PDA

View Full Version : Is this F&W solution to unsustainable trout harvest at Cold Lake?

Levy
01-18-2013, 08:02 PM
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l505/levy23/IMG_0242_zps8381b0c0.jpg

Many of the people I talk to out at Cold lake seem to think that we could never fish the lake out. Had a stranger walk up to me the other day and tell me I should have kept the 87cm trout i released. Personally I choose to slot size fish and keep nothing over 75 and the smaller the better IMO. Cold lake is a rare lake producing great lake trout fishing and being easily accessed by thousands of people each year. I just want to share some information that may help persuade someone from taking more fish than they need or be able would enjoy.

It is my understanding that the harvest rate and incidental mortality rate have been at or above sustainable levels to keep up with natural reproduction for a number of years. I believe this article states that clearly.

http://www.coldlakesun.com/2011/05/03/growing-sport-fishery-threatens-lake-trout-alberta-srd

If i have interpreted the information properly after stocking 2 million lake trout over 22 years the lake trout population was hovering around a whopping 25 000 fish in 1985 (On a side note I believe if I believe If an effort this extensive was made to reestablish a lake trout population in Touchwood lake we would have two lake trout lakes in the lake land area). Since 1985 Cold Lakes lake trout population has significantly improved by means of natural reproduction, and over the past 28 years the population has grown to nearly 500 000 fish.

Fishing isn't always about putting something in your belly. Every once in a while its good to learn something new and put something between your ears.

EZM
01-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Well said. Lake trout are not that common out here in Alberta and this prized game fish should be carefully managed.

Each one of us can do their own part in making good choices on harvesting our game fish.

It all starts with good information and understanding the impact we exert on each fishery.

Ken07AOVette
01-18-2013, 08:26 PM
It was pretty easy for me, went a bunch of times, never caught anything in slot size.

Spent a grand or 2 getting down rigger, gear, better fishfinder, caught a ton of huge fish in slot size, kept and ate one.

It was terrible, I don't fish for lake trout anymore.

GregT
01-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Conservation is the name of the game. We are lucky as fisherman/women in that we can pull fish out of the water all day long with all fish going back to the lake. This does take a)skill to catch fish all day, but more importantly b)caution and common sense to safely release fish. As a hunter catch and release isnt really an option. For those who NEED to keep their limit, wouldnt a tag system such as the walleye draw be a more effective way to manage all fish populations? For example if someone wanted to fish perch for a year get a book of 25 tags; catch them all at once or through out the year its their choice but it would limit the freezers full of fish. even though they are suppose to fall within the possession limits. i dont know just a little rant i guess. i had some extended family that always fished until they caught thier limit and it just didnt sit right.

AppleJax
01-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Im gonna bring one home for the smoker this weekend, its my legal right. Will put everything else back.

GregT
01-18-2013, 09:10 PM
nothing wrong with that. everyone likes a tasty treat!

huntsfurfish
01-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Conservation is the name of the game. We are lucky as fisherman/women in that we can pull fish out of the water all day long with all fish going back to the lake. This does take a)skill to catch fish all day, but more importantly b)caution and common sense to safely release fish. As a hunter catch and release isnt really an option. For those who NEED to keep their limit, wouldnt a tag system such as the walleye draw be a more effective way to manage all fish populations? For example if someone wanted to fish perch for a year get a book of 25 tags; catch them all at once or through out the year its their choice but it would limit the freezers full of fish. even though they are suppose to fall within the possession limits. i dont know just a little rant i guess. i had some extended family that always fished until they caught thier limit and it just didnt sit right.

Depends on the water body. If it will support catch and keep then allow it. If tags are needed so be it, it is just one management tool. If it will support a 3 fish 1fish or 10, you dont need tags to blanket the province. Hunters have the choice shoot dont shoot. You have the same option as a fisherman.

EZM
01-18-2013, 09:46 PM
I would support a wider regulation with a specific max limit tag system for specific lakes and/or specific species which are vulnerable to over-harvest for sure.

