PDA

View Full Version : Burbot Fishing

Double-Eh
01-19-2013, 01:33 AM
I'm looking to get into it, but I cannot find any good ideas on where, how and what.

I've heard this time of year is key, but what do you use for lure, etc?

Any decent lakes in the Edmonton area? Perhaps out along highway 28 toward Bonnyville?

Maybe I'd be lucky enough to catch perch in the same area? (different method obviously)

TYEE
01-19-2013, 06:30 AM
Best burbot fishing i have experienced was at lesser slave. Not a short drive, but worth the trip if they are biting. Canyon creek is a good bet, approx 20 min west of town. Not sure what access is like at slave this year. Have to be careful, winds on that lake can make it impossible to drive on unless some of the locals have cleared a path. Simple jig head with minnows will do the trick. When the bite is on, you can catch them all day and night. Good Luck!

Trapperchris
01-19-2013, 08:09 AM
I went to lac la none last year with my dad and uncles and we got 40 burbot in a hour. It was crazy. All we used was a big spoon hook with a smelt. Just have your hook only a inch or so of the bottom of the lake.
Good luck

Double-Eh
01-20-2013, 12:41 AM
So is the objective to get a smelly bait??

I'm going with a friend to Mons Lake... Never heard anything about the Burboit out there.... Only Perch... So I'd like to try my luck by spending a little time trying exclusively for Burbot, so I want to make my efforts the best I can, hence why I ask what may or may not be silly questions.

Trapperchris
01-20-2013, 07:15 AM
It also works good if you bounce your hook off the bottom of the lake and then hold it still. It seems like the burbot are attracted to the sand and mud that get stirred up.

davebuck
01-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Anybody fishing for burbs around the Hat area .just want to know if anyone goes around this area .i might go out to rattle snake tomorrow evening just to try .