PDA

View Full Version : Found : Female Black lab

AlazyS
01-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Hi, a very nice female black lab has showed up at our farm. Looks like she may have fell from a truck a while back. I took her to vet, he tells me she is about 2.5 years old, not spayed and looks to be purebred. Our farm is 6 miles SE of Fort Saskatchewan AB.

She is house trained, very smart and affectionate. She had a leash around her neck when she showed up, no colar, tags, tattoo or microchip.

Hopefully this is someone's dog on AO. We want to find the owner, if that is you, please describe and what color the leash she was wearing.

We will not be able to keep her, so I am hoping the owner see's this or someone let's them know. If owner not found in another week, we will release the dog to a good (hunting) home. The lab loves retrieving and I am convinced someone has started her on duck retrieval.

Please PM me with info.

Thanks,

AlazyS

Mike_W
01-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Give her to the good hunting home if she fell out of a truck the owner doesnt deserve her back.

Truck boxes are no place for a dog!!

BBD
01-15-2013, 04:15 PM
If you need a home for her, let me know.

greylynx
01-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Didn't the vet tell you to contact the county Bylaw Officer?

You are in possession of someone elses property, and need to bring the officials in.

If you are not afraid of the legal ramifications that could ensue on you, give it away.

densa44
01-15-2013, 04:37 PM
An un spayed BLF with no markings, did not come from a breeder, they mark every pup. No collar, what we have here is the poor dog was dropped off to "a nice farm family" as an anonymous gift. I can't think of anything more cruel than to put a dog out of a car and speed back home and tell the wife/kids that the dog has gone to a new home.

Pls give it to some one here who will keep it and take care of the poor thing.

Good for you to take her in.

chopperman
01-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Didn't the vet tell you to contact the county Bylaw Officer?

You are in possession of someone elses property, and need to bring the officials in.

If you are not afraid of the legal ramifications that could ensue on you, give it away.

Really????? There goes that reminder that comes on everytime I think some people should use common sense..... Well I guess the people that lost the dog out of a pick up can go to the new owner "should they not claim it from the OP" and ask for their dog back!

catnthehat
01-15-2013, 05:26 PM
A few weeks back wasn't there was a thread about a lost/stolen lab?
Trying to find it, IIRC it was around southern Alberta??!!:confused:
Cat

220swifty
01-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Try petlynx.net

We have recovered ours that way before, and returned more than a few that way too.

Good on you for keeping her around and giving her good attention until the rightful owner shows up. Hopefully the owners are grateful that you saved them the pound fees and didnt give there dog the fate that many strays get in farm country.

Alberta Bigbore
01-15-2013, 06:59 PM
A few weeks back wasn't there was a thread about a lost/stolen lab?
Trying to find it, IIRC it was around southern Alberta??!!:confused:
Cat

I think your right.

greylynx
01-15-2013, 07:13 PM
An un spayed BLF with no markings, did not come from a breeder, they mark every pup. No collar, what we have here is the poor dog was dropped off to "a nice farm family" as an anonymous gift. I can't think of anything more cruel than to put a dog out of a car and speed back home and tell the wife/kids that the dog has gone to a new home.

Pls give it to some one here who will keep it and take care of the poor thing.

Good for you to take her in.

I have have had my share of drop offs.

I take them to the county animal control officer.

My neighbor shoots first and asks no questions.

Densa, come hunting up my way and lose one of your dogs

densa44
01-15-2013, 09:22 PM
My dogs are all marked if I lose one and a responsible person finds it, the first time it sees a vet I'll get it back.

I too live in the country next to a big city, and believe me people just don't lose their dogs and do nothing. They come looking, put up posters, call radio stations, post ads, offer rewards, you get the idea. They don't however remove all forms of ID from the dog and make sure that it has none before dumping the poor thing.

I have picked up many of these poor dogs, that optimistically follow every car on the road hoping their family has come back, the only thing they have done wrong is to grow out of the owner's interest.

IMO the owners are guilty until I'm convinced otherwise. If the dogs are turned over to the county they will be taken to the nearest pound and in all probability euthanized or used for medical experiments.

