PDA

View Full Version : Look What I Found

moosehead7
01-15-2013, 06:26 PM
People please use your brains when it comes to fishing. I believe everybody should see this, i was fishing today and caught a northern pike and this is what i found when i filleted this fish... please have cooth and at least use a wire litre when fishing for pike i understand things still happen but this will cut down on them thanks........

http://www.pbase.com/keithrankin/image/148349224/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/keithrankin/image/148349074/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/keithrankin/image/148349225/original.jpg

fishtank
01-15-2013, 06:29 PM
did you found my friend cell phone in it :sHa_sarcasticlol: ( never keep a phone on the chest pocket )

Lefty-Canuck
01-15-2013, 08:39 PM
People please use your brains when it comes to fishing. I believe everybody should see this, i was fishing today and caught a northern pike and this is what i found when i filleted this fish... please have cooth and at least use a wire litre when fishing for pike i understand things still happen but this will cut down on them thanks........ pics are getting posted by pixel shooter

Well....it was alive enough for you to catch and keep and eat it....:)

If you removed the hook and let the fish go then I could understand your point :)

Maybe the guy was targeting walleye? Can't say cause I don't know where you were fishing but it is known that leaders can spook a wary Wally...

I kind of get what you are saying....but with angling there are inherit risks to the fish....I mean we hook them in the mouth and pull them out of the water to have them flop around so we can take pics or eat them....inherit risks.....

LC

Fisherpeak
01-15-2013, 08:43 PM
And it`s COUTH and LEADER.

mooseknuckle
01-15-2013, 08:44 PM
People please use your brains when it comes to fishing. I believe everybody should see this, i was fishing today and caught a northern pike and this is what i found when i filleted this fish... please have cooth and at least use a wire litre when fishing for pike i understand things still happen but this will cut down on them thanks........ pics are getting posted by pixel shooter

Thanks coach!! Ill stick to my homade fluoro leaders when fishing for pike.

moosehead7
01-15-2013, 08:46 PM
And it`s COUTH and LEADER.

the fish couldnt digest that jig and as for a leader nope its a thread and no walleye in this lake and i guess some people dont know much better

Lefty-Canuck
01-15-2013, 08:52 PM
the fish couldnt digest that jig and as for a leader nope its a thread and no walleye in this lake and i guess some people dont know much better

Probably not thread....I am guessing is was braid of some sort....you would be amazed what even small pike can cut through. I lose most of my flies to small pike that snip 40lb salt water flouro like its.....thread....

LC

bubba 96
01-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Actually the plastics are very biodegradable these days, so I don't think it would have harmed the fish, the hook, will decompose as well, I see nothin wrong..and really wire leader, would have just made it worse by having 9 to 10 inches of wire hanging out of his mouth that could get snagged on something...

Lefty-Canuck
01-15-2013, 08:55 PM

I guess we will never know if he could digest it or not....:)

LC

Fisherpeak
01-15-2013, 09:06 PM
I guess we will never know if he could digest it or not....:)

LC

True enough.Bet the fish got digested though:sHa_shakeshout:

Dewey Cox
01-15-2013, 09:08 PM
I think filleting that fish was worse for it's health than leaving a hook in it.

FishingFrenzy
01-15-2013, 09:09 PM
What hurt the fish more, it biting off a lure and swimming away...alive. Or you keeping him and filleting him? :)

I understand what your saying, but its already been said, inherent risks of fishing. We're throwing lures and bait with sharp hooks in it, into the water, in hopes of getting a fish to snag a metal hook in its face. Yes there are certain things that can be done in order prevent fish mortality, but i've had pike get off even with a leader, because they death rolled and got to the end of the leader, then bit it off.

The only solution is too stop fishing

just my 2 cents.

Marlin07
01-15-2013, 09:11 PM
I think filleting that fish was worse for it's health than leaving a hook in it.

I figure the poster improved the fishes way of life. A win win:sHa_shakeshout:

lovich12
01-15-2013, 09:15 PM
What hurt the fish more, it biting off a lure and swimming away...alive. Or you keeping him and filleting him? :)

I understand what your saying, but its already been said, inherent risks of fishing. We're throwing lures and bait with sharp hooks in it, into the water, in hopes of getting a fish to snag a metal hook in its face. Yes there are certain things that can be done in order prevent fish mortality, but i've had pike get off even with a leader, because they death rolled and got to the end of the leader, then bit it off.

The only solution is too stop fishing

just my 2 cents.

Couldn't have said it better myself!! :sHa_shakeshout:

gulfman
01-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Can you imagine how many birds and big game are wounded and not bagged.
Better ban hunting..........

emoric
01-15-2013, 09:24 PM
once i found a rapala in a walleye one entire side of it was decomposed walleye seemed mighty healthy.. things happen when fishing. that's sorta why you call it fishing. sometimes you get the big ones sometimes you get the small ones sometimes you get nothing.

Lefty-Canuck
01-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Look at it this way....you got a meal and you got a hook to catch more meals....only one loser here.....the fish :)

LC

jeffrey929
01-15-2013, 09:27 PM
I see a meal and a free hook... seems like a win win to me :)

bubba 96
01-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Look at it this way....you got a meal and you got a hook to catch more meals....only one loser here.....the fish :)

LC

And you know that hook works...:sHa_shakeshout:

tacklerunner
01-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Sometimes you just gotta shake your head and chuckle.

