PDA

View Full Version : Buying fish from commercial fishermen

yoteblaster
01-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Can you buy fish from commercial fishermen right on the ice? If so, is it usually expensive? I can,t seem to catch fish this year to save my life, so might have to buy some delicious burbot if possible.

Ultimate Predator
01-15-2013, 07:36 PM
You can buy them usualy 3-4 bucks a fish bought a few whites last year cant remember when lacstanne by gunn

sturgeonhound
01-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Yes, you can buy them directly from the commercial fisherman. Make sure you get a bill of sale (might even be a bill of lading) from the commercial fisherman that has his license number, name and contact info. A fellow was stopped on hiway 2 last year after buying 100 plus whitefish from a commercial fellow on pigeon. Police called F&W and the fellow had no proof he bought them from a commercial fisherman......got in real hot water. You can imagine the conversation adn the explaining he had to do!

SH

Kim473
01-16-2013, 04:10 AM
Yes, you can buy them directly from the commercial fisherman. Make sure you get a bill of sale (might even be a bill of lading) from the commercial fisherman that has his license number, name and contact info. A fellow was stopped on hiway 2 last year after buying 100 plus whitefish from a commercial fellow on pigeon. Police called F&W and the fellow had no proof he bought them from a commercial fisherman......got in real hot water. You can imagine the conversation adn the explaining he had to do!

SH

Says all this in the regs.

stgwynn74
01-16-2013, 10:10 AM
buck and pigeon lake white fish are jumbo go for 7-10 bucks , fish will be for sale next tuesday to friday out of pigeon lake.

livinstone
01-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Can you buy fish from commercial fishermen right on the ice? If so, is it usually expensive? I can,t seem to catch fish this year to save my life, so might have to buy some delicious burbot if possible.

WHY support netters they are another big secert that not a lot of people seem to know happens and when the word that a lake might be getted netted the netters either do a no show or change time :snapoutofit: one more reason not waste hard eaned money on a licence or the that leaves you furasated and hunger with the f/w are done with you .

AdAMxr
01-16-2013, 04:33 PM
WHY support netters they are another big secert that not a lot of people seem to know happens and when the word that a lake might be getted netted the netters either do a no show or change time :snapoutofit: one more reason not waste hard eaned money on a licence or the that leaves you furasated and hunger with the f/w are done with you .

couldnt agree more

Wild&Free
01-16-2013, 04:46 PM

Lack of grammar makes this very hard to interpret.

yoteblaster
01-16-2013, 06:36 PM

I agree with you about not supporting netters, never actually thought about that. Not sure what the balance of the reply means though. Grammar is brutal!

Who Da Fisherman
01-16-2013, 09:06 PM

Huh? Please speak Internet English.
What I get from this is l you are against netting. So with no netting, up the catch limits for fisherman. The people who benefit from having bought a fish because they cannot get out loses by having to buy at store prices. One scenario. What about the family that nets and this is a portion of their yearly income? Another scenario.
This can go on for umpteen scenarios, just my 2$ and FYI that is what I can buy a whitefish for.

Fishingaddict
01-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Where around calgary can you buy fish at that price preferably whitefish and legally:) already checked web nutin

stgwynn74
01-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Pigeon lake tuesday till friday will be selling fish , they are NOT the 1-2lb white fish that go for 2-3 bucks , these are the jumbo whites that go for 7-10 about 5lbs , folks line the exits on buck lake to pay this , hutterites ect . they are legal to sell to anyone , with a reciept with the licence number number of fish bought and species listed.

208prov
01-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Huh? Please speak Internet English.
What I get from this is l you are against netting. So with no netting, up the catch limits for fisherman. The people who benefit from having bought a fish because they cannot get out loses by having to buy at store prices. One scenario. What about the family that nets and this is a portion of their yearly income? Another scenario.
This can go on for umpteen scenarios, just my 2$ and FYI that is what I can buy a whitefish for.

Netting is part of my dads income, And i myself know when right from wrong, The commercial fisherman were bought out in ab(some of them) But my dad fishes sask as he lives there and the ab fisherman and bioligest are trying to shut down commercial fishing on cold lake , Ok if they want to shut it down pay the fishermen out like ab did, This isnt a debate its logic, Ab wants the lake, Not saying give the fisherman mega dollars but give them something cause you are taking there living away, Now the bioligest CHAD is shutting it down, We used to catch 130 boxes of whites in 2 days, More than the rest of the sask commercial fisherman put together, But we didnt want trout, No market for them, I say zone the lake and keep out of the known trout areas.

whitetail Junkie
01-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Netting is part of my dads income, And i myself know when right from wrong, The commercial fisherman were bought out in ab(some of them) But my dad fishes sask as he lives there and the ab fisherman and bioligest are trying to shut down commercial fishing on cold lake , Ok if they want to shut it down pay the fishermen out like ab did, This isnt a debate its logic, Ab wants the lake, Not saying give the fisherman mega dollars but give them something cause you are taking there living away, Now the bioligest CHAD is shutting it down, We used to catch 130 boxes of whites in 2 days, More than the rest of the sask commercial fisherman put together, But we didnt want trout, No market for them, I say zone the lake and keep out of the known trout areas.

