MtnGiant
01-16-2013, 07:10 PM
These are pics taken today of hundreds of dead pike

Douglas N
01-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Where?

huntsfurfish
01-16-2013, 07:22 PM
I believe those pics have been around for a year or more. I remember something like that occuring down in the states (i think). On or near a reserve.

gettin old, might be wrong though. OP says taken today.

Kokanee9
01-16-2013, 07:23 PM
A little more information would be appreciated.

lifesaflyin
01-16-2013, 07:25 PM
looks like lake X to me!

Dewey Cox
01-16-2013, 07:29 PM
That's what happens when you don't use a wire leader:p

MtnGiant
01-16-2013, 09:56 PM
I believe those pics have been around for a year or more. I remember something like that occuring down in the states (i think). On or near a reserve.

gettin old, might be wrong though. OP says taken today.

Yes...taken today at lake X....but it is in the Calgary area and nowhere near a Reserve.
One of the guys that lives on the lake said it's fairly common winter kill due to lack of oxygen. But he also said it's a couple mnths early and there are usually a lot of perch dead as well.

It was very weird to see and there were several live ones amongst the dead as well.

It's one of those lakes that does not get a lot of pressure...so....You dont get the name. I know yawl understand.

EDMfishing
01-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Brings back memories of the sturgeon river some years back...:(

BeeGuy
01-16-2013, 11:17 PM
A whole lot of 'nutrients' flowing/oozing into that lake.

My understanding is that fish kills and toxic algae advisories are common place.

Pikehunter13
01-16-2013, 11:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Q1_mS6gb7BI

Jump to about 6 mins in and 8 mins.

:angry3::angry3::angry3::angry3:

fishermansfriend
01-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Alot of nice fish in that vid, they probably fed alot of people in there families.

MtnGiant
01-16-2013, 11:47 PM

HOLY CRAPOLA!!!!!!
Wish I was an armed F&W man.
Human ignorance and scum never ceases to astonish me!?!?!?!?!?!?

pickrel pat
01-17-2013, 12:02 AM
HOLY CRAPOLA!!!!!!

? what?

BeeGuy
01-17-2013, 12:06 AM
HOLY CRAPOLA!!!!!!

And what are you going to do as an armed F&W that you can't do as an armed civilian?

HunterDave
01-17-2013, 12:12 AM
Yes...taken today at lake X....but it is in the Calgary area and nowhere near a Reserve.

Well, you might as well say which lake because it looks like all of the fish are dead in it anyway. :(

HunterDave
01-17-2013, 12:19 AM

It looks like a bunch of guys that sledded 3 hours and are catching fish to eat.

What are you seeing at the 6 min and 8 min mark that I'm missing? :confused:

huntsfurfish
01-17-2013, 12:22 AM
Must be the wrong video. Couldnt find anything at those times either.

MtnGiant
01-17-2013, 12:23 AM
It looks like a bunch of guys that sledded 3 hours and are catching fish to eat.

What are you seeing at the 6 min and 8 min mark that I'm missing? :confused:

The netting...legal or not....I don't agree w/ it and never have.

MtnGiant
01-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Well, you might as well say which lake because it looks like all of the fish are dead in it anyway. :(

There's still plenty o fish in that lake Mr Dave.
Large (20+ lb) pike and 10"-12" perch

MtnGiant
01-17-2013, 12:27 AM
And what are you going to do as an armed F&W that you can't do as an armed civilian?

One method is legal....the other is not....hmmmmmm

fishermansfriend
01-17-2013, 12:34 AM
An armed f&w cant do anything other than ticket and fine and at most remove the equipment, they're not going to shoot them. In this case since they are Aboriginals they more than likely have the right to net and fish this lake.

Like it or not there people where here first and they have rights just like you and I.

pickrel pat
01-17-2013, 12:41 AM
That video is from the northwest territorys. Perfectly legal and no shortage of fish. How old are you?