BeeGuy
01-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Did the fish seem healthy otherwise?

Things happen and we aren't born pro fishermen.

The only wire leaders I have are ones I find on shore or pull out of snags...

AppleJax
01-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Can I have my hook back? Thanks

Walnut999
01-15-2013, 10:34 PM
one of the funniest threads ever, made my day

BuckHunterBowen
01-15-2013, 10:54 PM
You killed the fish...maybe someone hooked it deep and cut the line and released it...you took its poor life. :snapoutofit:

I got a moose with a broad head in its shoulder. Mr moose was extremely healthy. Kicker was there was about a half foot of thread still attached to the broad head.
:fighting0030:
No one fishes with thread :love0025:

HunterDave
01-15-2013, 11:10 PM
What were you using for bait and how'd it taste?

JohninAB
01-16-2013, 05:12 AM
All I can say to the OP is someone maybe cut their line to release a deep hooked fish to let it live and then you kill it and complain about their effort. Not well thought out on your part.

FishingMOM
01-16-2013, 06:22 AM
The only wire leaders I have are ones I find on shore or pull out of snags...

Still havent figured out why you guys need wire leaders for fishing pike.
Only time we ever used leaders was for MUSKIE

Like beeguy I collected ones I found.
Heck I had a collection of rods, reels and tackle from guys who lost their stuff, threw it over board in a fit of rage or even had their stuff dragged off by fish.

Loved to dive down or even snag a log to clear it of FREE Tackle.

bubba 96
01-16-2013, 08:14 AM

Heck I had a collection of rods, reels and tackle from guys who lost their stuff, threw it over board in a fit of rage or even had their stuff dragged off by fish.

muskie, pike same amount of teeth, next time ya get one take a look in its mouth..

taken from wikipedia...

Muskellunge closely resemble other esocids such as the northern pike and American pickerel in both appearance and behavior. Like other pikes, the body plan is typical of ambush predators with an elongated body, flat head and dorsal, pelvic and anal fins set far back on the body. Muskellunge are typically 28–48 inches (0.71–1.2 m) long and weigh 5–36 pounds (2.3–16 kg),[1] though some have reached up to 6 feet (1.8 m) and almost 70 pounds (32 kg).[2] The fish are a light silver, brown, or green with dark vertical stripes on the flank, which may tend to break up into spots. In some cases, markings may be absent altogether, especially in fish from turbid waters. This is in contrast to northern pike which have dark bodies with light markings. A reliable method to distinguish the two similar species is by counting the sensory pores on the underside of the mandible. A muskie will have seven or more per side, while the northern pike never has more than six. The lobes of the caudal (tail) fin in muskellunge come to a sharper point, while those of northern pike are more generally rounded. In addition, unlike pike, muskies have no scales on the lower half of their opercula.

MartyM
01-16-2013, 08:24 AM
I've wondered from time to time what kind of treasures one may find on the bottom of Lake of the Prairies. I know there are a pair of my glasses down there, dad's good ice bar, brother's favorite rod & reel and lord only knows what else.

Twisted Canuck
01-16-2013, 08:48 AM

Sounds like something a pearl diver would do.

Lefty-Canuck
01-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Sounds like something a pearl diver would do.

If I could count how many times I saw an angler toss his gear over the side of his boat in a fit of rage boy I tell you.....I would be a very lucky person after I free dived down to collect the gear....too bad I need water wings.

LC

Twisted Canuck
01-16-2013, 05:49 PM
If I could count how many times I saw an angler toss his gear over the side of his boat in a fit of rage boy I tell you.....I would be a very lucky person after I free dived down to collect the gear....too bad I need water wings.

LC

Only a pearl diver can go release somebody's gear.......

Stally77
01-16-2013, 06:35 PM
:[QUOTE=FishingMOM;1803641]Still havent figured out why you guys need wire leaders for pike.
Are you being serious?:sHa_sarcasticlol:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-16-2013, 06:42 PM
My question is what is a wire leader going to do preventing a fish from swollowing a hook ?

moosehead7
01-16-2013, 06:45 PM
My question is what is a wire leader going to do preventing a fish from swollowing a hook ?

well just maybe the line wont happen to break if there is a leader

01-16-2013, 06:56 PM

Fare enough but now how do you know the line wasn't Cut , because the fisherman Cut the line after knowing he wasn't getting that hook out and playing surgeon .

I know I've hooked fish deep , particularly walleye , and simply cut the line as close as I can to the hook and let it live .

It's going to be a 50 % chance that fish is going to live nd be fine and a 50% chance it's going to become pelican food .

Jbone
01-16-2013, 07:06 PM

Forget about it, that points 2 miles back after it went over some heads

seahawkfisher
01-16-2013, 07:12 PM
i say good thing there was no leader; that wouldda been in that fish's belly too - that might have killed the fish before you had the chance to...
cheers

Albertadiver
01-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Only a pearl diver can go release somebody's gear.......

With barbell for wieghts to get down there....

01-16-2013, 08:16 PM

I got forceps lol

New Hunter Okotoks
01-16-2013, 10:17 PM

Remember that scene from Shallow Hal where that "girl" dove into the pool?........ For some reason I can picture that happening around Lake Erie or Lake Ontario.

She could do a cannonball off the "old pier" and send huge logs from the depths 100's of feet onto the shore. Then she could waddle back to shore through the mud where water used to be to retrieve the tackle-bounty from the watersoaked logs.