PDA

View Full Version : Are all perch female?

the pilot cock
01-20-2013, 10:38 PM
I spent the day perch fishing with a buddy and took home some dinner. I'm fairly new to perch fishing and as I was cleaning them I noticed that every single one of them was female identified of course by the sack of eggs inside. What's the story on that? Are the males just usually a whole lot smaller and so tend to get C+R'd or have perch become the first official species to figure out how to multiply without the aide of a male? If they are, we need to make sure that human females never ever figure out their secret on how they do it...:thinking-006:

brobinson
01-20-2013, 10:43 PM
I've found this as well. However out of the ones I've taken home this year. Maybe 3 or 4 have not had eggs. And instead had a white tube in that same area. So I'm assuming those ones were male. But I'd agree, way more nice perch have been female.

Zanzibar
01-20-2013, 11:18 PM
The males are usually smaller, but have more meat for their size. Take pictures and put the fatties back, it's better in the long run.

Speckle55
01-20-2013, 11:24 PM
wait till the end of April in some lakes that are open and the males will sperm on you and the females will egg you.. most i have seen are in the 9inch to 11inch range that will put out a white sperm when you handle them

just saying

Food for Thought

David:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_perch

BeeGuy
01-20-2013, 11:33 PM
The females are bigger on average.

BTW there are already fish known to reproduce without males.

These include a few species of fish available at the pet shop, as well as at least one shark which is capable of 'virgin birth'.

EZM
01-21-2013, 01:58 PM
The females are bigger on average.

BTW there are already fish known to reproduce without males.

These include a few species of fish available at the pet shop, as well as at least one shark which is capable of 'virgin birth'.

Imaculate conception .......... the Thai fish gods had it right ........

Redfrog
01-21-2013, 03:34 PM
I never hear of perch being caught in any rivers in Alberta. Wassup wit dat?

In Ontario spring meant the 'perch run' in the river, when they were getting ready to spawn.