PDA

View Full Version : Freezing whole trout?

fourty12
01-18-2013, 11:38 PM
I was in a rush the other day and didn't have time to clean my rainbow trout when I got home. I put them in the freezer with the intention of thawing, filleting and cooking them later. Now I'm wondering if there is any harm or concern with doing this? I know it's not ideal and that it is better and easier to clean them right away but since I've already frozen them whole, should I still eat them?

Thanks.

AppleJax
01-18-2013, 11:48 PM
I did this recently, and they were fine when thawed. They will still be good for tablefare.

Zip-in-Z
01-19-2013, 12:08 AM
If you don't, bet the cat wouldn't pass up the opportunity ..... that's what the weekends for ... cleaning !

Zip ....

tommyguitar
01-19-2013, 12:46 AM
It ain't kosher but it'll probably do just fine.

New Hunter Okotoks
01-19-2013, 12:55 AM
No problem. Just put them in a large bowl or Pyrex dish of cold water and put them in the fridge for an hour or so.

icehunter
01-19-2013, 06:24 AM
Wrap them in saran wrap b4 freezing whole and let them thaw slowly or the meat could turn kinda mushy on you. I have frozen lots of fish whole and never had a problem with any unless thawing them in a sink of warm water.:snapoutofit:

TROLLER
01-19-2013, 10:38 AM
I don't know about most guys but I always gut em before I leave.

Ice or soft water I just cleam em put the guts back in the water which you are allowed to do then I don't have to worry about having to deal with em if I get home too late.

Just a quick rinse and into a freezer bag.

fourty12
01-19-2013, 07:54 PM
I ended up thawing them today in cold water, filleting them and they were delicious. In case anyone was curious. Not that I'll make it a habit but at least I know it can be done without the fish tasting bad. Thanks for all of your input.

icehunter
01-20-2013, 06:15 AM
I ended up thawing them today in cold water, filleting them and they were delicious. In case anyone was curious. Not that I'll make it a habit but at least I know it can be done without the fish tasting bad. Thanks for all of your input.

An you didnt invite us all over for a taste sampler...:angry3: