PDA

View Full Version : Fox Creek area, (smoke Lake, Isogun and crooked lake)

calrac
01-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Thinking of going to Fox Creek, Alberta next weekend.
hoping to fish in
Smoke lake (Whites) :)
Isogun Lake (Whites) :)
Crooked Lake (Perch) :sHa_shakeshout:

Anyone been out there, hoping to go 1 day at each lake. been probably 13 yrs since I was there. any ice and fishing reports to add or road report to crooked lake, my dad heard from a guy in can tire that he could only get in with a side by side first week of January.

going with 1/2 ton 4x4, not sure what the ice is like so bring my quad also.

:thinking-006:

BuckHunterBowen
01-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Iosegun is a great walleye lake in the winter. Tough to get a keeper thou

calrac
01-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Iosegun is a great walleye lake in the winter. Tough to get a keeper thou

I have never fished Iosegun so thx for the info.

calrac
01-19-2013, 01:17 PM
just to add where is good place to stay in fox creek, hotels, motels.

troutmountain
01-19-2013, 02:47 PM
try the alaskan motel

Fer-Tak-Er
01-19-2013, 03:08 PM
We have fished crooked in the spring(opening week or so). Have tried to locate the perch, but never can. I would sure like to know where they hang out. If you find some, I would sure like a clue or 2 on where you were on the lake. They have a pretty good road that drives right past crooked now, so you shouldn't have any problems getting to the lake.

Elk Hunter17
01-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Phone in advance for hotels, the oilfield has that place booked solid this winter.

bikerman
01-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Phone in advance for hotels, the oilfield has that place booked solid this winter.
Very very busy and tough to get a room. Better in Whitecourt but still busy.

calrac
01-19-2013, 08:07 PM
try the alaskan motel

Ya I stayed at the Alaskan yrs ago, will call ahead for reservation. thx

calrac
01-19-2013, 08:09 PM
We have fished crooked in the spring(opening week or so). Have tried to locate the perch, but never can. I would sure like to know where they hang out. If you find some, I would sure like a clue or 2 on where you were on the lake. They have a pretty good road that drives right past crooked now, so you shouldn't have any problems getting to the lake.

Last time i fished their probably 15 yrs ago was awesome perch fishing in winter. thx for the tips everyone.

If I get in there and try will let you all know how we made out.

Big Dog Al
01-19-2013, 08:47 PM
Crooked lake winter killed a while back so check with F&W before you head out.

deanmc
01-20-2013, 01:39 AM
Do you realize Smoke and Iosegun are tags only for Walleye now?

Drewski Canuck
01-20-2013, 09:43 AM
What about Raspberry and Meekwap?

Drewski

calrac
01-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Do you realize Smoke and Iosegun are tags only for Walleye now?

yes thx, mostly looking for whites in those lakes.

fogducker
01-20-2013, 04:50 PM
was out at iosegun lake two weeks ago only got a few jacks but still had fun.
jerry lake is a good one to try for perch but havent fished it in years.smoke lake is a good lake for just about any thing the problem with most of the lakes around here is over fishing.not that you cant have some good days but they are few and far between.you could try meekwap lake it is a little more remote so the fishing is better but watch for flood water it famous for it.as for rooms here check out the town web site there are lots of motels good chance you will find a room,just dont stay at the grizz its good for drinking not for sleeping.

Red Bullets
01-20-2013, 10:34 PM
I would make sure you use minimum 10 inch holes for whitefish at Smoke lake. I went there 2 years ago and fished in shallow water (2 to 3 feet under ice) accessed from the south side of the lake from a pumpjack lease. I didn't see much but when a whitefish would come through they were big. I caught the 3 fish I saw, with the smallest being 6lb.9oz., and the biggest being 8lb.3oz..
I wouldn't have gotten them out of an 8 inch hole. When they hit, they hit fast. I would suggest 10 lb. line.

calrac
01-22-2013, 07:56 PM
So looks like most of the rooms are booked. tried Alaskan, Devoinian, Western, Foxwood. no rooms.

found a room at Fox Creek Inn, hope this is a safe place. I am not to fussy just want a clean room. thx all for your help this forum is great.

