);
1 golden trout;
2 Arctic grayling;
3 lake trout;
5 cutthroat trout;
5 rainbow trout;
5 brown trout;
5 brook trout.
•Mountain Whitefish – 5 in total.
•Walleye and Sauger – 3 in combined total.
•Northern Pike – 3 in total.
•Yellow Perch – 15 in total.
•Lake Whitefish and Cisco (Tullibee) – 10 in combined total.
•Goldeye and Mooneye – 10 in combined total.
•Burbot (Ling) – 10 in total.
•Lake Sturgeon – 0
•Non-game fish – no restriction on the numbers kept.

NOTE: The limits and size restrictions that exist at specific lakes and streams are listed in the Watershed Unit sections of each Fish Management Zone.

Check the regs. here is the link

http://albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/general-regs.html#catchlimits

Province wide maximum applies overall. Specific lake and stream limits are to be followed. CO may look for proof as to where fish came from. I dont know never ran into this situation myself.

kevinhits
01-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Possesion is the KEY!

Safety D
01-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Id be just happy to catch 1 to keep !!!! LOL

Speckle55
01-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Just make sure that you fish lake B first and get no more than 3 and then go to lake A and get your 5..

if you read the reg's your daily is your limit so when five.. you can only catch 5 total and if you start at Lake b then got to Lake A if you start at lake A and catch 4 at lake A then you can,t go to lake B or and fish because you would be busted .. did you get my post the right order

David:)

HappySonny
01-15-2013, 01:51 PM
So which one is the correct answer?
5? or 3? or 8?:)

Gust
01-15-2013, 01:54 PM
It's interesting as I'm asked harvest questions a lot at work, and no matter how much info I give including showing the regs and such, there is always that look on the customers face akin to "how can I get past the regulations and stock my freezer". Typically, these individuals buy fishing rods for everyone in the family not requiring a license and then the questions come up as to how many fish can a family harvest. I've become bitter (sorry for the derail) and think that children to the age of having to purchase a license should be strictly C&R and from license age up can choose what type of fishing they would like to engage in.

A couple of years ago I received a PM looking for specific fish at specific locations and how to best catch them. Being a naive forum user, I obliged, and gave locations, techniques and other little hints. I received nary a thank you nor anything for that matter, and I changed my manner on who gets tips from me.

browning375
01-15-2013, 01:55 PM

Gust
01-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Just make sure that you fish lake B first and get no more than 3 and then go to lake A and get your 5..

That is the funniest and quietly most sarcastic reply,, and awesome!!!!

kevinhits
01-15-2013, 01:56 PM

No....If the possesion limit is 5....You cannot take 3 from one lake, and then 5 from another...You are in possesion of 8 which is illegal unless you ate those first 3 from lake A before going to lake B

Ok....Got me...Missed the sarcasim:bad_boys_20:

dryflyguy
01-15-2013, 01:59 PM
So which one is the correct answer?
5? or 3? or 8?:)

I would say it depends on the sport fish you plan on catching.
MAC has laid out provincial possession limits several posts back, what kind of fish are you after?

HappySonny
01-15-2013, 02:07 PM
I would say it depends on the sport fish you plan on catching.
MAC has laid out provincial possession limits several posts back, what kind of fish are you after?
Please see the original question.

spurly
01-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Not to derail the thread, but I live on the Alberta ,BC border, one particular lake is half in BC the other half in Alberta, I have a licence to fish each province, the limit is 2 in BC, 5 in Alberta, Am I allowed,
7 fish? My possesion limit in Alberta is 5, but I have fished 2 provinces.

I don't normaly keep fish, just an interesting situation.

Speckle55
01-15-2013, 02:16 PM
That is the funniest and quietly most sarcastic reply,, and awesome!!!!

i re-worded for all :thinking-006:

crf250xtom
01-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Depends really if your caught with 8 on the ice you could be in trouble just make sure you keep them in your vehicle cause they generally won't harrass you but if they do they need a warrant so they more than likely be to lazy to get one cause whether they bust you or not still getting paid the same IMHO eat a couple at the lake the the problem is solved whatever you do don't admit to anything cause their is these certain officers that are *****s others are quite nice. But ultimately is a few extra fish worth the money up to you mate.

Gust
01-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Please see the original question.

Actually it's a funny question sonny, being that there are no 5/3 possesion limits of a particular species,,, so the answer would be 5 (whitefish for example) then 3 (pike for example). You could retain 8 burbot from two different bodies of water but I don't think you can keep 8 trout.

Maybe I over thought the question.

hope this helps.

what kind of fish/es are you targetting?