There are people who should never be allowed to own an animal.

Dacotensis
01-15-2013, 10:05 PM
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-dogs-puppies-for-sale-Please-help-us-find-our-Saffie-W0QQAdIdZ447741036

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-community-lost-found-Lost-a-female-black-Lab-W0QQAdIdZ435609776

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-community-lost-found-Female-Black-Lab-Missing-Pigeon-Lake-area-W0QQAdIdZ443806597

Dacotensis
01-15-2013, 10:07 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=162398&highlight=Black

BBD
01-15-2013, 10:47 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=162398&highlight=Black
That dog is a male, the one that's been found is a female, but it's nice to see all the AO members trying to help.

Pikehunter13
01-15-2013, 10:52 PM
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-community-lost-found-Female-Black-Lab-Missing-Pigeon-Lake-area-W0QQAdIdZ443806597k

I think Dacotensis is on to something.

NBFK
01-15-2013, 10:57 PM
I thought I saw something on Facebook with a missing lab in the fort sask area. Maybe pm Rigby I can't remember if he posted it.

Dacotensis
01-15-2013, 11:30 PM
My bad, op says not spayed, that one says spayed.

Got all excited over nothin.

Fisherpeak
01-16-2013, 08:12 AM
If she`s that good I`d keep her.Love a good big dog,I have 2 but always room for one more.

Zuludog
01-16-2013, 09:52 AM
My dogs are all marked if I lose one and a responsible person finds it, the first time it sees a vet I'll get it back.

I too live in the country next to a big city, and believe me people just don't lose their dogs and do nothing. They come looking, put up posters, call radio stations, post ads, offer rewards, you get the idea. They don't however remove all forms of ID from the dog and make sure that it has none before dumping the poor thing.

I have picked up many of these poor dogs, that optimistically follow every car on the road hoping their family has come back, the only thing they have done wrong is to grow out of the owner's interest.

IMO the owners are guilty until I'm convinced otherwise. If the dogs are turned over to the county they will be taken to the nearest pound and in all probability euthanized or used for medical experiments.

There are people who should never be allowed to own an animal.

^^ x2 I'm with you on this one, it sounds like someone abandoned a great dog. Although why would they leave the leash on it, if they were dropping it in the country? If it fell from the back of a truck that is a sign of an irresponsible owner as well. Either way I hope this dog finds a great home whether it is with its original family who is hopefully looking or ti as we type or with a new family that won't abandon it.

AlazyS
01-16-2013, 10:42 AM
We have contacted vets in our area, went through kijiji and other lost pet sites. We are assuming that this dog was a drop off as well. Had a heash clipped around her neck, no collar. If the previous owners had a leash, they obviously had a collar. Poor thing could have strangled to death if she had got caught up in some brush.

Whoever dumped her was thinking to clearly, we have cattle and it is usually shoot first if a dog is chasing the cattle. She appeared in our house yard not the cattle pens, lucky her I guess. Will wait until monday before trying to find her a new home. Thanks everyone for your help.

FishingMOM
01-16-2013, 10:55 AM
We have contacted vets in our area, went through kijiji and other lost pet sites. We are assuming that this dog was a drop off as well. Had a heash clipped around her neck, no collar. If the previous owners had a leash, they obviously had a collar. Poor thing could have strangled to death if she had got caught up in some brush.

Whoever dumped her was thinking to clearly, we have cattle and it is usually shoot first if a dog is chasing the cattle. She appeared in our house yard not the cattle pens, lucky her I guess. Will wait until monday before trying to find her a new home. Thanks everyone for your help.

Might be easier to rehome on the weekend. That way a new owner has time to spend with the dog before returning to a full work week.

Good on you guys for saving her.

Dakota369
01-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Give her to the good hunting home if she fell out of a truck the owner doesnt deserve her back.

Agreed on so many levels. Way too many dogs are killed or injured in Canada due to the redneck tendency to drive around with your dog in the back of an open box pick-up. One of my biggest pet peeves (pun intended), and when ever I see this if the opportunity is there the driver/owner will usually get an earful. This is on my list of ways to tell who should and should not have pets........

