PDA

View Full Version : Blood on pike?

Grand Slam
01-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Caught a few jacks yesterday and half of them had blood on the outside of their skin. I could rub it off, but it is just coming out of their sides. I have never seen this before so any info on this would be great. Also I never kept any of them put them back,it was not sores that were bleeding either.

GregT
01-20-2013, 07:52 AM
could be larger pike hunting the smaller guys

AdverseCity
01-20-2013, 09:35 AM
If the fish still has some energy when you get it to the hole they can scrape themselves on the bottom of the ice, that edge can be pretty sharp. Make sure you fight them long enough so they're tired and not head-shaking at the hole. Maybe not the issue but a good idea anyway.

AdverseCity
01-20-2013, 09:37 AM
... double post

CamoDerrick
01-20-2013, 09:39 AM
If the fish still has some energy when you get it to the hole they can scrape themselves on the bottom of the ice, that edge can be pretty sharp. Make sure you fight them long enough so they're tired and not head-shaking at the hole.

Sounds like cuts from the ice to me as well. Could also be from the contact with the top of the ice when attempting to remove the hook as well.
Hopefully they weren't bleeding to badly

Grand Slam
01-20-2013, 09:52 AM
I will try to post some pics from my I phone but the fish i took a pic of is in bad shape. It had a ulcer on its back and it was bleeding and blood on his sides. Not from the ice and scraping himself. Like I say I have caught hundreds of pike through the ice and water and never have seen anything like this. Yes I have seen lots of sores on pike but not like this.

Grand Slam
01-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Having problems uploading more pics but you can get an idea what this problem looks like. The little bit of blood on his side is not from the sored area. its coming out of his skin in multiple areas. Even on his belly area. The other fish never had sores but were just bleeding from their sides.

sheepstalker
01-20-2013, 11:49 AM
looks like there is a bigger one swimming around