PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishng rigs for pike.

jts1
01-21-2013, 03:06 PM
What are you guys using out on the ice for pike?

In regards to the link below I make my own. But I will make one side a little longer so the bait is nose down a little and seems to be feeding off the bottom. This is more times then not on my tip up.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/ICE-FISHING-BLEEDING-QUICK-STRIKE-SMELT-RIG-3-Pack-NORTHERN-PIKE-TIP-UP-LEADER-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqJHJDgE7zIJHRzQBO9UGisMT!~~60_35.JPG

As for in the shack I will just pop the head off my smelt and feed a jig through. If I am dead sticking just a quick strike rig. I always use a large slip bobber in my shack for pike. That way I just set the depth I want and leave my spool open. Do any of you guys get fancy with your presentations? Not asking for secretes just what ever you want to share.

BuckHunterBowen
01-21-2013, 03:11 PM
We use a willow branch and black tape with 20lb mono. For hooks a treble and snell hook kinda rigged up so the smelt hangs aligned with bottom. Works great for walleye too

Rabdo
01-21-2013, 03:19 PM
for my tip up, i use the same set up as the picture you posted jts1. I also like using 1 treble hook and sticking it straight up through a belly of a smelt then attaching it to a leader. the treble is basically hidden inside of the smelt.

i present the smelt anywhere from on bottom to 8" off bottom. sitting horizontally

jts1
01-21-2013, 03:20 PM
for my tip up, i use the same set up as the picture you posted jts1. I also like using 1 treble hook and sticking it straight up through a belly of a smelt then attaching it to a leader. the treble is basically hidden inside of the smelt.

Yes I have done that as well when they seemto be picky . But found if I dont let them eat it good I missed hook ups.

kevinhits
01-21-2013, 03:26 PM
I put a treble through the head and one through the tail. I had issues in the past where they sometimes will only take a bite from either the head or the tail. Now I have it all covered...HAHA

jts1
01-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Two circle hooks in opposite directions on the head and tail I have seen as well

bubba 96
01-21-2013, 03:41 PM
quick strike rigs that fishin ab makes for us..same as stor bought ones, i use those or the gorge hooks...

Hunter Trav
01-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Quick strikes made from 100lb Floro, always crimped, could never get a good enough knot with that heavy of line. Never had one cut yet. I also use it in the summer, just make sure you use quality swivels and clips...

Cal
01-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Yes I have done that as well when they seemto be picky . But found if I dont let them eat it good I missed hook ups.

Use a small stinger as well as a treble through the body. Best version of a quick strike rig IMO. I used to use rigs like you have pictured but I think its benificial having the stinger wire running along the body rather than the bait dangling below like you have pictured. Better hookup percentage and less likelyhood of the hooks tearing out of the bait while the fish runs. The treble pushed through the body does a better job of keeping your bait from getting stolen.

jts1
01-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Can I get stingers with a higher strength line on it. Al I have ever used is the small ones with the rubber over the loop for Burbs and eyes. Not sure they would hold up to a Pike.

SCHOOCH
01-21-2013, 04:04 PM
I always make my own leaders with 80 lb wire and 2 trebles and a swivel, i only crimp 1 treble and leave the 2nd floating so i can adjust for whatever bait size and i always put the treble behind the dorsal fin and the 2nd right at the tail. Seems to always work well for us, better luck next time on the hog hookup!!!!!!!!

Cal
01-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Cam=n i get stingers with a higher strength line on it. Al I have ever used is the small ones with the rubber over the loop for Burbs and eyes. Not sure they would hold up to a Pike.

I make the stingers myself using 20 lb single strand leader wire or old guitar strings, attach the stinger to the snap with your treble

DiabeticKripple
01-21-2013, 04:07 PM
i use 17lb flouro for my stingers. should hold up to pike teeth. havent tried it on pike yet though just trout

catchandeat
01-21-2013, 04:23 PM
i've just used 30lb braid connected to a black wire leader, which in turn is connected to two more that have treble hooks attached, and hook up the same way, one in the head and one in the tail, but now i'm thinking it's a bit to much metal for picky fish, I have yet to catch anything on it yet, Although i've only been out a few times. Might just continue trying to use it and see if I have any success, or I might just have to change to something with less metal. haha

retten
01-21-2013, 04:25 PM
What are you guys using out on the ice for pike?

In regards to the link below I make my own. But I will make one side a little longer so the bait is nose down a little and seems to be feeding off the bottom. This is more times then not on my tip up.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/ICE-FISHING-BLEEDING-QUICK-STRIKE-SMELT-RIG-3-Pack-NORTHERN-PIKE-TIP-UP-LEADER-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqJHJDgE7zIJHRzQBO9UGisMT!~~60_35.JPG

As for in the shack I will just pop the head off my smelt and feed a jig through. If I am dead sticking just a quick strike rig. I always use a large slip bobber in my shack for pike. That way I just set the depth I want and leave my spool open. Do any of you guys get fancy with your presentations? Not asking for secretes just what ever you want to share.

I use a 2" buck shot lure with a red treble pinched barbs of coarse, push the smelt or herring on two of the open hooks with one protruding. This allows the fish to take the bait and the lure in its mouth, when I get a hit on my tip up i pull the slack and set the hook, almost always hooking the fish in the side or top of the mouth. VERY IMPORTANT if you are in 10' of water set your bait 4' to 5' off the bottom Pike always look up to hunt at 15' of water i leave my bait 6' to 7' off bottom(unless you want to catch ling then leave it low)

I will assure you bringing the bait higher makes it more visible and your occurence of strikes will greatly increase+

Good luck let me know how it works for you.

calgarygringo
01-21-2013, 06:02 PM
I don't think you saw my setup I use this weekend. Have been using it for a couple years now and seems to work great. catches fish, hook more and never breaks as I make them myself with wire leaders and crimp all the connections myself to be sure of the setup, not just twist as in the picture. Found this on the internet when browsing a few years back and have been using ever since. brings me dinner home all the time. Showed it to Wayne a couple weeks back when we fished together and he has come up with a variance on it. He made his out of flouro and added beads and a spinner at the front end. Concept is to have it so bait acts like an injured fish and always swims facing at a downward angle. If you design it right and hook as shown it does just that. I don't use the float but the rest is pretty much the same. Probably would work good with your float system you were doing. Ask dale next time out and he will tell you I always catch more than him. I tell him my hooks and skill but that is not scientific so who knows.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/calgarygringo/quickstrike.png

WayneChristie
01-21-2013, 06:55 PM
I use a 2" buck shot lure with a red treble pinched barbs of coarse, push the smelt or herring on two of the open hooks with one protruding. This allows the fish to take the bait and the lure in its mouth, when I get a hit on my tip up i pull the slack and set the hook, almost always hooking the fish in the side or top of the mouth. VERY IMPORTANT if you are in 10' of water set your bait 4' to 5' off the bottom Pike always look up to hunt at 15' of water i leave my bait 6' to 7' off bottom(unless you want to catch ling then leave it low)

I will assure you bringing the bait higher makes it more visible and your occurence of strikes will greatly increase+

Good luck let me know how it works for you.

have to disagree with you there, Ive watched dozens if not more pike pick up bait and dead fish off the bottom . I fish my baits a foot or less off the bottom, sometimes right on bottom depending on what they want that day. I also jig them occasionally , bring them up almost to the surface then let them flash around on the way back down to draw in pike from a distance. I find my new rigs work much better than the head and tail method, Ive caught a lot of my fish with the new rig with both hooks in the mouth, not leaving one hook to flop around and get hung up on the edge of the ice and make you wander off sniffling into the sunset :bad_boys_20:

jts1
01-21-2013, 06:57 PM
have to disagree with you there, Ive watched dozens if not more pike pick up bait and dead fish off the bottom . I fish my baits a foot or less off the bottom, sometimes right on bottom depending on what they want that day. I find my new rigs work much better than the head and tail method, Ive caught a lot of my fish with the new rig with both hooks in the mouth, not leaving one to flop around and get hung up on the edge of the ice and make you wander off sniffling into the sunset :bad_boys_20:

I know that was not aimed at my grave misfortune.....:mad3:

drhook
01-21-2013, 07:18 PM
For deadsticking Pike, I love my rig that looks like a Pickerel rig. I attached leaders to the arms that stick out and then use treble hooks through 4-6" minnows at a slight angle to give the appearance of them feeding. I use the flasher to set the bottom one so it's just touching the bottom which leaves the upper one about 8-14" inches off the bottom depending on which leaders I use. Downfall is when you catch a Pike over 10 lbs the Pike rig comes back near unrecognizable as it gets twisted up so badly. At a couple bucks each it's well worth it.

Other hole I jig multiple different lures depending on what they want to hit that day. sometimes tipped with a shiner head or whole shiner if they are only lookers still,

WayneChristie
01-21-2013, 07:29 PM
I know that was not aimed at my grave misfortune.....:mad3:

of course not! well maybe a little bit :sHa_sarcasticlol:

calgarygringo
01-21-2013, 07:29 PM
I am usually only half turn or so off the bottom at most and give it an occasional jig. I think sometimes a little motion wakes them up and raises their curiosity.

jts1
01-21-2013, 07:56 PM
I will keep a rattling rap on a second rod and when it slows down I will give a few mins of heavy jigs and more times then not that will bring a fish back in. Then I drop the bait back down

Jack&7
01-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Jeff...

I have two designs that I have created that work very well with larger baits for pike.

One is a combo treble hook/single that keeps the bait in that down ward position.

The other is one I call the "Big Pig Rig"...I can't describe it...you'll have to see it yourself.

I will give you a set next time we meet up.

As wayne and Gringo have said, I also keep my baits about a foot off the bottom...or sometimes right on the bottom. They will pick it up...

And jigging is king!

retten
01-22-2013, 08:12 AM
have to disagree with you there, Ive watched dozens if not more pike pick up bait and dead fish off the bottom . I fish my baits a foot or less off the bottom, sometimes right on bottom depending on what they want that day. I also jig them occasionally , bring them up almost to the surface then let them flash around on the way back down to draw in pike from a distance. I find my new rigs work much better than the head and tail method, Ive caught a lot of my fish with the new rig with both hooks in the mouth, not leaving one hook to flop around and get hung up on the edge of the ice and make you wander off sniffling into the sunset :bad_boys_20:

If you are raising your gear to attrack them makes sense the higher up the more visaible, I have seen them take off the bottom as well, you are only getting response from the fish which happen by your bait, what I am saying is they see the bait from a greater distance if it is higher up, which because they look up naturally to hunt they see the bait against the ice.

Think for a minute if you punched holes over a 2 1/2 foot deep by 8' round inomally in the bottom of the lake, the only fish you would see or have a chance of catching is the one's who swam into the dip, at 6" to 18" off the bottom nothing would see your offering.

You may agree to disagree but humor me, instead of your usaual bring it up next time and give it a try.

Last saturday I landed 17 pike never lost one, my fishing bud had 2 hits landing one, getting discouraged he listened and raised his bait in the next 45 minutes he had 4 hits landing 3 fish

My catch rate has increased 300 fold since using this method.