PDA

View Full Version : No more barbless?

shorthair ptr.
01-16-2013, 10:18 PM
This may be old news but I just read in the Dec. AO mag. that Alberta anglers no longer have to use brabless hooks. The change was made back in 2011.
Did I read this correct or what? I don't have the regs available (hard copy) in hand to see what they say.:confused:

Pikehunter13
01-16-2013, 10:19 PM
This may be old news but I just read in the Dec. AO mag. that Alberta anglers no longer have to use brabless hooks. The change was made back in 2011.
Did I read this correct or what? I don't have the regs available (hard copy) in hand to see what they say.:confused:

Yup.....
Any doubts contact your local F&W office.

Barbed for me when I go to harvest fish.

shorthair ptr.
01-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Damn right, i'll be doing the same. I will say IMO that i have not seen where barbless has saved anymore fish.

Bigdad013
01-17-2013, 12:02 AM
I'll be staying barbless, IMO i think it makes you a better fisherman.
Why is it some are so eager to go with barbs? Been losing too many fish? Curious

huntsfurfish
01-17-2013, 12:20 AM
Lots of threads dealing with the barbed/barbless issue.

Like to see the evidence/science that makes you a better fisherman.:)LOL

MtnGiant
01-17-2013, 12:33 AM
Its catch 22....
Barbless can pierce thru further and do more damage...while....
Barbed can do more damage extracting it.
You decide

Blairh
01-17-2013, 12:40 AM
Its catch 22....
Barbless can pierce thru further and do more damage...while....
Barbed can do more damage extracting it.
You decide

Does the barb really slow it down THAT much? Either way barbless takes much more skill imo, and its much easier on the fish. Would u rather have a hook go through ur hand and easily come out? or go half way in and take half ur hand with it when removed?

MtnGiant
01-17-2013, 01:12 AM
Does the barb really slow it down THAT much? Either way barbless takes much more skill imo, and its much easier on the fish. Would u rather have a hook go through ur hand and easily come out? or go half way in and take half ur hand with it when removed?

I didnt say either one is better....reading and comprehension is important.
And yes the barb does slow the protrusion.....and yes it has been proved.
And...we're not talkin about what it does to humans for @#!* sakes man

thorne
01-17-2013, 07:55 AM
I gotta say I am a little more leaning to my best interests not the fishes....way eaasir i find for me to remove a snagged hook from cloathing, skin, rope, boat gear and what not with a barbless. I have fished for 15 years with my kids and when the barbless law came out it was like Devine Inspiration!! Never gave it anythought until then. Reduced the time it took me to untangle lines and snags by hours a day. I still manage to sink one in my own skin everynow and then, anyone who does alot of finshing knows it happens, and barbless sure makes a big difference in a little *****, so I can only imagine the difference it make in a fish. I have not noticed any big difference in fish landed vs lost in regards to using barbless, so ill probably keep barbless..

Hunter Trav
01-17-2013, 08:47 AM
I've gotten so used to barbless that the other day I had a new hook on that didn't get pinched, and I couldn't figure out why it was so hard to get the hook out...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Realized it was still barbed, and promptly pinched them down. The ease of hook removal is what will keep me barbless from now on...

shakeyleg02
01-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Try flyfishing in this southern alberta wind and get one stuck in your eye brow yeeeoch ill pinch da barbs thanks

omega50
01-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Try flyfishing in this southern alberta wind and get one stuck in your eye brow yeeeoch ill pinch da barbs thanks

I was fishing off the dock at Faust a few years back and some local kids where casting spoons and one guy hooked his buddy thru the lip with a big honking barbed treble hook on his backcast.
I watched in amusement for a few minutes as the kid( about 15 years old) would run down the dock and his buddy would reel him back in and then I walked back to my truck for my vicegrips w/ wirecutters.