Dakota369
01-16-2013, 11:20 AM

An excellent option if you do not find the (hopefully) remorseful owner is NASAP. They are an excellent organization and will take her, spay her and foster her until she gets a good home.

Good luck and thanks for taking care of her.

bosshog
01-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Good on you for looking after her. Just to stir the pot, I am going to say that it "could" be possible that this dog did not fall from the back of a truck and in fact "may" had been on a long road trip with its owner. When they kindly pulled over to let the dog out of the vehicle to stretch its legs it wandered off and was not found.
I have had this happen once with my dog when he was a pup but this is probably not the case as a real owner would search high and low for their pet.

As others have also volunteered, if you are loking for a home for her please PM me as our little guy could use a firend. Glad to see someone is looking out for this dog.

sabidi
01-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Hi,

The details of the dog you found exactly matches the discription of our missing dog. We suspact that she was taken and could have jumped the truck of the napper.

When she went missing she did not had her collar. The leash on her neck must be put by the napper.

We have her medical records. We can meet at the vet office and the vet can confirm if it is our dog or not, based on her x-rays. She had an accedent when she was young and her x-rays can prove if it is her.

I am not sure if you still have her but could you please help us get her back ... we are missing her badly ... please help us!

Please reply!

Thanks!

Sabidi

tri777
01-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Way too many dogs are killed or injured in Canada due to the redneck tendency to drive around with your dog in the back of an open box pick-up.!!
How funny is it that i have never heard of such a thing!!Get me proof please..
".. if the opportunity is there the driver/owner will usually get an earful.
Thanks for the warning,i'll carry an airhorn in my pick up just for you now.

More trash info..been driving my dogs in my box for almost 32yrs,NO issues whatsoever! Dogs absolutly LOVE rides to lake on hot scalding days..if a true dog owner pays attention to conditions on road:bumps,turns,obstacles,angles,passing traffic,oncoming traffic, etc(common sense),they to will have 30+ yrs trouble free also i reckon.

rugatika
01-21-2013, 01:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYkTd4bhUcE

http://blog.aspca.org/content/cruelty-alert-dogs-pickup-trucks

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1687001/

http://forums.somd.com/scanner-activity/250042-injured-dog.html

http://www.tripswithpets.com/twp-blog/the-dangers-of-dogs-riding-in-pickup-truck-beds

http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/training-tips/35803-truck-training.html

Jamie
01-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Hi,

The details of the dog you found exactly matches the discription of our missing dog. We suspact that she was taken and could have jumped the truck of the napper.

When she went missing she did not had her collar. The leash on her neck must be put by the napper.

We have her medical records. We can meet at the vet office and the vet can confirm if it is our dog or not, based on her x-rays. She had an accedent when she was young and her x-rays can prove if it is her.

I am not sure if you still have her but could you please help us get her back ... we are missing her badly ... please help us!

Please reply!

Thanks!

Sabidi

This would be very cool if it worked out.
Good luck

Jamie

Redfrog
01-21-2013, 03:53 PM

More trash info..been driving my dogs in my box for almost 32yrs,NO issues whatsoever! Dogs absolutly LOVE rides to lake on hot scalding days..if a true dog owner pays attention to conditions on road:bumps,turns,obstacles,angles,passing traffic,oncoming traffic, etc(common sense),they to will have 30+ yrs trouble free also i reckon.

Raising the bar:thinking-006: All I can do is shake my head.:sign0161:

sabidi
01-24-2013, 01:23 AM
AlazyS could you please reply to you my message ... we are offering $1000 for the safe return of you dog...

Hi,

Please reply!

Thanks!

Sabidi

Hi, a very nice female black lab has showed up at our farm. Looks like she may have fell from a truck a while back. I took her to vet, he tells me she is about 2.5 years old, not spayed and looks to be purebred. Our farm is 6 miles SE of Fort Saskatchewan AB.

She is house trained, very smart and affectionate. She had a leash around her neck when she showed up, no colar, tags, tattoo or microchip.

Hopefully this is someone's dog on AO. We want to find the owner, if that is you, please describe and what color the leash she was wearing.

