PDA

View Full Version : Perch fishing the brooks/taber area

zoolander89
01-16-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone fishes any of the smaller lakes around the area for perch? I know a lot of people go to newell, keho, badger ect. But i perfer to fish smaller lakes, just a personal preference. Im only wondering if it would be a waste of time, and i would be better off investing the time into fishing one of the larger lakes.

Thanks in advance

zoolander89
01-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Im not looking for specific lake names or honey holes, i just want to know if the area is worth it. I moved to calgary about two or three years ago and this is my first year attempting ice fishing south of edmonton. Any help would be good

Guitarplayingfish
01-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Perch fishing in your area is very limited. There are a few places... but i know for a fact one of them has stunted perch. Sherburne is probably your best bet.

zoolander89
01-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the info, I actually live in calgary i just figured this sermed to be the best areafor lakes with perch in them. I work with a guy from England that has never gone ice fishing before. So i figured perch fishing or maybe trying out spray lakes might be a good first outing

pinelakeperch
01-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the info, I actually live in calgary i just figured this sermed to be the best areafor lakes with perch in them. I work with a guy from England that has never gone ice fishing before. So i figured perch fishing or maybe trying out spray lakes might be a good first outing

I'd just hit Newell for some Northerns. That is unless he has an aversion to Pike fishing. I've caught a ton of Perch in Nanton's pond but they aren't very big unfortunately.

zoolander89
01-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks jhutter, maybe ill give newell a go on sunday and see how it goes.

Zenfishdude
01-23-2013, 08:00 PM
There is a place in Calgary that has perch. It's called Carburn Park Ponds. It's located in the SE in the area of Riverbend Area. There are 3 ponds. Go to the 3rd one which is furthest away from the parking lot for the park. This pond should be directly across from street Riverside Close. I read this in couple of forums and it's listed in the Alberta Fishing Guide. I tried it a couple times in the summer. I was unsuccessful in catching perch, but did see a jumbo perch close to shore and caught some hammer handle pike on a fly rod. I have not tried ice fishing there yet.
For Lethbridge, there's a pond called Nicholas Sheran Park, address Columbia Blvd Ave W & McMaster Blvd W. In area Southwest of the pond by the 2 islands, shortly after the walking bridge, there are tons of perch. I almost limit out when I was fly fishing from the float tube in the summer. I'm sure that for ice fishing it would as good as in the summer.

Fishingaddict
01-23-2013, 10:11 PM
In the summer I love going to 40 mile reservoir catch 30 little perch a day off dock little jig head piece of minnow and you can just drop it down or cast it out and you can see the perch bite the hook good for kids:) that's how I got my friends and brother into fishing was there. I caught a pike there was 80cm long fishing with my moms friends daughters if that makes sense scared the living day lights out of the the youngest ran away off the dock screaming:sHa_shakeshout: good old slough sharks:)

AK47
01-24-2013, 09:39 AM
There is a place in Calgary that has perch. It's called Carburn Park Ponds. It's located in the SE in the area of Riverbend Area. There are 3 ponds. Go to the 3rd one which is furthest away from the parking lot for the park. This pond should be directly across from street Riverside Close.

Hey, I am looking at satellite picture of the area and I only see two ponds. Big one and small one with island in it. So I assume you are talking about big one right? Might give it a try as it is so close.

Zenfishdude
01-24-2013, 09:27 PM
Yes the biggest is the one to fish for perch. There use to be a very small pond where people would practise kayaking. Not sure what happened to that.

slough shark
01-24-2013, 10:08 PM
There is a 3rd lake, you have to go up a little further from the big one, it's right along the river, only a small barrier separating it.

AK47
01-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Ok, in satellite picture the most north one has connection to river so I was thinking it is some kind of river bay.
I was reading about bad winter kill in 2d one couple years ago, wonder if there is still any perch left. Plus with bait ban it would be quite challenging to catch them ( not that it is impossible, but may not be worth spending time and effort on it)