PDA

View Full Version : Truck through ice on sylvan

Rob S
01-20-2013, 09:56 AM
This truck went through the ice in Sylvan Lake last night. The ice isnt safe, there's no fish left, common sense says stay away from Sylvan Lake for the rest of the winter! I hear the bite is really on on Gull though :-)

01-20-2013, 09:59 AM
wow would that ever be scarey , wanna see a grown man *@#$ himself ,i never drive on the ice anywhere it always freaks me out some .

Paul C
01-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Look how close this truck is to shore.

ericlin0122
01-20-2013, 10:14 AM
scary. couple weeks ago, everyone was driving on the lake.

Rob S
01-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Heck I was planning on going out today! Ive decided to stay off the ice instead
:-)

Nikanit
01-20-2013, 10:19 AM
whereabouts did that happen?? Would like to know as we go there all the time

GregT
01-20-2013, 10:35 AM
driving on the ice is scary business. we were up in the boyle area yesterday and hit up two lakes, neither had quality ice. even though both had truck tracks on them. be safe folks!

Lefty-Canuck
01-20-2013, 10:39 AM
Went to Buck yesterday and in spots the ice was not as deep as my hole scoop...it isn't the thickest in spots folks....be careful, we used the quad not the truck and quite a few other either walked, quadded, or slender on....

LC

Rob S
01-20-2013, 10:44 AM
This was by Marina Bay...I havent gone down to see for myself

Sponge Bob Fish Pants
01-20-2013, 11:10 AM
a guy at work i know his fatherinlaw went through at snipe lake and the initial quote to get it out was 40 grand its out now but
the company had to basically build a mat road out to it and saw it out ! 50,000 truck (right off)40,000 bill and i don't even know what the environmental price tag was i think i'll walk my ass out lol

kinwahkly
01-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Was out on friday and the re was 19 inches of ice on the west side?

silverdoctor
01-20-2013, 11:33 AM
That's crazy.

Couple of guys driving one tons stopped to talk to us on Nakamun yesterday, wanted to check the holes I just drilled so they know how much ice they are dealing with for driving on. Nice to see some playing it safe. Watched one guy drive 500 feet, drill a hole then move out further then repeat.

Others however drove like maniacs, much too fast.

harrydude
01-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Call the guys at brooks towing I am sure they would be far cheaper than that and they I'll travel and get the job done

They are the only ones to call

fish gunner
01-20-2013, 12:21 PM
I hit sylvan on sat 20" of good ice in all the holes I punched. Got to be 20 trucks out from the marina all day . Can any one confirm truck breaking thru???.

fishtank
01-20-2013, 01:09 PM
That's crazy.

Couple of guys driving one tons stopped to talk to us on Nakamun yesterday, wanted to check the holes I just drilled so they know how much ice they are dealing with for driving on. Nice to see some playing it safe. Watched one guy drive 500 feet, drill a hole then move out further then repeat.

Others however drove like maniacs, much too fast.

there are air pockets and soft spots...:scared0018:

EZM
01-20-2013, 01:17 PM
This time of year it's not the ice thickness - it's what happens after the cracks begin with the wind picking up or jerks driving too fast and creating a wave as they blast down the ice like the duke boys.

Variable Temps, fresh snow to camouflage the cracks and heaves don't help either.

It seems you get a rash of break throughs early season, most Darwin award show contestants, and then again in late January every year ...........

fish gunner
01-20-2013, 01:29 PM
This truck went through the ice in Sylvan Lake last night. The ice isnt safe, there's no fish left, common sense says stay away from Sylvan Lake for the rest of the winter! I hear the bite is really on on Gull though :-)

Got to question your claim as sylvan was in near whiteout conditions after 5pm till at least 8pm . The pic posted has no fresh snow and you can see the lights across the lake this pic was not taken jan19 2013.

Sloughsharkjigger
01-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Got to question your claim as sylvan was in near whiteout conditions after 5pm till at least 8pm . The pic posted has no fresh snow and you can see the lights across the lake this pic was not taken jan19 2013.

I would have to agree with Gunner on this one. I'm sure with the amount of people on Sylvan there would be more pics or first hand reports surfacing by now. Still it is a good reminder to practice ice safety at all times.

Rob S
01-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Welllll, I didnt see it for myself yet either soooo. This is what Im going off of: Town of Sylvan Lake fb page...

338Bluff
01-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Looked at their facebook page...didn't see it. Must be buried in there somewhere.

Never the less 2:00 AM? Not likely fisherman. More likely drunken idjits.

Drunken idjits+Driving Fast+ Close to shore = Truck In Lake at any time of year!

The fishing at Sylvan has been pretty fair for whitfish. Stick to travelled trails, drive slow and you won't have any problems.

Lots of people try to hug shore when they drive on ice, assuming it must be stronger. The fact is it is not. Stay out from shore and when passing a point slow down and err on being a little further out. The ice is likely thinner on the bar or shoal extending from the point. Narrows are also good places to avoid.

Tight Lines

tacklerunner
01-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Well it's there. Here's the link.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/SylvanLakeNews?fref=ts

338Bluff
01-20-2013, 03:02 PM
So it is. OP said it was on the Town's FB page. That is the Newspaper.

At any rate drive slow and stick to the trails and you are likely safe. I have fished Gull and Sylvan for 30 years and never had a problem.

Drove on the North end 3 weeks ago. Ice isn't getting thinner even with the warm spell.

Fishing for whites has been very good. Walleye early in the morning are also a good bet in certain parts of the lake.

bwackwabbit
01-20-2013, 03:35 PM
There are Bubblers in that marina along with a spring, so at best it's sketchy ice all season.

Just down the shoreline in Norglenwold I consistently drill 20"+ and I move ALOT. Gotta know the lake to stay safe.

Glad they are all ok.

Cheers.

fish_fan
01-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Truck is in the super narrow marina channel. Was a lot of people drilling holes there earlier that day. Even another truck sitting dead center. I suspect someone drilled a bunch or maybe a large hole. Wind came up blowing snow. This truck drove right on top of it. Other than that there is good water inflow from the town streets. Possibly undercut it. But since a large diesel was parked there all day. I suspect a combination of both. Last year a quad went through there If the town is smart enough to put a sign to remove shacks and to create a registration for shacks. They can be smart enough to put a sign in known dangerous areas. I blame the town. People see all kinds of vehicles and they ask and hear 20"of ice. Then they drive everywhere thinking its okay.

Zip-in-Z
01-20-2013, 09:42 PM
if your dumb enough to do Dr**gs & Bo**ze & play with the Dark Angle at Marina Bay the say your prayers!

Zip ....

archercurt
01-21-2013, 09:25 AM
It's pretty simple, if you don't know the lake don't drive on it. It's like it's a surprise to people when a truck goes thru near marina bay. It happens evry year, last year a side by side in the same spot and a small car at the inlet to the marina. And don't kid yourself the ice is plenty thick to drive on, just not in te select few spots that always produce thin ice and if you don't know where they are stay on shore. if your ****ed at 2 am and go thru the ice playing NASCAR racer....well a can't say as I feel bad for you. Hard to think it would be a ma n pap on there way home from coffee at 2 am. Just sayin