We will not be able to keep her, so I am hoping the owner see's this or someone let's them know. If owner not found in another week, we will release the dog to a good (hunting) home. The lab loves retrieving and I am convinced someone has started her on duck retrieval.

Please PM me with info.

Thanks,

AlazyS

rugatika
01-24-2013, 01:26 AM
Looks like he hasn't been on the forum for 5 days. Maybe if someone knows him they could give him a shout. Be good to see the owner and dog reconnected.

AlazyS
01-25-2013, 11:55 PM
Hi, sorry all, I have been super busy. Business and two little kids do not allow for a lot of computer time. PM has been sent with my cell number. I am really hoping this is their dog. That would be fantastic !!!

Thanks everyone !

AlazyS :sHa_shakeshout:

Lefty-Canuck
01-26-2013, 08:37 AM
Let us know the outcome.

LC

AlazyS
01-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Update = no luck.

Net Tender
01-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Update = no luck.

Booooo, but thanks for the update.

doetracks
01-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Rats :(

pickrel pat
01-28-2013, 10:30 PM

X2. Been driving with my dogs in the box for 25 years..... They love it. Wouldnt dream of cramming my dog into one of those dog crate thingys.... To me THAT is inhumane. Probably gives the dog a complex too. What if one of his doggy buddies seen him? They would tease him of having poodle tendencys.....
Op... Hope you dont give up on the dog.

Dakota369
01-29-2013, 09:40 AM

For any that don't believe here are a few links

http://www.spca.bc.ca/welfare/campaign-issues/dogs-in-pick-up-trucks.html

http://www.utahhumane.org/shelter/education-center/dogs/dogs-pickups-bad-idea

Dakota369
01-29-2013, 09:43 AM
X2. Been driving with my dogs in the box for 25 years..... They love it. Wouldnt dream of cramming my dog into one of those dog crate thingys.... To me THAT is inhumane. Probably gives the dog a complex too. What if one of his doggy buddies seen him? They would tease him of having poodle tendencys.....
Op... Hope you dont give up on the dog.

I'm sure your kids would too........ you gonna let them???

densa44
01-29-2013, 10:15 AM
They are for the animal's safety. I know how bad you would feel if someone hit your truck and your dog was hurt or worse.

Having your dog in a kennel is in the dog's best interest for sure.

tri777
01-29-2013, 10:52 AM
I googled laws for aberta regarding dogs in the box,but nothing comes up..what are Ab laws,this SHOULD be easily found this info!!!anyone?

Dakota369
01-29-2013, 11:35 AM
I googled laws for aberta regarding dogs in the box,but nothing comes up..what are Ab laws,this SHOULD be easily found this info!!!anyone?

Not everything is that easy unfortunately. I know in Calgary there is a by-law against it, and in BC

" It's against the law. Section 72 of the BC Motor Vehicle Act prohibits the transport of an unsecured pet in the back of a pick-up truck. Under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act you can also be charged for cruelty to animals if your pet is injured."

Alberta may just be a bit behind........ I will look harder when I have the chance

tri777
01-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Thanks Dakota..if nothing is found,you can bet the next officer i see parked anywhere, i will be approching him/her directly for the answer!
It really is a case of true ignorance on my part letting my dog ride back there and not knowing about these secreted laws.

Also,Some of those links you gave me really are cases of common-less sense though,i mean an owner has to be real sh**faced to not have a tailgate,or not have their dogs trained to sit the h*ll still whilst driving.My dog always sits on one spot in the box while driving and i can always watch him right in the same place in my drivers side mirror,we are always making eye contact like that while having an outing(s). Most of those case are dog owners who have zilch relationships with their family K-9's.

Dakota369
01-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks Dakota..if nothing is found,you can bet the next officer i see parked anywhere, i will be approching him/her directly for the answer!
It really is a case of true ignorance on my part letting my dog ride back there and not knowing about these secreted laws.

Also,Some of those links you gave me really are cases of common-less sense though,i mean an owner has to be real sh**faced to not have a tailgate,or not have their dogs trained to sit the h*ll still whilst driving.My dog always sits on one spot in the box while driving and i can always watch him right in the same place in my drivers side mirror,we are always making eye contact like that while having an outing(s). Most of those case are dog owners who have zilch relationships with their family K-9's.

Really...... you mean you haven't noticed how common sense is really not that common any more????

Even as much as what you are saying is true, what happens to your pooch if some azzhat rear-ends you? Or of you get clipped passing through an intersection........ as well not all dogs are as good at controlling their chase instinct as yours, since if you go and read all the testimonials about what can occur often the dog voluntarily jumps out when it see's something that triggers it. All it takes is this happening once and fido is hitting the concrete at 100 kph (potentially) and/or causing an accident where people get injured.....

Bottom line is that it is not a good idea, and just because you are lucky and have never had an issue does not mean it should be perpetuated, regardless of any "secrete" laws......

gunnargsd
01-29-2013, 03:34 PM

Calgary has a by-law that prohibits dogs from being loose in the bed of a truck. They have to be kenneled or tethered in such a manner that prevents them from being able to to go past the edge of the bed with anything more than thier head. I dont think there is any privincial legislation that prohibits it.

Opps I see that someone already mentioned that:sign0161:

pickrel pat
01-30-2013, 04:24 AM
I'm sure your kids would too........ you gonna let them???

You comparing your child to your dog?
It would be safer by far to put hockey helmets on your kids everytime they walked out the door as well, but we have to draw the line somewhere. For me, my dog in my truck box isnt crossing that line. For you it is. Thats great.

Dakota369
01-30-2013, 09:18 AM
You comparing your child to your dog?
It would be safer by far to put hockey helmets on your kids everytime they walked out the door as well, but we have to draw the line somewhere. For me, my dog in my truck box isnt crossing that line. For you it is. Thats great.

I guess I have to spell this out for you as you seem unable to get it...... :sign0161:much like children, pets, dogs etc. are reliant on us as pet owners to keep them safe....... just like I would not let a child run free and be out of my sight in an area where there is a bear or cougar known to be I would not let my pooch run off after a yote that is trying to lure it over the hill.......nor would I let a child ride in the back of my pick-up, nor a dog, because plain and simple......it is dangerous............in my opinion people who do these types of things are irresponsible, and should not be allowed to have children/pets...........

:snapoutofit:

gitrdun
01-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Being that dogs will literally lay down their lives for a good owner, they deserve nothing less than riding on the passenger seat with a doggie seat belt. The truck box is for cargo, not man's best friend. Just "my" opinion.

MK2750
01-30-2013, 10:00 AM
I guess I have to spell this out for you as you seem unable to get it...... :sign0161:much like children, pets, dogs etc. are reliant on us as pet owners to keep them safe....... just like I would not let a child run free and be out of my sight in an area where there is a bear or cougar known to be I would not let my pooch run off after a yote that is trying to lure it over the hill.......nor would I let a child ride in the back of my pick-up, nor a dog, because plain and simple......it is dangerous............in my opinion people who do these types of things are irresponsible, and should not be allowed to have children/pets...........

I am so sick of people comparing dogs to children. Do you realize this is an anti-hunter's first weapon of choice.

Ask anyone who has been unfortunate enough to loose a child if their dog is just like one of the kids.

You don't seem to get it so I will spell it out for you. When a person looses a family member they are changed for life. When a person looses a dog they go buy another one.

We are one step away from saying a White-tail is every bit as intelligent and feeling as a dog. You wouldn't go hunting dog would you?

I lost my dog this summer to old age. Cried my fool head off for a day or two and went looking for a breeder.

I lost my best friend to a drunk driver in September north of Sylvan Lake. We have been friends for 20+ years. What F$%^ing dog?

A dog is no safer loose in the cab of a vehicle than loose in the back unless he is buckled up or in a bubble. In fact I would like to know the amount of accidents caused by yuppies driving around with a hybrid mutt on their lap and not watching the road.

I grew up riding in the back of trucks and so did all of my friends AND all of our dogs. By the grace of God we all survived to adult-hood and I know of NO-ONE that has lost an animal or kid from the back of a truck. I do personally know several that have died in the front.