The victim was exceedingly grateful, but the angler was not happy about losing 1/3 of his treble hook

shakeyleg02
01-17-2013, 09:46 AM
I was fishing off the dock at Faust a few years back and some local kids where casting spoons and one guy hooked his buddy thru the lip with a big honking barbed treble hook on his backcast.
I watched in amusement for a few minutes as the kid( about 15 years old) would run down the dock and his buddy would reel him back in and then I walked back to my truck for my vicegrips w/ wirecutters.

The victim was exceedingly grateful, but the angler was not happy about losing 1/3 of his treble hook

Lol...ya I can tell you a size 14 hurts just as much comin out as a size 6 streamer pattern just a smaller hole with #14

Winch101
01-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Fishing yesterday, iced several small pike up to 7 lbs or so ,
Using my homemade smelt rig ....with Mustad treble 2x 1/0
all the barbs are pinched .....for this application I would never go back
to barbs big enough pain getting out barbless trebles.
I am even considering cutting one of the tangs off the treble on my next manufacturing session .

Now with jigs I may consider come spring leaving the barbs on

only for Bait presevation......as most fish are released and were hooked

in the lip. I have devised a good method of keeping bait on Barbless hooks

works pretty well ....but not as well as a barb.

Just took all my trebles off my rapalas etc....put on Mustad
octopus I think , single shank , have not pinched the barbs ....we shall see.

ak-71
01-17-2013, 09:50 AM
When done right single barbed hooks are not hard to remove from fish.

nekred
01-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Barbed vs barbless...

There are so many factors.... we compared a barbed treble hook to a single barbless and found with the barbed treble hook when two hooks were in that the hooks did not go as deep and the barb held hock in place and keppt "sawing" to a minimum.

Barbless hooks on CnR fishermen especially those with light tackle actually created way more damage...because line had to be kept tight there was more pull on the fish plus sustained fight with direction changes created more "drilling and sawing" thuse ended up hooking deeper. but release is easier.

Either way proper release technique played more of a key in survival than hooking method.

Crankyfish
01-17-2013, 11:29 AM
General Sportfishing Restrictions 2012 Regulations
It Is Unlawful To:
Use a hook that is not a barbless hook

Albertafisher
01-17-2013, 12:09 PM
I love barbless hooks, its much easier to remove the hook and honestly I don't really loose that many fish when using barbless or barbed. As long as you keep the pressure constant you wont loose the fish.. With Salt water it's a bit of a different story.

McLeod
01-17-2013, 12:25 PM
General Sportfishing Restrictions 2012 Regulations
It Is Unlawful To:
Use a hook that is not a barbless hook

You won't see that in the regs this year

iamkorean
01-17-2013, 12:57 PM
with barbless hooks at first, I lost quiet a bit but as I kept fishing, learned (and still learning) how to keep the light tight just before the point where it snapppps (4lbs test).
I find this more challenging than 10+lbs test line with barb on single or treble hooks.
back in the days, where i landed fishes that are not to keep but by trying to unhook 'barbed' hook, I ended up killing many...
I guess we are all free from the regulation so the choice is ours...
Many of us say 'I respect fishery' and so do I. and I choose to stay barbless for this reason. but~ what do i know, i'm just a newbie who's still learning.
Cheers.

DanaS
01-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Barbless for me for all my fishing. Single hook as well as long as it does not significantly affect the action of the lure. After many years of fishing with and without barbs, I do truely feel that since switching to barbs my fish have been released in better shape. No, no evidence. This is from my experience only. I am content with my decision, but you are all capable of making your own

mooseknuckle
01-17-2013, 01:03 PM
When done right single barbed hooks are not hard to remove from fish.

Agreed, when using a treble I'll likely pinchthe barbs. However if I'm using a single hook with plans to keep one for dinner, I'm keeing the barb on.

dodgeboy1979
01-17-2013, 02:48 PM
i find the barbs keep bait on better, i would rather keep mine all barbed for that reason.