Whiteysonly
01-23-2013, 10:08 AM
So looks like most of the rooms are booked. tried Alaskan, Devoinian, Western, Foxwood. no rooms.

found a room at Fox Creek Inn, hope this is a safe place. I am not to fussy just want a clean room. thx all for your help this forum is great.

I suggest the grizzly lol

Walleye101
01-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Rent an outfitters tent and camp out. or take a trailer if you got one. We sometimes set up cot's and sleep in an Eskimo pop out with a good sleeping bag.

Smokinyotes
01-23-2013, 05:11 PM
I also heard crooked winter killed. Some guys i know tried it in October and just caught small jack no perch.

igor
01-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Yes crooked lake winter killed last year, we were there 2 times with no perch on
site.

Buck Rogers
01-23-2013, 09:07 PM
Crooked lake is alive and well, fished their over Christmas 9" to 12" perch, no jumbos and even the 12" perch was not fat. Lots of snow, lots of flood water, would not attempt to access with a truck or quad only on a skidoo. The fish are there you just need to put in a little effort and punch holes until you find them.

Speckle55
01-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Crooked lake is alive and well, fished their over Christmas 9" to 12" perch, no jumbos and even the 12" perch was not fat. Lots of snow, lots of flood water, would not attempt to access with a truck or quad only on a skidoo. The fish are there you just need to put in a little effort and punch holes until you find them.

:sign0087:

good for your info :reading:

Complete Angler:character0053:

Thanks for sharing

David:)

calrac
01-23-2013, 11:32 PM

My dad ran into a guy at Canadian tire a couple of weeks ago and he went in with a side by side, we are planning a couple of quads. he said he caught some decent perch.

calrac
01-25-2013, 08:54 PM
well made it up to fox creek, got away late so only fished for 2 - 3 hrs at smoke lake, was able to drive into campground but road was never plowed yet this winter, was a little worried of driving out was pulling a small trailer with 2 quads with 4 x 4 truck. unloaded quads to go on lake and there was next 2 no snow on the lake, only tried a few holes and ice where we were was 12 inches and single layer is no flooding. had something big broke my line but that was it. we lucked out while we were fishing a grader went down the campground road so getting out was great, the lord or someone was looking out for us. well up early Saturday morning to make the trip to crooked lake, weather is awesome was above zero C today and is around - 1 C this evening. :sHa_shakeshout:

DuckBrat
01-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Please be ultra careful driving on Smoke as Ice thickness varies greatly around the lake. Be Safe!

calrac
01-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Please be ultra careful driving on Smoke as Ice thickness varies greatly around the lake. Be Safe!

ya if we go back will only go on with a quad, thx DuckBrat.

fogducker
01-27-2013, 09:14 AM
how did you make out in fox this weekend hope you had fun,could not get any better weather for fishing.

Hard Water
01-27-2013, 10:23 PM
how did ya make out at crooked ?

calrac
02-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Well i did not post for awhile as i had a member message me about how i should not tell everyone how the fishing was at crooked, so that kind of turned me.:mad0030:

As if i would over fish never have and never will.

So I decided i would share some info even though a member did't want me too.

So to start we fished Smoke lake and only caught a couple of jacks, had some hits but only 2 jacks. ice was not very thick about 9 inches, didn't drive with truck took quads.

crooked lake was ok, was quiet most of the day then at 3 - 4 pm getting lots of hits, we got 4 jumbo perch and 2 jacks all keepers. had to quad onto lake. ice was only about 9 inches, was a beautiful day, weather was awesome. hope to go up again at end of month or in march.
this forum is great will post when i can.
:)

fogducker
02-03-2013, 09:11 AM
thanks for posting its no big secret about these lakes been fishing them since i was a kid.some days are fair than you get that day you cant keep them off i think you find this in all lakes.glad you had fun might see you on the lake next time your up.