Life is a fragile thing. You or your dog can go at any minute. Enjoy the day and let others enjoy theirs. What is too DANGEROUS for you is just another day for someone else AND none of your concern.

Bigwoodsman
01-30-2013, 11:13 AM
I am so sick of people comparing dogs to children. Do you realize this is an anti-hunter's first weapon of choice.

Ask anyone who has been unfortunate enough to loose a child if their dog is just like one of the kids.

You don't seem to get it so I will spell it out for you. When a person looses a family member they are changed for life. When a person looses a dog they go buy another one.

We are one step away from saying a White-tail is every bit as intelligent and feeling as a dog. You wouldn't go hunting dog would you?

I lost my dog this summer to old age. Cried my fool head off for a day or two and went looking for a breeder.

I lost my best friend to a drunk driver in September north of Sylvan Lake. We have been friends for 20+ years. What F$%^ing dog?

A dog is no safer loose in the cab of a vehicle than loose in the back unless he is buckled up or in a bubble. In fact I would like to know the amount of accidents caused by yuppies driving around with a hybrid mutt on their lap and not watching the road.

I grew up riding in the back of trucks and so did all of my friends AND all of our dogs. By the grace of God we all survived to adult-hood and I know of NO-ONE that has lost an animal or kid from the back of a truck. I do personally know several that have died in the front.

Life is a fragile thing. You or your dog can go at any minute. Enjoy the day and let others enjoy theirs. What is too DANGEROUS for you is just another day for someone else AND none of your concern.

Well done Sir!

Slow clapping of hands

BW

Dacotensis
01-30-2013, 11:19 AM
I know several guys who are in wheelchairs for the rest of their lives due to riding in the back of a truck.
Let's start with Rick Hansen. I'm sure you guys know who he is.

Dogs don't belong in the back of a truck.
I am confident a law was brought in about 6 years ago.

MK2750
01-30-2013, 11:40 AM
I know several guys who are in wheelchairs for the rest of their lives due to riding in the back of a truck.
Let's start with Rick Hansen. I'm sure you guys know who he is.

Dogs don't belong in the back of a truck.
I am confident a law was brought in about 6 years ago.

Wonder what happened that day? From an interview in the Globe,

The driver never sought him out? Mr. Hansen shakes his head. And he never wanted to find him? "Maybe one day." He pauses thoughtfully. "Because I hope that he wouldn't be living with any guilt." The driver had had a couple of beers and lost control. He too was uninjured. "Life happens for whatever reason," says Mr. Hansen.

Looks like another impaired driver. There should be a law against that.

Dakota369
01-30-2013, 11:43 AM

I will repeat it since you missed it.....

I guess I have to spell this out for you as you seem unable to get it...... much like children, pets, dogs etc. are reliant on us as pet owners to keep them safe.......

Not comparing dogs to children, just saying that they do have some similar characteristics in regard to how (especially when kids are younger) they are dependent on us as owners/parents to make the correct decision in regard to their safety......

And....... a number of years ago, if pulled over by the cops hammered, they gave you the tisk-tisk, and put in the back of the cruiser and dropped you off at home...........did you want to go back to that or realize that to make things better for everyone we should learn when things are dangerous and evolve and stop behavior that is dangerous?? How are you gonna feel when you or yours are injured/killed in an accident caused by a dog that was riding in the back of a truck unsecured and jumped out?? It is always easy to feel that you can do whatever you feel is correct if you have never been impacted by said behavior, but collectively we should try and learn from others mistakes no?

I grew up never wearing a seat-belt, and used to sleep on the deck beneath the back window of the car on long road trips.......... that doesn't mean I am going to allow or teach my own children to not wear a seat-belt.......

Do you let your kids ride around in the open box of your truck???? (and no I don't mean just to ride from the house to the barn etc........)

MK2750
01-30-2013, 12:18 PM
I will repeat it since you missed it.....

I guess I have to spell this out for you as you seem unable to get it...... much like children, pets, dogs etc. are reliant on us as pet owners to keep them safe.......