Ive been commercial fishing with my uncle before and for every 200 whitefish we caught,we might have caught one pike or walleye.....maybe??

The biologist in southern alberta told me that if some man made lakes down here are'nt commercial fished for whites,they would eat out alot of eggs from game fish,such as pike&walleye,there for these lakes would have less game fish.....

overparr
01-17-2013, 02:54 PM

I'm curious to ask so I will, what part of your dad's income was greater and was he taxed on his commercial fishing.. Where is he selling his fish? Is there a commercial fish plant in operation that he takes his fish to ??

208prov
01-17-2013, 02:56 PM
I'm curious to ask so I will, what part of your dad's income was greater and was he taxed on his commercial fishing.. Where is he selling his fish? Is there a commercial fish plant in operation that he takes his fish to ??

Yes taxed and commercial plant sent to

overparr
01-17-2013, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=208prov;1805991]Yes taxed and commercial plant sent to[/QUOT
I hope you don't mind me asking you but where is the commercial plant . I have seen fish caught from Primrose Lake (commercial nets) selling from their trucks in Lloydminster. Not just white fish but walleye (pickeral) Northern Pike and lake trout.

Piker
01-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Years ago I was net gishing yellow lake by Grassy Lake. It was the first time it had been netted. Me and my buddy hauled in 3000lbs of jumbo whites in one pull. Being just after iceout we had no way to cool that many so Billingsgate from Calgary came down and brought everything including the suckers we had about 500lbs of them. I am assuming they still do the same thing now. There used to be a plant in Big River Sask.many years ago do not know if it is still running. Piker

208prov
01-17-2013, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=208prov;1805991]Yes taxed and commercial plant sent to[/QUOT
I hope you don't mind me asking you but where is the commercial plant . I have seen fish caught from Primrose Lake (commercial nets) selling from their trucks in Lloydminster. Not just white fish but walleye (pickeral) Northern Pike and lake trout.

Anyone can sell privately if you want, they have there own plant in pierceland, sold to Plant is in big river, Everyone sells privately cause you get way more money for your fish that way, AND no lake trout in primrose, Maybe 1-2 fish per year,

overparr
01-17-2013, 05:16 PM
So the plant is in Big River now and not in Pierceland is that what you are saying. Yes I agree with you that no lake trout come from Primrose. Can the Saskatchewan residents with a commercial licence fish the Saskatchewan side of Cold Lake or is this lake completely closed to netting can the natives net this lake thank-you for helping me out with these questions in advance

208prov
01-17-2013, 06:40 PM
So the plant is in Big River now and not in Pierceland is that what you are saying. Yes I agree with you that no lake trout come from Primrose. Can the Saskatchewan residents with a commercial licence fish the Saskatchewan side of Cold Lake or is this lake completely closed to netting can the natives net this lake thank-you for helping me out with these questions in advance

Yup there trying to close the sask side fishing for commercial fisherman on cold lake.

overparr
01-18-2013, 07:57 AM

How much of your dad's livlihood depends on commercial fishing percentage wise and no matter where you fish for whites there will always be trout . the trout are in all depths of cold lake as well as most areas. Can you answer all of my questions this time thanks in advance

208prov
01-18-2013, 08:57 AM
How much of your dad's livlihood depends on commercial fishing percentage wise and no matter where you fish for whites there will always be trout . the trout are in all depths of cold lake as well as most areas. Can you answer all of my questions this time thanks in advance

Not really any of your bussiness how mush a part of his living it is

tight line
01-18-2013, 10:09 AM

Trout? You think the only lake that gets netted is Cold Lake? And like it affects Cold any worse than the sport fishing... Healthy lake IMO. Net fishing is no different than fishing Rod and Reel, it is a lively hood alot of people take seriously...

tight line
01-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Ive been commercial fishing with my uncle before and for every 200 whitefish we caught,we might have caught one pike or walleye.....maybe??

The biologist in southern alberta told me that if some man made lakes down here are'nt commercial fished for whites,they would eat out alot of eggs from game fish,such as pike&walleye,there for these lakes would have less game fish.....
Great point!

overparr
01-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Not really any of your bussiness how mush a part of his living it is

just as I thought, something tells me that his livlihood does not depend on commercial fishing and therfore should not be compensated by the government

208prov
01-18-2013, 11:49 AM
just as I thought, something tells me that his livlihood does not depend on commercial fishing and therfore should not be compensated by the government

If you must know since your so smart approx 60% right now of his living is fishing!!!