Gust
01-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Depends really if your caught with 8 on the ice you could be in trouble just make sure you keep them in your vehicle cause they generally won't harrass you but if they do they need a warrant so they more than likely be to lazy to get one cause whether they bust you or not still getting paid the same IMHO eat a couple at the lake the the problem is solved whatever you do don't admit to anything cause their is these certain officers that are *****s others are quite nice. But ultimately is a few extra fish worth the money up to you mate.

Cool, so how many fish do you eat and how many do you take home?:mad3:

crf250xtom
01-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Well if you wanted to be really sneaky let's say it has a 5 fish limit you catch 5 its up to you really eat all 5 eat 3 whatever then dispose of carcasses so there is no proof then catch more if you don't wanna get caught.

PLEASE NOTE I don't keep fish so I have never done it just theoretically saying someone can do this I have seen it happens before. I'm catch and release unless I go with someone who wants to have a fry.

Gust
01-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Well if you wanted to be really sneaky let's say it has a 5 fish limit you catch 5 its up to you really eat all 5 eat 3 whatever then dispose of carcasses so there is no proof then catch more if you don't wanna get caught.

PLEASE NOTE I don't keep fish so I have never done it just theoretically saying someone can do this I have seen it happens before. I'm catch and release unless I go with someone who wants to have a fry.

My apologies.

I've witnessed this happening and it's also interesting that it happens where there is zero cell reception.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
01-15-2013, 02:38 PM
:) Mac posted the limits ...

the best idea is study this...

http://albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/general-regs.html

Now just because that list says lake trout limit 3....YOU HAVE TO CHECK the water shed/lake your fishing...

because for example...
Cold Lake
May 15 to Mar. 31 – Lake Trout limit 0 from Sept. 15 to Nov. 15, and 1 over 65 cm from May 15 to Sept. 14 and from Nov. 16 to Mar. 31; Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 1 over 63 cm; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10.

so its a good idea to study the regs and watersheds you intend to fish...

Neil

Fisher_man#1
01-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Limit your catch, dont catch your limit! :snapoutofit::thinking-006:

If the whole possession limit thing is not making sense to you error on the side of caution. The answer is in a number of posts already. Call Fish & Wildlife for specifics on the lakes you seem interested in.

Cheers,

Hunter Trav
01-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Actually it's a funny question sonny, being that there are no 5/3 possesion limits of a particular species,,, so the answer would be 5 (whitefish for example) then 3 (pike for example). You could retain 8 burbot from two different bodies of water but I don't think you can keep 8 trout.

Maybe I over thought the question.

hope this helps.

what kind of fish/es are you targetting?

Actually, he's probably wanting to catch whites at Sylvan and Gull, where Sylvan is a limit of 5, and Gull is a limit of 3...

pikergolf
01-16-2013, 01:25 PM
The answer is 5 not 8, five is the daily max, by the OPs way of questioning, you could travel from lake to lake taking a limit from each as you go.

ogre
01-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Just make sure that you fish lake B first and get no more than 3 and then go to lake A and get your [total of] 5..

If you read the reg's your daily is your limit so, five.. you can only catch 5 total if you start at [Gull] Lake then got to [Sylvan] Lake. If you start at [Sylvan] lake and catch 4 at [Sylvan] Lake then you can't go to [Gull] lake and fish because you would be busted... did you get my post the right order

Actually, he's probably wanting to catch whites at Sylvan and Gull, where Sylvan is a limit of 5, and Gull is a limit of 3...

:)

ogre
01-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Not to derail the thread, but I live on the Alberta ,BC border, one particular lake is half in BC the other half in Alberta, I have a licence to fish each province, the limit is 2 in BC, 5 in Alberta, Am I allowed,

Buy 2 freezers, put 2 fish into the freezer sitting on the BC side; put 5 fish into the other freezer sitting on the AB side. :love0025:

DiehardFishingMan
01-16-2013, 03:02 PM
scenario --

"Actually, he's probably wanting to catch whites at Sylvan and Gull, where Sylvan is a limit of 5, and Gull is a limit of 3" plus no white fish in my freezer

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I phoned fish & wildlife office in Calgary 10 minutes ago, and asked the office about scenario above. The answer I got is 8

They said as long as you are not exceed the provincial limit (10 in this case) and also not exceed the water body limit, you are fine

I am not sure if the answer I got is correct one or not. It is better to have some fellow members to phone their F&W office for same question and see what number they will say

goldscud
01-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Spurly, if this lake is close to your house (starts with S), it is totally in BC. The lake is only governed by BC regs.

pikergolf
01-16-2013, 03:23 PM
scenario --

"Actually, he's probably wanting to catch whites at Sylvan and Gull, where Sylvan is a limit of 5, and Gull is a limit of 3" plus no white fish in my freezer

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I phoned fish & wildlife office in Calgary 10 minutes ago, and asked the office about scenario above. The answer I got is 8