Not comparing dogs to children, just saying that they do have some similar characteristics in regard to how (especially when kids are younger) they are dependent on us as owners/parents to make the correct decision in regard to their safety......

And....... a number of years ago, if pulled over by the cops hammered, they gave you the tisk-tisk, and put in the back of the cruiser and dropped you off at home...........did you want to go back to that or realize that to make things better for everyone we should learn when things are dangerous and evolve and stop behavior that is dangerous?? How are you gonna feel when you or yours are injured/killed in an accident caused by a dog that was riding in the back of a truck unsecured and jumped out?? It is always easy to feel that you can do whatever you feel is correct if you have never been impacted by said behavior, but collectively we should try and learn from others mistakes no?

I grew up never wearing a seat-belt, and used to sleep on the deck beneath the back window of the car on long road trips.......... that doesn't mean I am going to allow or teach my own children to not wear a seat-belt.......

Do you let your kids ride around in the open box of your truck???? (and no I don't mean just to ride from the house to the barn etc........)

It is you that is missing the point.

We and every other thing living are going to die. The only question is when and how.

If we take a serious look at serious injury and death we will soon realize that 99.99% of us are not going to be killed in the back of a pick up NOR are we going to be shot down by a homicidal maniac, swept away by tornadoes or fall victim to an out break of bird flu regardless of what the media would have us believe.

In reality, should our death or injury be accidental, we will be driving along minding our own business completely oblivious to the fate that awaits us.

Should kids be allowed in vehicles at all? Many are killed and injured in them.

Should dogs be allowed to run free? Many get lost, never to be seen again.

In hind sight every death could be put off but never avoided no matter how much we deny the ultimate out come.

If a person looks at the alternative is dieing suddenly with the wind in your hair and a smile on your face really that bad. Is old age, heart disease, cancer and all the other fun times that await us and our four legged friends really the best scenario.

Call me extremist but I envy the chuck wagon racers, nascar drivers, sky drivers and yes even those that dare to take a ride in the back of a pick up truck. There is always the threat of dying but there is no risk of not living in these people's lives.

So continue on trying to create a law that will avoid the inevitable and force your control on those of us too uneducated to know what is good for us, but please remember the only way to eliminate death is to completely sterilize life and all activities worth living for.

BTW Do you Liberal much?

DustDee
01-30-2013, 12:42 PM
x2

Fox red lab
01-30-2013, 12:54 PM
What works for me is both dogs in their respective crates strapped in the box of the truck. They're safe and happy and so am I. To each there own though.

Hunter Trav
01-30-2013, 12:55 PM

We and every other thing living are going to die. The only question is when and how.

If we take a serious look at serious injury and death we will soon realize that 99.99% of us are not going to be killed in the back of a pick up NOR are we going to be shot down by a homicidal maniac, swept away by tornadoes or fall victim to an out break of bird flu regardless of what the media would have us believe.

In reality, should our death or injury be accidental, we will be driving along minding our own business completely oblivious to the fate that awaits us.

In hind sight every death could be put off but never avoided no matter how much we deny the ultimate out come.

If a person looks at the alternative is dieing suddenly with the wind in your hair and a smile on your face really that bad. Is old age, heart disease, cancer and all the other fun times that await us and our four legged friends really the best scenario.

Call me extremist but I envy the chuck wagon racers, nascar drivers, sky drivers and yes even those that dare to take a ride in the back of a pick up truck. There is always the threat of dying but there is no risk of not living in these people's lives.

So continue on trying to create a law that will avoid the inevitable and force your control on those of us too uneducated to know what is good for us, but please remember the only way to eliminate death is to completely sterilize life and all activities worth living for.

BTW Do you Liberal much?

:happy0034: Very well put, if my dog liked riding in the back of the truck with the wind in his face, you damn rights I'm going to let him...

Redfrog
01-30-2013, 01:11 PM
A dog loose in the pickup box is a goo way to find out how much a ticket for insecured load is worth.

If you're too cheap to buy a crate fro your dog, leave the poor .........at home. I've seen dogs that were catapulted from truck beds. Some actually survived . One I recall ended up with three legs. Lots of expensive vet bills. And a couple were hanged by the neck until dead or dragged on the gravel.