That's a good idea.

I don't think it would work province wide for a "one shoe fits all" approach.

Perch would have to be lake specific for sure - there are many lakes over-run with the stinky little striped piranhas that need a larger harvest in order to benefit the other species within that lake.

There are few Pike lakes that are the same - over-run with hammer handles.

tight line
01-18-2013, 10:40 PM
Always keep one 70-80cm. Love bbq'd lake trout! Let the bigger guys swim. Maybe im just getting used to catching them, but every trip the fishing is better! Im sure If i counted the fish i mark in a day it would be in the hundreds, maybe more... Lol. Definately think its a stable fishery, but agree that a slot size would increase the number of larger 20+ lbers. Although i think the big guys are there, see some pretty big marks on the sonar, just think they have seen their fair share of jigs. Great thread and article! Love Lake trout, and thankfull that we have such a great lake close to home!

BuckHunterBowen
01-18-2013, 10:42 PM
They should stock some lakers in wiau.

Mutter87
01-18-2013, 10:52 PM
This is the same with all fish, takes 10+ yrs to reach maturity and then someone goes and keeps them, then they complain about more regulations.

I support a tag system for most fish. The tag would have your name on them to prevent selling.

bobalong
01-18-2013, 11:37 PM
Sustainability is the key for sure, and tight line it is nice to have a great fishery close to home, but do you remember when we all used to have great lakes close to home.

AppleJax
01-18-2013, 11:43 PM
This is the same with all fish, takes 10+ yrs to reach maturity and then someone goes and keeps them, then they complain about more regulations.

I support a tag system for most fish. The tag would have your name on them to prevent selling.

10+ years to maturity, where are you getting your information? Lake trout yes, all other fish....no

Mutter87
01-19-2013, 01:41 AM
10+ years to maturity, where are you getting your information? Lake trout yes, all other fish....no

It takes 10+ years for Pike or Walleye to reach decent size.

AppleJax
01-19-2013, 05:33 AM
It takes 10+ years for Pike or Walleye to reach decent size.

And have spawned several times.... Managing fisheries isn't all about trophy sized fish(if at all). If that's what it was modeled on in Alberta, we would have a lot more problems on our hands. Keep throwing them back, as will I. But try to understand both sides of the fence, and not just your trophy mentality.

Geezle
01-19-2013, 06:04 AM
Word on the street is that next season there will be a slot size for lakers in Cold...anybody have any info on this? :thinking-006:

bingo1010
01-19-2013, 07:49 AM
75cm min size is what i am hearing

laker
01-19-2013, 08:27 AM
The Lakeland Fisheries Advisory committee, was a group of concerned anglers from the area that was formed to try and convince SRD that something needed to happen to help protect the lake trout, from basically becoming like it was those many years ago. SRD believed there was no real problem and was not willing to change a thing at the time. That billboard was developed to try and educate those fishing the lake, what it takes to keep the resource going. Well, now they(SRD) see what the committee was trying to say 10 years ago. Thankfully the commercial fishery has pretty much disappeared in the meantime.

There may even be an extended seasonal closure. It was also discussed back then.

Penner
01-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Thankfully the commercial fishery has pretty much disappeared in the meantime.

Thankful for that. The Native's still net Cold Lake all the time.

208prov
01-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Word on the street is that next season there will be a slot size for lakers in Cold...anybody have any info on this? :thinking-006:

Rumor 1 over 75 cms

Kokanee9
01-19-2013, 11:44 AM
I believe that Cold Lake has the potential to actually be the best lake in AB if it is managed properly.