They said as long as you are not exceed the provincial limit (10 in this case) and also not exceed the water body limit, you are fine

I am not sure if the answer I got is correct one or not. It is better to have some fellow members to phone their F&W office for same question and see what number they will say

If in fact it is white fish then yes the answer would be eight, I made the assumtion that the prov. limit on the fish he was fishing was 5. Never assume I guess. I still think you would be in hot water as soon as you crossed the limit threshhold for the lake you were at. "But officer i caught 3 of these at lake X", would be a tough sell sitting on 7 fish with a lake limit of 5.

dodgeboy1979
01-16-2013, 03:30 PM
If you package your fish and mark on the package which body of water they were caught then you should be fine say catching your 3 limit at lake A and going over to B to catch your 5 limit or visa versa.

DiehardFishingMan
01-16-2013, 03:35 PM
If in fact it is white fish then yes the answer would be eight, I made the assumtion that the prov. limit on the fish he was fishing was 5. Never assume I guess. I still think you would be in hot water as soon as you crossed the limit threshhold for the lake you were at. "But officer i caught 3 of these at lake X", would be a tough sell sitting on 7 fish with a lake limit of 5.

I agree with you.

Lefty-Canuck
01-16-2013, 04:13 PM

I would not want to be in possession at lake x with a legal limit from lake y while trying to top up on a combined provincial limit....that is just asking for trouble.

Which again leads me to shake my head for one reason or another....the premiss of this thread....

LC

Hunter Trav
01-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Yes its tough to prove, make sure you have a digital camera with the correct date for pics, and clearly take picture of you and the fish in a spot along the shoreline which is easily distinguishable.

crf250xtom
01-17-2013, 12:37 AM
F&w are to lazy they don't care not anymore they can't prove it just don't have the fish from. The other lake on the ice cause if you do then your not the sharpest tool in the shed lol

MtnGiant
01-17-2013, 01:28 AM

Depends on which province ur hme or freezer resides....or do u reside in 2 separate residences....1 in ea province? Not so hard

338Bluff
01-17-2013, 07:32 AM
You would still have to explain to the CO why you have 2 whitefish on the ice at Gull and 5 in the back of your truck from Sylvan.

Easier to just catch the 5 whites at Sylvan and go have a cheeseburger and a beer at the Monkey Top. I would just prefer to just avoid the whole argument.

The CO is very likely to just issue you a ticket for over fishing and the onus is upon you to defend yourself in court. No grudge on the officer, just doing the job. They are not the judges.

pikergolf
01-17-2013, 11:39 AM
F&w are to lazy they don't care not anymore they can't prove it just don't have the fish from. The other lake on the ice cause if you do then your not the sharpest tool in the shed lol

With this little gem, and your poll on F&W I'd guess your not a fan. Maybe try and see the situation through the officers eyes, why would you want to make his day more difficult?

Mutter87
01-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Toss them all back and buy from the store. Problem solved.

HappySonny
01-18-2013, 06:47 PM
So the correct answer is 8:sHa_shakeshout:
Thanks a lot for all the responses!

Lefty-Canuck
01-18-2013, 07:06 PM
So the correct answer is 8:sHa_shakeshout:
Thanks a lot for all the responses!

It is only 8 IF....

....you have no fish at home in your freezer of the same species....
....you caught a lake limit at one lake and not over....
....you caught a lake limit at the other lake and not over....

Also, you cannot combine a limit to make up the 8 by exceeding the limit at one of the lakes....ie. catch 4 at one lake that has a limit of 5 and catch 4 more at the other which has a limit of 3 to make up a Provincial limit of 8....

LC

kinwahkly
01-18-2013, 07:23 PM
So if im reading right, you could fish Gull Lake for 3 Whitefish and then hop over to Sylvan for 2 more ad youre possession is 5 .

Levy
01-18-2013, 08:00 PM
wrong thread

Hunter Trav
01-18-2013, 08:35 PM
So if im reading right, you could fish Gull Lake for 3 Whitefish and then hop over to Sylvan for 2 more ad youre possession is 5 .

No. You could catch three at Gull, go to Sylvan and catch five more IF you are not already in possession of any at home, as you are allowed a MAXIMUM of 10 whites in your possession. As an example, if you had five at home already, you could only bring home 5 more. Then you could either get your five at Sylvan, or two at Sylvan, and 3 at Gull. You cannot exceed the limit of the lake your fishing at, or the maximum allowable limit (which in the case of whitefish), is 10.

SNAPFisher
01-18-2013, 08:45 PM
Sonny, I've polled the fishes and have a unanimous decision of ZERO for both catch, at all, and certainly posession limit. Looks like your SOL. :sHa_sarcasticlol: