PDA

View Full Version : delete

splake0
01-17-2013, 04:21 PM
I heard on the radio this morning that a big, I mean big crack opened up around Garnet Beach. So be careful out there.

tight line
01-17-2013, 07:47 PM
Figured something was gonna happen, was there two weeks ago and there was no heaves on shore like there usually is!( on the points )

waterninja
01-17-2013, 08:00 PM
was invited to go fishing at cold lake for a couple days. never been there and never caught a laker. thanks for the heads-up.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Just be careful how fast your traveling across the ice like you should at any lake , be observant know your ice thickness and your will be fine .

Was out there last year in about 50-60 feet of water where we sat up there was 18 inches of ice moved 30 or so feet and there was 5 or so inches .

Greatgraywolf
01-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Be alert for another crack, about 2 miles out from the marina. It goes from the Provincial Park area to somewhere north of the Cold Lake Marina. It ranges in width from 12 inches to 18 inches. Beware driving east from the marina toward Garnet. This morning I couldn't find anywhere I dared cross it.

jaystev
01-17-2013, 10:33 PM
are people driving across the bay from prov. park? Just on my way up there now. Ive never been before and that is the area ive been told to go? any one feel like showing a guy around? tight lines..

Richmuiz
01-17-2013, 10:46 PM
I heard on the radio this morning that a big, I mean big crack opened up around Garnet Beach. So be careful out there.

Thank you very much I'm headed out tomorrow for two days

-JR-
01-18-2013, 05:04 AM
How thick is the ice now that it has been warm for a while.

splake0
01-18-2013, 05:56 AM
How thick is the ice now that it has been warm for a while.

Hasn't been warm here!

Well 1 day only ....

We just got a big dump of snow...so that will compound problems out there.

FisherGrrrl
01-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Are the cracks easy to see or will they be covered by the snow dump? I'm heading there tonight

LCCFisherman
01-18-2013, 10:27 AM
They'll be covered. Still snowing here. Will have a look this afternoon for ya.

FisherGrrrl
01-18-2013, 10:38 AM
They'll be covered. Still snowing here. Will have a look this afternoon for ya.

ok great :)

AppleJax
01-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Are the cracks easy to see or will they be covered by the snow dump? I'm heading there tonight

Ill follow your tracks in the morning ;)

pikeslayer22
01-18-2013, 10:50 AM
X-2

FisherGrrrl
01-18-2013, 10:50 AM

lol ya right :P i'm following your tracks in the morning, or im taking your sled :P

AppleJax
01-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Any info on conditions is appreciated. Safety of our group is priority!

mooseknuckle
01-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Any info on conditions is appreciated. Safety of our group is priority!

The fact that your going to be there ajay. I think safety waved bye bye along time ago.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

AppleJax
01-18-2013, 11:18 AM
The fact that your going to be there ajay. I think safety waved bye bye along time ago.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Zing! Thanks Tari.....AJ

Levy
01-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Just drove out there to see how my cousin was doing. From what i could see there was a crack that opened up and had flood water right by provincial park too. Everyone drove right over it, but with the strong wind tonight who knows what could happen out there over night.

If there was a crack by garnet it didn't seem to slow anyone down tonight. I saw around 10 vehicles come from that way. Also good luck following old tracks. We cleaned out a hole walked to the vehicle put hook on and came back and couldn't find the hole. I ended up knee deep cursing on the ice. We couldn't see any sign of the old tracks on the way out either so be careful, if you are planning on following old tracks to avoid cracks in the ice. If the cracks are dangerous you likely won't be able to see them the one we saw was completely covered once the wind came up so maybe pack a life jacket.

Highways in the area are dangerous and blowing snow is a factor just to let you guys from the city who might be driving out know. We run a towing, and snow plowing business and are going full tilt right now.

Also just a heads up driving 100 km's an hour ice will significantly improve your chances of breaking through, and winning a darwin award. Watched some Dingle Berry in an Avalanche racing across the lake just to make it home a few minutes earlier. I would rather be late than not get home.

LCCFisherman
01-21-2013, 07:20 AM
Heard of two trucks that went through on cold this weekend. With all the snow this is going to be a BAD BAD year for vehicles on the ice.

bingo1010
01-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Do you know what part of the lake this happened?

LCCFisherman
01-21-2013, 09:15 AM
W side

FisherPotch
01-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Any chance you could elaborate? W side is purdy vague for a lake like cold

LCCFisherman
01-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Birchridge estates

Greatgraywolf
01-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Heard of two trucks that went through on cold this weekend. With all the snow this is going to be a BAD BAD year for vehicles on the ice.

Did they drop a wheel in or go right through? My posting of 3 days ago warned of a crack that was over 12 inches wide starting from the CL Prov Park(about midway from the picnic area to the PP boat launch) and headed northwest. It could well have ended at the shoreline somewhere around Birch Ridge Estates. Perhaps I also should have warned people about driving north from the marina as well as east.
It scared me so much I won't go near that area!

208prov
01-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Did they drop a wheel in or go right through? My posting of 3 days ago warned of a crack that was over 12 inches wide starting from the CL Prov Park(about midway from the picnic area to the PP boat launch) and headed northwest. It could well have ended at the shoreline somewhere around Birch Ridge Estates. Perhaps I also should have warned people about driving north from the marina as well as east.

One was birch estates

Bigwoodsman
01-21-2013, 06:59 PM

Not everyone who goes on the lake reads AO you can only do what you can do, when you need to do it. If they don't have respect for the ice or the conditions there will always be those who break through.

As a driver who has over 100,000km logged driving on ice with over size loads and loads in excess of 150000 pounds I have respect for the ice. Excessive speed will weaken the ice and cause guy ot go through. High winds on a lake like Cold will make the ice do strange things as well. Growing up on that lake you could hear it boom once in a while.

BW

AppleJax
01-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Apparently this is a picure of the guy who went in. Was on facebook. I spent the weekend on the ice and it was fine, didn't see any open water or cracks. Looking at that picture I wouldn't have stepped foot on where it happened. Always comes down to human error IMO.

mooseknuckle
01-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Apparently this is a picure of the guy who went in. Was on facebook. I spent the weekend on the ice and it was fine, didn't see any open water or cracks. Looking at that picture I wouldn't have stepped foot on where it happened. Always comes down to human error IMO.

I know the gentleman who owns this truck, okay we don't hang out on a daily basis but I do know He's a seasoned veteran. I can honestly say this was one of those "chit happens" freak occurances.

He's safe and sound and the truck is fine, he may have had to get a clean pair of underwear though.

AppleJax
01-21-2013, 08:18 PM
I know the gentleman who owns this truck, okay we don't hang out on a daily basis but I do know He's a seasoned veteran. I can honestly say this was one of those "chit happens" freak occurances.

He's safe and sound and the truck is fine, he may have had to get a clean pair of underwear though.

So if he parked on shore and tried punching a hole before he went on would it still be a freak occurance? Complacency catches up with anyone.... Glad he's okay.

mooseknuckle
01-21-2013, 08:31 PM
So if he parked on shore and tried punching a hole before he went on would it still be a freak occurance? Complacency catches up with anyone.... Glad he's okay.

Absolutely fair argument AJ. And maybe your right I think experience can also be bad sometimes. We can get to comfortable and forget that nature can never really be trusted.... That beeooooch!!

tight line
01-22-2013, 08:27 AM

Seen a guy go through last year, he knew the crack was there, we got over on a quad on a safe spot, he tried it in a 1 ton ford...see some real Munsons out there... Lol