BuckHunterBowen
01-17-2013, 03:04 PM
So better fishermen are barbless fishermen. Wonder how many tournament guys fish barbless when the barbs are legal.

Mutter87
01-17-2013, 03:11 PM
The tournament guys use piano wire and skip the bass across the lake when they catch them.

overparr
01-17-2013, 03:43 PM
With the barbless rule not in effect in Alberta what about a border lake such as Cold Lake Alberta . Is it a barbless lake or not.

Bigdad013
01-17-2013, 04:29 PM
So better fishermen are barbless fishermen. Wonder how many tournament guys fish barbless when the barbs are legal.

I'm not sure, but if they do, maybe it would be to not lose a fish. A little slack, a turn of the head and gone with barbless.

uplander
01-17-2013, 06:31 PM
So it would appear as though I missed the boat on all this barbed/barbless stuff so can we go back to having barbed hooks right now or do we have to wait until march 31st?

fishyuncle
01-17-2013, 07:56 PM
The fishing Regulations clearly state

General Sportfishing Restrictions

It Is Unlawful To:

Use a hook that is not a barbless hook. (in the regs this line is even BOLDED)

Mutter87
01-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Just follow the fighing regulations book.

Jimboy
01-18-2013, 12:08 AM
The fishing Regulations clearly state

General Sportfishing Restrictions

It Is Unlawful To:

Use a hook that is not a barbless hook. (in the regs this line is even BOLDED)

Not any more

trooper
01-18-2013, 12:15 AM
When did this change? I'll have to pick up a copy of the regulations...

trooper
01-18-2013, 12:21 AM
:budo:I just checked the on line regulations and they still say that it's unlawful to fish with a hook that is not barbless...

BeeGuy
01-18-2013, 12:45 AM
Check the SRD site.

The gov made an announcement.

It is posted there somewhere

gunner022
01-18-2013, 02:25 AM
With the barbless rule not in effect in Alberta what about a border lake such as Cold Lake Alberta . Is it a barbless lake or not.

Saskatchewan is not barbless except when specifically indicated for a lake. There are a few, but given the health of the Cold Lake fishery, I think you are good to go barbed. I have this years Sask regs, if you really NEED to know for upcoming fishing, pm me and I'll look it up.

RavYak
01-18-2013, 02:30 AM
Good news, my trout pond hooks will be staying barbed from now on if possible. Barbless is fine for pike and walleye imo but it sure can make trout tricky and when I go for muddy pond trout I want to eat the little buggers lol.

bammer1
01-18-2013, 05:21 AM
Barbless is really for trout/char IMO.The other species are way tougher, less fragile.

WayneChristie
01-18-2013, 05:42 AM
http://mywildalberta.com/
Direct quote from MyWildAlberta.com
Anglers asked to go barbless

Alberta’s anglers are encouraged to keep barbed hooks out of the province’s waters.

A federal amendment to the Alberta Fishery Regulations inadvertently removed the barbed hook ban. The province is working with the Government of Canada to determine the appropriate next steps.

Eddy62
01-18-2013, 07:45 AM
i will be using barbed hooks when i feel its the right time. and then i will be using barbless also when its the right time.

win,win situation......................later :sHa_shakeshout:

Crankyfish
01-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Our government is so ridiculous! To go and change the regulations in the middle of the season and refund fines sense Sept. If they are going to refund these fines, well then they should have to refund all fines sense going barb less was change.You already have to keep the regs in your back pocket just to keep up with different lakes. Now you have to keep the internet close at hand. Why didn't they just wait till the start of the new season?

kevinhits
01-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Our government is so ridiculous! To go and change the regulations in the middle of the season and refund fines sense Sept. If they are going to refund these fines, well then they should have to refund all fines sense going barb less was change.You already have to keep the regs in your back pocket just to keep up with different lakes. Now you have to keep the internet close at hand. Why didn't they just wait till the start of the new season?

Wasn't in the middle of this season.It was dated back to September 2011