Restrain your dog. That's common sense.

Fisherpeak
01-30-2013, 02:34 PM
I saw a short leashed dog dead,hanging down the side of a lifted Pick up box in a Safeway parking lot once.
I also one riding on the dry box get chucked out at 60 MPH when his owner swerved to miss a deer.Azzhat never even noticed,the vehicle ahead of me chased him down,flashing and honking.That dog bounced REALLY high and tumbled about 40 times.He died.
My good pup rides in the rig with me,no dirt or bugs in his eyes either.
If you guys want to ride your dog loose in the back,that`s fine.If I see you do it I`ll get your plate # and turn your sorry,iresponsible azz in to the cops and the SPCA.

Just saying.

Dakota369
01-30-2013, 02:36 PM

BTW Do you Liberal much?

Just because I like to do whatever I can to mitigate risk to that which I care for does not make me a liberal........ in fact if you were to ask those that know me I am conservative to the point of it almost being painful.

That being said....... feel free to do whatever you want to risk your own life in whatever manner you wish.... if you are an adult, and of sound mind that is your right, but (and this is the not so common sense part by the way) don't put others at risk without their consent. If another life is depending on your judgement to keep them safe, what exactly is wrong with doing the best you can to keep it safe???? Do you really think that your dog will miss being in the box? If so you don't know squat about dogs....... they live in the moment and only know what they feel at the time, hunger, thirst, pain etc..... Really, that's how you justify your argument ..... "well everything's gotta die sometime"..... :sign0161:

You did not answer any of my questions about drinking and driving, or seat-belts...... did you or are you going to teach your kids that one is ok and not to do the other? (you figure out which is which and get back to me ok????)

Pixel Shooter
01-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Can you say derailed............ a nice guy is nicely trying to find the owner of a lost dog, if you have nothing to ad to the original op, please move on.

You want to get in the debates, create a new thread and discuss civilly. Want to continue down this path in this thread, consider yourselves forwarned. Forcing ones opinions on others wont get you far, you have made shared your view points, now move on. Agree to disagree.

Dakota369
01-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Correct, and I apologize for the derail....... as for the rest..... not so much....

Fisherpeak
01-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Correct, and I apologize for the derail....... as for the rest..... not so much....

X2,sorry.I hope the pup gets a good home.Labs are sweethearts with the family.

AlazyS
02-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Hi all, the Lab has a new home and it sounded like she will have a great life being loved and chasing falling fowl. Thanks BBD, let me know how it goes.

AlazyS

BBD
02-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Thanks again Archie!!

Pixel Shooter
02-04-2013, 04:21 PM
think it is awesome you adopted, good on you and congratulations!!!

if you want any assistance in help training your new hunting partner, dont be shy, happy to help and contribute to this happy ending. although it may cost you one cold beer, rates have gone up :sHa_sarcasticlol:

FishingMOM
02-04-2013, 04:23 PM
think it is awesome you adopted, good on you and congratulations!!!

if you want any assistance in help training your new hunting partner, dont be shy, happy to help and contribute to this happy ending. although it may cost you one cold beer, rates have gone up :sHa_sarcasticlol:

You only charge one cold beer? Damn your cheap! :sHa_shakeshout:

Pixel Shooter
02-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Only in isolated instances and feel good stories :bad_boys_20: lol

You only charge one cold beer? Damn your cheap! :sHa_shakeshout:

BBD
02-04-2013, 05:02 PM
It was a pleasure to meet Archie & his wife yesterday. This dog is a real sweetheart. She wasn't here 20 minutes when she brought me a shed antler off my deck to play fetch with. I've invited Archie to come to my place this fall to do a little bird & deer hunting. Hopefully Penny will be fetching the birds he gets.

AlazyS
02-04-2013, 07:48 PM
I can't wait for fall 2013. Great making new friends, swapping stories and having a couple barley pops !!! :sHa_shakeshout:

Mike_W
02-04-2013, 08:54 PM
That's awsome!! Sounds like it worked out great for everyone and the pooch!!