fisher Gord
01-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Cold lake has an additional problem of being partly in Sask. they want to manage both sides with one set of regulation. Our present tag system won't work for Sask, and they have stopped a slot harvest where a smaller trout could have been kept. So the 75 cm is the best short term solution to reduce harvest. and maybe some big fish can grow even bigger.
Gord

waterninja
01-19-2013, 03:54 PM
ukriy grtyk gfgnm

blackonblackfx4
01-19-2013, 11:38 PM

I couldn't agree more, sure its a little more hassle to apply for but it keeps the system more honest and most of all controllable. I would love to see a present day study done on Touchwood to restock lake trout into it, its really sad to read what happened in the 20's when commercial fishing was permitted to devastate the lake. Why not go in the winter to deep water in the lake and drop the lakers right into the depth where they wont get eaten as much by large walleye and pike. Just makes a heck of a lot more sense to me than what happened in the Lakes of Lac La Biche when they dropped them in the warm water at the campsite. I'd be more than willing to help lobby to restock the lake if anyone else is on board?

Walleyes
01-20-2013, 08:06 AM
I spend many hours out on Cold Lake every summer for the last few years, I would hate to geuss at how many trout I land a season, last year well over 100 trout,, I kept 1 for the smoker and 1 for the table a 67cm fish. The general concensus with the fishermen I talk to is we all head out there for the big one,, like the 20# plus fish,, they are getting hard to find.. Not to keep one,, just snap a quick pic and off it goes..Upping the size limit will do nothing to help this the only way to improve the trophy quality is to stop keeping the trophies !! A slot size has to be implimented on this lake. Yes the trout fishery is awesome out there with no shortage of fish,, but they are small fish.. That lake gets hit hard in the winter so hard I don't even want to be a part of it,, I feel they should get a rest in the winter,, just my thoughts not judging here.. Why can't this province ever get it right,, why are they so bull headed and bass ackwards in dealing with these issues.. As a new resident to the area I plan on becoming very involved in the issues of this lake. I will be pushing for a slot size or even a tag system. This province seems to be hell bent on tags here is a place they could be used effectivly.

saskfly
01-20-2013, 10:33 AM
I spend many hours out on Cold Lake every summer for the last few years, I would hate to geuss at how many trout I land a season, last year well over 100 trout,, I kept 1 for the smoker and 1 for the table a 67cm fish. The general concensus with the fishermen I talk to is we all head out there for the big one,, like the 20# plus fish,, they are getting hard to find.. Not to keep one,, just snap a quick pic and off it goes..Upping the size limit will do nothing to help this the only way to improve the trophy quality is to stop keeping the trophies !! A slot size has to be implimented on this lake. Yes the trout fishery is awesome out there with no shortage of fish,, but they are small fish.. That lake gets hit hard in the winter so hard I don't even want to be a part of it,, I feel they should get a rest in the winter,, just my thoughts not judging here.. Why can't this province ever get it right,, why are they so bull headed and bass ackwards in dealing with these issues.. As a new resident to the area I plan on becoming very involved in the issues of this lake. I will be pushing for a slot size or even a tag system. This province seems to be hell bent on tags here is a place they could be used effectivly.

A winter closure would devastate every Nuffie in the area...BUT...Man would that work! Cold Lake on a weekend is a gong show!

CBintheNorth
01-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Citizens involved in managing this fishery were pushing for a tag system or a slot size but Saskatchewan wanted no part of those. From what I've heard there will be an increase to 75cm next season which is too bad.

If you are one of the many fishermen to visit this lake in the coming years consider putting the larger fish back. I understand that the law is the law and you can keep one over 65 (75)cm, but if you're lucky enough to be holding up an 18+ pounder, consider trying for a smaller fish for the table.

December and January are vulnerable months for lakers as the large females have just finished spawning and this is the only time of year that these fish are more aggressive feeders than the smaller fish. The average size of fish caught in these two months is staggering compared to the open water season. Because of this, the amount of people fishing in January and February are in such a critical spot to adversely affect the age structure of this lake.

Hopefully a better thought-out management plan is being worked on for the future.

EZM
01-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Interesting ....... I thought Lakers spawned in late fall before the ice - like late September to Late October.

I did not realize they just finished spawning.

I don't like the idea of a "one slot only" retention management plan. I think tags would be best (specific slot sizes, for specific length).

If Sask doesn't like this idea, maybe various have slot sizes by range of dates.

That way you get harvest of all sizes resulting in a more uniformed impact on the total population instead of taking one age group out.

208prov
01-20-2013, 02:59 PM
Citizens involved in managing this fishery were pushing for a tag system or a slot size but Saskatchewan wanted no part of those. From what I've heard there will be an increase to 75cm next season which is too bad.

If you are one of the many fishermen to visit this lake in the coming years consider putting the larger fish back. I understand that the law is the law and you can keep one over 65 (75)cm, but if you're lucky enough to be holding up an 18+ pounder, consider trying for a smaller fish for the table.

December and January are vulnerable months for lakers as the large females have just finished spawning and this is the only time of year that these fish are more aggressive feeders than the smaller fish. The average size of fish caught in these two months is staggering compared to the open water season. Because of this, the amount of people fishing in January and February are in such a critical spot to adversely affect the age structure of this lake.

Hopefully a better thought-out management plan is being worked on for the future.
Have caught them with spawn in the bellie in mid march, Problem is what about the males cause the vast majorty of males done there bussiness already and moved on.

Levy
01-20-2013, 08:01 PM

I worked in Labrador for the last year and a half and a majority of their angling is done for char (ie. lake trout, brook trout, and arctic char), and salmon. Angling is closed from september 15th until march 1st, there. There are a lot of good points being made here.

I also think there should be some work to be done to make sure the lake doesn't get over populated and produce stunted fish. I don't really thing thats an issue at Cold lake. I am yet to see a skinny laker come form that lake. I don't think there is anything wrong with a slot size and tags for those guys who might want to get a trophy fish for their wall.

I also find it interesting how the alberta record lake trout from Cold Lake was caught during a time the lake trout population was considered in decline. Perhaps a smaller laker population would produce larger lakers with more available food.

Have caught them with spawn in the bellie in mid march, Problem is what about the males cause the vast majorty of males done there bussiness already and moved on.

I may be wrong but I have heard that lakers don't spawn every year and some years trout will reabsorb eggs they have produced and not spawned. What size were the eggs? I have seen small eggs in lakers in the spring, in remote sask lakes. I am talking open water fishing though.

EZM
01-20-2013, 08:08 PM
I may be wrong but I have heard that lakers don't spawn every year and some years trout will reabsorb eggs they have produced and not spawned. What size were the eggs? I have seen small eggs in lakers in the spring, in remote sask lakes. I am talking open water fishing though.

I was under the same impression actually.

After I asked my question and did some research and it seems lakers, and other char, "typically" spawn in late fall.

Any Laker you find with eggs now may not spawn.

It certainly supports the thought that these fish are vulnerable to over harvest as their reproductive cycles and rates are comparably low to other species.

208prov
01-20-2013, 08:08 PM
I have seen the same thing as your spawn from the previous year in them, But the spawn was large and oozing out in mid march

bobalong
01-20-2013, 08:17 PM
IMO they should and will implement a tag system on this lake. It would appear that you now have a self sustaining population in the lake with numerous year classes. As much as I do not really like the tag system, in our province it is probably the best management tool that SRD has for controlling harvest limits.

Although closing the lake in the winter would help the lake trout population, there are so many anglers going there now, that I think you would have some resistance, from both the local and other anglers in the province. Possibly opening it up for just a month or 6 weeks in the winter would be a better option.

I realize that there would be a cost involved and I am not sure how resilient lake trout are, but possibly transferring some of the 7-15 lake trout to another lake like Touchwood, would help move some of the pressure off Cold Lake and would populate Touchwood with spawning trout. I know Touchwood was stocked in the lake eighties with juvenile fish and it was not succesful, but I think stocking with 7-15 lb fish would eliminate a lot of the predation. Fish this size are much more robust and can endure the change, which may result in another good Lake Trout fishery in our province.

