PDA

View Full Version : Anchovies/Herring

Dark
06-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Does anyone know of any grocery stores that sell whole frozen anchovies or herring. I leave next friday for Whiskey Cove near Bella Bella and would like to purchace my bait here.

TundraBuck
06-12-2008, 03:15 PM
I get mackerel at Superstore/Extra Foods.

dss44
06-12-2008, 04:00 PM
I'd suggest purchasing it on the coast...and go with anchovies for the salmon. Octopus for the hali's ;)

Unregistered user
06-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Superstore has them in bags here for cheap and they're for human consumption and work well for bait. At the coast you'll find Rhys Davies brand herring/chovies for fishing only, they are brighter and have all the fins intact. Cost more but well worth it. Do a google on brining bait, if you don't already do it. Have a blast out there.

Hooked
06-12-2008, 06:05 PM
T&T asian supermarket in WEM will have anything you need.......they don't waste anything!!

Even get the octipus there

Walleyes
06-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Presentation is everything with these fish.. These are not hungry Pike that will eat anything that is in the water. Even when you do everything right they are hard to trick. After spending all the money to get there you certainly don't want to cheap out and blow the trip with crappy bait.. Get the very best you can,, wait until you get out west and by it fresh.. No doubt about it...

lippy
06-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know of any grocery stores that sell whole frozen anchovies or herring. I leave next friday for Whiskey Cove near Bella Bella and would like to purchace my bait here.

Why on earth would you want to buy your bait here? To safe a few bucks? I agree with walleyes spend the extra money and getter done right..you never know if you will ever get the opportunity again! Have fun:)

acedave3
06-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Try Baitrix on the net and you would not need live bait. Fishing Hole has them.

dss44
06-13-2008, 12:52 AM
I don't think he was refering to live anchovies :P Bait works best on the West Coast 95% of the time...period.

Dark
06-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Just curious as to why frozen anchovies/herring for human consumption would be not as good for bait as the anchovies sold for bait?
I was trying to get all my gear in order prior to leaving so I would'nt have to spend time driving around towns pulling my boat trying to find bait. When I fish the coast my time is spent fishing. What I mean by that is I stay on the water usually from sun up to sun down as I am addicted to the sport, kinda like a junkie. The wife hates the driving part of the trip because I don't stop till I get there might sneak a cat nap on the road.
Any advice as to where to buy bait on the road or perhaps I may have to buy it in Shearwater?
I have bought my bait here before and used it on the coast never had a problem catching salmon on it. But I guess it all depends on timing and if the fish are biting.
And walleyes I have had lots of days on the coast where the salmon were easier to catch than pike. Hell I have had days were I could only run one rod as 2 was to much work, but I usaully fish Bamfield and the QCI and try to be there for prime time.

Thanks for the advice, maybe I will try a little experimenting

Walleyes
06-13-2008, 09:59 AM
And walleyes I have had lots of days on the coast where the salmon were easier to catch than pike. Hell I have had days were I could only run one rod as 2 was to much work, but I usaully fish Bamfield and the QCI and try to be there for prime time.

Well there are the times unfortunetly they are few and far in between and Pinks don't count,,,, lololo

Dark
06-13-2008, 11:10 AM
How did you know? But we have had days on the QCI were I've caught chinooks on pike spoons even caught em on red devils if you can believe it. My first time out there was in 89 I only had standard alberta hooks and just slayed em, but that was a different time things have changed.

drivinman22
06-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Presentation is everything with these fish.. These are not hungry Pike that will eat anything that is in the water. Even when you do everything right they are hard to trick. After spending all the money to get there you certainly don't want to cheap out and blow the trip with crappy bait.. Get the very best you can,, wait until you get out west and by it fresh.. No doubt about it...

The herring sold in sport shops here IS bait herring

Dark
07-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Well we made it to Bella Bella and back fishing was so so, same old thing aweek to early. We did manage to catch 12 chinook and 6 hali's and numerous rock fish and red snapper or yellow eye, As for the bait bought here compared to the bait bought out west, all I can say is we out fished the shearwater guide boats on most days and that was with my bait bought here. I must say I did buy some rye davis anchovies in Prince Rupert (I got sidetracked and needed more fishing and went left at Prince George) hehe and they are a much nicer looking anchovie but they didn't seem to improve my luck. Overall a good trip but next year it's back to the QCI for this redneck. Total milage on the boat 540 thats alot of gas for the fishing we had
I think it would be cheaper to pay the ferry and fish the QCI