BeeGuy
01-17-2013, 12:43 AM
An armed f&w cant do anything other than ticket and fine and at most remove the equipment, they're not going to shoot them. In this case since they are Aboriginals they more than likely have the right to net and fish this lake.

Like it or not there people where here first and they have rights just like you and I.

Nailed it.

Mntgiant, if you don't like it write your local representative or other govt rep and lobby for change.

MtnGiant
01-17-2013, 01:04 AM
Nailed it.

Mntgiant, if you don't like it write your local representative or other govt rep and lobby for change.

I dont like it....and I do voice my opinions (along w/ others) to the proper officials.
Make no mistake....I dont just sit on my azz or computer.
I make moves to make changes...hunting/fishing/conservation.

And....dont be so thick headed....there is proof that native indians as we know them....were NOT the first peoples on this continent.

And!!!...who said anything about shooting anybody????

How old / knowledgeable / or intelligent are you??????

BTW...I'm answering to more than 1 reply

waterninja
01-17-2013, 04:26 AM
very impressive video. going 80km. by skidoo? i don't agree with net fishing but the rest of it (though brutal looking) looks like one hell of a day. i would bet that wherever these guys were it was a planned legal harvest.
feel a little sad that those big pike were not put back as they have to be older than any fisherman there. did seem to be a lack of respect by those guys in the way the fish were handled.

Icefisher2885
01-17-2013, 07:37 AM
That video is from the northwest territorys. Perfectly legal and no shortage of fish. How old are you?

Yep. TheWildNorth is a metis trapper that lives and works along the Hay River in the NWT. His camp is only accessible by boat and ski-doo - its in the boonies. These guys are acting legally on a piece of water that I would imagine gets no pressure. If you take the time to watch his videos (I've watched em all) you'll see that hes an ethical guy. He has one of the best channels on all of youtube, in my opinion.

Kyle
01-17-2013, 09:02 AM
There's still plenty o fish in that lake Mr Dave.
Large (20+ lb) pike and 10"-12" perch

The biggest fish are the first ones to winterkill. They need the most oxygen. Also you might want to change the file name on your pics..looks like you named the lake :sHa_sarcasticlol:

FishingFrenzy
01-17-2013, 09:24 AM
The pics are clearly of fish that have been killed by some biological factor I.E. winterkill. What the hell does netting have to do with it? Looks that that vid is from the territories, it was likely a LEGAL netting so what is the issue. They have to get food from somewhere up there, would you be happier with a video where they are out shooting caribou?

Anyone wanna get back on topic?

Other than winterkill I cant think of what caused that, and also what caused the huge hole in the ice?

1bigboomstick
01-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Hey Giant
I was thinking of going there Saturday, usually go once a year.
Did you fish? How did you do?
What caused the hole?

jacenbeers
01-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Was this at Frank Lake?

stc77
01-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Lol, these were taken at Bruce. The picture filenames are Bruce anyways... so one can assume they are from bruce. Anyways, pretty crazy..

bubba 96
01-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Lol, these were taken at Bruce. The picture filenames are Bruce anyways... so one can assume they are from bruce. Anyways, pretty crazy..

or its his name

pikergolf
01-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Frank doesn't have that many fish, and they are quit a bit larger in Frank.

Mike_W
01-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Yep. TheWildNorth is a metis trapper that lives and works along the Hay River in the NWT. His camp is only accessible by boat and ski-doo - its in the boonies. These guys are acting legally on a piece of water that I would imagine gets no pressure. If you take the time to watch his videos (I've watched em all) you'll see that hes an ethical guy. He has one of the best channels on all of youtube, in my opinion.

X2 Andrew is a good guy .... lives off the land and works hard doing it!!!

pickrel pat
01-17-2013, 01:33 PM

ive watched em all too...... its the real deal, not all staged stuff you watch nowadays..... 5/5 stars.

Wild&Free
01-17-2013, 01:57 PM
The netting...legal or not....I don't agree w/ it and never have.

I'm sure if you had to survive off of fishing you would much rather a net then a rod and reel.