Penner
01-21-2013, 12:49 PM
I don’t believe there is a single magic bullet. Needs to be tackled from all angles. So IMHO with ratio of anglers to fish bearing waters in Alberta’s they only effective way I see to scientifically manage Alberta’s fisheries is via province wide draw system, implementing an active stocking program, increased stewardship for conservation, and rigorous enforcement. Should be funded by minuscule Environmental Sustainability Tax that could be imposed against heavy industry (oil, gas, rail, mining, forestry, etc.). Could be used not only for fisheries but also for wildlife, forestry, water, and land enhancement, reclamation, and preservation. Would be a drop in a barrel and good PR for heavy industry.

As for Cold Lake, I would suspect draws likely couldn't happen being that half of the Lake is in Saskatchewan. I’d think a slot limit would be a viable option with a complete angling closure from Sept to Dec each year. Something will need to be done soon as Cold Lake is getting pounded 365 days a year.

bingo1010
01-21-2013, 03:29 PM
365 days??

Walleyes
01-21-2013, 03:47 PM
I don’t believe there is a single magic bullet. Needs to be tackled from all angles. So IMHO with ratio of anglers to fish bearing waters in Alberta’s they only effective way I see to scientifically manage Alberta’s fisheries is via province wide draw system, implementing an active stocking program, increased stewardship for conservation, and rigorous enforcement. Should be funded by minuscule Environmental Sustainability Tax that could be imposed against heavy industry (oil, gas, rail, mining, forestry, etc.). Could be used not only for fisheries but also for wildlife, forestry, water, and land enhancement, reclamation, and preservation. Would be a drop in a barrel and good PR for heavy industry.

As for Cold Lake, I would suspect draws likely couldn't happen being that half of the Lake is in Saskatchewan. I’d think a slot limit would be a viable option with a complete angling closure from Sept to Dec each year. Something will need to be done soon as Cold Lake is getting pounded 365 days a year.

I like the idea of a small enviromental tax on industry in this province. Like you say a small price to pay for what is happening around us. No matter how hard industry tries they can't help but impose on nature to me it would only make sense that they put back into it a certain amount. My concern would be as long as our government puts that money back into our fisheries. Unforetunetly it would most likely be absorbed into our allready useless system. I am sure as soon as there was extra cash kicking around the Provincial unions would be buckin for their share and the moneys would be lossed. If it was mandated this money would be put directly back into fisheries it would be awesome. But our province has showed continualy it is not interested in putting money into fisheries, their concept of fish management is strictly non retention, no input back into it just take until its collapsed then shut it down. Its a much easier system to control and results in greater funds for the SRD through fines and in turn that money goes into the pockets of the employies and burocrats.. Sad and useless system..

Penner
01-23-2013, 12:37 PM
No matter how hard industry tries they can't help but impose on nature to me it would only make sense that they put back into it a certain amount. My concern would be as long as our government puts that money back into our fisheries. Unforetunetly it would most likely be absorbed into our allready useless system. I am sure as soon as there was extra cash kicking around the Provincial unions would be buckin for their share and the moneys would be lossed. If it was mandated this money would be put directly back into fisheries it would be awesome.

Unfortunately you are likely right about that. It would have to be dedicated to the purpose its intended for. Highly unlikely one could trust a politician with anything. Perhaps another non-governmental group administers it.

365 days??

365 days as in that is how many days there are in a calendar year. Cold Lake is being fished either by angling or by netting every day less the few weeks the lake is either breaking up or freezing over I suppose if one wanted to get technical about it.

bingo1010
01-23-2013, 03:04 PM
So if one wanted to get technical about it i guess you could apply that more broadly and say most lakes in Alberta are getting pounded 365 days a year, except for when they are breaking up and freezing up. and thanks for pointing out that there are that many days in a year ..... Never could figure that out!!!!

falco
01-23-2013, 03:06 PM
I was at the public consultation meeting in November(?) in Cold Lake with the local SRD fisheries staff and they were recommending going to a 75cm. limit next year. Sask. will be doing the same. It was felt that a female could spawn at least twice before being harvested.

bingo1010
01-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the update, i know that is the talk on the lake but wasnt sure where it was coming from.

