PDA

View Full Version : Maligne Report - June 12

Big Bull
06-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Got up to Maligne Lake yesterday for the first time this year. We managed to catch 6 brookies and 4 rainbows in four hours, so we were pretty happy with that! It was my job interview for a job as fishing guide; so I got the job!:)
Picked up some fish in home bay, and caught the rest up by Trapper Creek picnic site. Snapfisher - thanks for the Wooley Bugger tip - I used a red version of a Wooley Bugger crossed with a Marabu Leech. I'll be tying up a batch of those today! I only used the one fly, but Trevor was switching it up, and anything with red in it was working.
Sorry Homesteader, I couldn't get the thumbnails to work for these photos.
Me with a nice rainbow.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o145/BigBullAdventures/IMG_8307_1.jpg
Trevor with a brookie for dinner.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o145/BigBullAdventures/IMG_8295_1.jpg

goldscud
06-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Nice fish. Can you cast from an anchored boat, or is it all about trolling on this lake?

SNAPFisher
06-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Congrats Big Bull! Both on the great day of fishing and the new guiding job. I'll keep an eye out for you. I should be up there again in July and then again in the fall.

I've heard about the color red and that lake....you know....I've never tried it. Me thinks I'll be adding that to the arsenal for the next trip.

Cheers!

P.S. Nice couple of pics!

Big Bull
06-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Goldscud - if you are into chironomid fishing from an anchored boat, it is probably the most productive method of fishing on Maligne Lake.

SNAPfisher - shout me a PM the next time you're heading up. Do you live in Hinton?

drake
06-13-2008, 01:34 PM
great post! congrats on your sucesses. I am headed up to maligne next weekend. I phoned and rented a boat this morning actually. Looking forward to a nice day on the water with my girl friend. I convinced her to come fishing with me, by promising to stop and have a picnic.......

smurph
06-13-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm planning a canoe trip up there and I heard there was amazing fishing too. 1 night at Fisherman's Bay and then another or two at Cornett Creek. Should be a good place for my first real fly-fishing experience. I believe the largest Rainbow trout was caught there - 20lbs 4oz. Not sure if that's still current.

Big Bull
06-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Smurph, you're in for a good trip, but prepare for worst weather conditions and hope for the best. That rainbow was caught in Jasper, just not at Maligne.
However, there was a brook trout caught in Maligne Lake that was just a few ounces short of a world record!

smurph
06-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Smurph, you're in for a good trip, but prepare for worst weather conditions and hope for the best. That rainbow was caught in Jasper, just not at Maligne.
However, there was a brook trout caught in Maligne Lake that was just a few ounces short of a world record!
Hey Big Bull - i've heard about the weather conditions changing rapidly! Luckily we've done lots of back country canoe trips and finally have acquired some nice outfitting for the canoes and such.

As for the record trout... I read it in 'Backroad Mapbook - Central Alberta' and that's where on page 20 they list the record trout coming from Maligne. So i wondered if they made an error, so I checked Wikipedia... and they list the following...
"The lake was credited with discovery by Mary Schaffer[2], a female explorer of the region and local icon, after Samson Beaver, a local native, sketched a rough map for her. The first European to actually see the lake was Henry McLeod in 1875 on a CPR expedition.

The largest rainbow trout in Alberta was caught in this lake (20 lbs, 4 oz.) by means of sportfishing. The record fish was mounted and is currently owned by Currie's Guiding and Tackle, Jasper, Alberta, Canada[3]. The third largest brook trout in the world was also sportfished from this lake as well and is owned by David Robson of Hinton, Alberta, Canada. "

Interesting though to know it was in Maligne or even near Maligne for a record trout - and to know that it still sits in Jasper is even better.

See ya out there...

sunnyvalesmostwanted
06-14-2008, 10:55 AM
good to hear about your luck at maligne......my wife and kids and i are headed up to jasper next weekend an are gonna try our luck at maligne. Im wondering if i should reserve a boat for rental ahead of time?

thanks

sunnyvalesmostwanted
06-14-2008, 10:56 AM
ant what type of boat would you recoomendd ? im gonna have my two kids there (12 and 4) and where should i rent from?

smurph
06-14-2008, 12:58 PM
http://www.malignelake.com/rentals.html (though i'd see if they'd accept the U.S. rates they have listed on their website!!! haha)

I think an aluminum boat would be the best bet as it might be easier to row - unless your 12 year old is experienced at the bow of a canoe :). I'm sure Big Bull can offer some more detailed info. :)

S

sunnyvalesmostwanted
06-14-2008, 01:03 PM
do they rent alum boats with elec motors?

smurph
06-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Looks like the aluminum boat includes a motor and it says additional batteries are available assuming their not fully booked etc.

McLeod
06-16-2008, 07:48 AM
The so called record Rainbow was not from Maligne..no matter what you might hear... So won't bother me when one of those triploids breaks the record.As for the BIG Brookie IT was caught way up the lake near an inlet and probably was the World record but lost some weighted from the time it was caught until it was weighted ..I think David said it wasn't weighted until the next day..

Big Bull
06-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Boats can be rented from Maligne Tours, On-Line Sport and Tackle, and Jasper Source for Sports. Maligne Tours rents row boats for $25/hour or $75/day and they do not rent batteries and motors anymore. I'll get quotes from the other guys today. Renting trolling motors and batteries is a crap shoot: the batteries are usually useless and unreliable. If you do rent a set up, try to get them to throw in an extra battery. If you rent a motor, take the prop off and check for fishing line around the shaft; super common scenario. I have an old motor that I lend out, and I always check the shaft when I get it back. PM me before you head to Jasper, I may be able to help some of you out if I'm not using my gear.

The Brook Trout - Dave caught the fish a long ways down the lake, and it took quite a while to get the fish back to Jasper and have it weighed. During that time, it had lost blood; maybe even enough to cost him the world record. He also told me that his wife lost an even bigger fish!

The Rainbow Trout - My version of the story is that this fish was caught in Jasper, in a lake that was not open for fishing at the time. I believe that Lorne Currie has the fish, and it may even be still on display at Jasper Park Lodge. Lorne did not catch the fish, nor was he present when it was caught.
I've seen both mounts and they are very impressive. I'll see if I can get a pic of the rainbow.

troutpirate
06-16-2008, 10:23 AM
I also have it on good word the AB record rainbow was caught from the first lake in the valley of the five and everyone Ive talked to who averages 10-25 days on maligne a year, like myself, agrees this is true

sunnyvalesmostwanted
06-16-2008, 11:45 AM
thanks Big Bull!

dont worry about the gear......we already have spinning rods/reels and a net and stuff .....i just need to pick up some lures that i prob should keep around anyways for future trips to the area as i think we will prob try to make an annual trip from now on to either jasper or kananaskis areas from now on. thats a good idea about the extra batteries....ive heard that sometimes you will need them. I dont plan on going waaaaaaaaay down the lake either, id just like to hit a decent fishing spot somewhere thats not a far distance from the place to rent boats. I dont need the elusive spot to catch those big fish, just a spot that will keep the kiddies happy with a few fish. Thanks again!

wow, i must say you are all very helpful with the tips and as a newb i really appreciate it!!!! GREAT SITE WITH GREAT POSTERS!!! :D :wave:

Mountain Guy
06-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Hey Big Bull.....
Congrats on the getting the job !!
Everybody now beware that any fly recommendations from him will be more than likely ''big bull'' :lol: :lol:
Unless of course , if you can catch him at Happy Hour at the local watering hole , maybe a couple beer will get results !!

Maybe see ya up there Gord , as were up for the annual tomorrow till sunday.
Stop in at Fisherman's fer a cool one...