Walleyes
01-23-2013, 03:30 PM
I was at the public consultation meeting in November(?) in Cold Lake with the local SRD fisheries staff and they were recommending going to a 75cm. limit next year. Sask. will be doing the same. It was felt that a female could spawn at least twice before being harvested.

Thats fine we protect a few spawning fish,, but what about the trophy class fish,, they are caught before they hit their real potentual.

Lakers
01-23-2013, 03:35 PM
There will be no more trophies

Walleyes
01-23-2013, 03:40 PM
What anyone see's in eating a Lake Trout I can't figure out. I would rather eat a Jack,, and that happens about once every 10 years.. God only made Jackfish for people who can't catch real fish..

Lake trout are about the BIG one,, catch it, quick pic toss her back.. There is more money to be made off of people chasing trophy class fish than there is off of farmer Joe out to fill his smoker..

crf250xtom
01-23-2013, 04:59 PM
If you don't keep a big one someone else will so mine as well get a nice mount made. :sHa_shakeshout:

Penner
01-24-2013, 06:01 PM
I agree Lakers even from a nice clean and cool water body just like Cold Lake are NOT great table fare. Far better eating fish out there.

I heard the 75cm rumour as well. I think a slot limit would be much more effective as at least a few would sneak past and hopefully make it up to a trophy size. Been fishing cold lake for many years and managed to catch two over 30lbs so that lake has the potential to be a trophy fishery.

Kim473
01-26-2013, 05:56 AM
I do my part. Never been or fished Lake trout. Don't plan on it either.

Penner
01-26-2013, 07:53 AM
So if one wanted to get technical about it i guess you could apply that more broadly and say most lakes in Alberta are getting pounded 365 days a year, except for when they are breaking up and freezing up. and thanks for pointing out that there are that many days in a year ..... Never could figure that out!!!!

Thanks Dad. Never could have done it without you.

Wild&Free
01-26-2013, 09:39 AM
What anyone see's in eating a Lake Trout I can't figure out. I would rather eat a Jack,, and that happens about once every 10 years.. God only made Jackfish for people who can't catch real fish..

Lake trout are about the BIG one,, catch it, quick pic toss her back.. There is more money to be made off of people chasing trophy class fish than there is off of farmer Joe out to fill his smoker..

You said it. Lakers have always been a bye catch for me when trolling 'deep' (20-40fow) for Rainbows. They all go back to the water as soon as I get the hook out.

Mutter87
01-26-2013, 09:53 AM
If you don't keep a big one someone else will so mine as well get a nice mount made. :sHa_shakeshout:

The nicest mounts you can get made are graphite replicas.

Take pictures, Take measurements, Throw fish back, Get mount made.

Wild&Free
01-26-2013, 10:27 AM
The nicest mounts you can get made are graphite replicas.

Take pictures, Take measurements, Throw fish back, Get mount made.

Hell, you don't even have to catch it to have a replica made. Just find a picture with measurements and send it to the taxidermist.

BuckHunterBowen
01-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Doesn't this lake close for laker fishig mid september and open back up in November or December?

Walleyes
01-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Well kind of,, it closes for retention not fishing.

Cold Lake
May 15 to Mar. 31 – Lake Trout limit 0 from Sept. 15 to Nov. 15, and 1 over 65 cm from May 15 to Sept. 14 and from Nov. 16 to Mar. 31; Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 1 over 63 cm; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10.
Apr. 1 to May 14 – CLOSED

Penner
01-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Well kind of,, it closes for retention not fishing.

Cold Lake
May 15 to Mar. 31 – Lake Trout limit 0 from Sept. 15 to Nov. 15, and 1 over 65 cm from May 15 to Sept. 14 and from Nov. 16 to Mar. 31; Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 1 over 63 cm; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10.
Apr. 1 to May 14 – CLOSED

For most folks whom have to follow the regulations Walleyes is dead on. The natives however can fish the lake and keep what ever the want all year round. And it happens.