PDA

View Full Version : Carp in Alberta?

Tht-_-Fisherman
01-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Just wondering if there is any good carp/sucker spots in and around Calgary? Trying to research if there is, but nit having that much luck

Thanks

Kyle

jaystev
01-21-2013, 05:58 PM
I know nothing of calgary area but the nsr has a variety of different sucker species. Some of them can get quite big too.

WayneChristie
01-21-2013, 06:44 PM
no carp in Alberta except a few stocked grass carp you cant fish for. all the major rivers have suckers, you just need to find an area you are allowed to use worms. I catch a lot of big ones every year, would rather catch a big sucker than a stocker or stream trout anyday! :sHa_shakeshout:

buckmaster
01-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Just wondering if there is any good carp/sucker spots in and around Calgary? Trying to research if there is, but nit having that much luck

Thanks

Kyle

Lots of sterile grass carp in edmonton stormwater lakes. Cant fish them though.

BeeGuy
01-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Yes there are invasive carp in Alberta.

There is a long thread on the board about them.

No catch limit. Have fun.

Don't expect any 40lb'ers though

ak-71
01-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Never "targeted" suckers, but caught some as a byproduct there are good numbers in Chain Lakes (saw only smaller ones, but close to town), and some better size in Red Deer river further east when fishing for goldeye

fourty12
01-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Was with a buddy when he caught one in Chain Lakes a few years ago.

Tinsmith1952
01-22-2013, 09:12 AM
There are a lot of suckers in the Bow esp by Carsland weir(upstream).

WayneChristie
01-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Yes there are invasive carp in Alberta.l

There is a long thread on the board about them.

No catch limit. Have fun.

Don't expect any 40lb'ers though

Driving directions please

dodgeboy1979
01-22-2013, 11:08 AM
i caught a 6lb carp in the NSR north of Lloydminster two summers ago.

retten
01-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Yes there are carp in Alberta, have caught them at the outfall of the old generating station on the NSR.

BeeGuy
01-22-2013, 04:41 PM
i caught a 6lb carp in the NSR north of Lloydminster two summers ago.

Yes there are carp in Alberta, have caught them at the outfall of the old generating station on the NSR.

Do you guys have any pics?

They were probably one of the suckers species.

BuckCuller
01-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Lots of red horse up to 5lb in the red deer river and in the same river about 10 years ago I caught a fish that I had to take to fish and wildlife which they found was a five pound carp sucker and they wanted me to mount it and donate it because it was the furthest east one has been caught.

huntsfurfish
01-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Please report any catches of Carp to SRD.

BeeGuy
01-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Got pics?

Do you mean a Quillback?

Guitarplayingfish
01-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Chances of getting a quillback are very slim... unless he snagged it of course. They feed on vegetation.

kostianych
01-22-2013, 04:57 PM
last summer, Bow River (Bassano) - 5.5lbs sucker.....looked exactly like an European Carp, expert for the mouth.....

kostianych
01-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Chances of getting a quillback are very slim... unless he snagged it of course. They feed on vegetation.

fishing for quillback : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AKnXWpP344

it`s definetely snagging ;)

Guitarplayingfish
01-22-2013, 04:59 PM
last summer, Bow River (Bassano) - 5.5lbs sucker.....looked exactly like an European Carp, expert for the mouth.....

White sucker?

Silver Redhorse?

Longnose sucker?

kostianych
01-22-2013, 05:00 PM
no, it had scale the size of a toonie.....orange-yellow color and verrrry tasty ;)

and it was different from any sucker I`ve cought so far.....much wider/higher

BeeGuy
01-22-2013, 05:11 PM

The literature states that Quillbacks feed primarily on aquatic invertebrates. They also eat aquatic vegetation.

Guitarplayingfish
01-22-2013, 05:28 PM
The literature states that Quillbacks feed primarily on aquatic invertebrates. They also eat aquatic vegetation.

The invertebrates and the vegetation probably go hand in hand.. :thinking-006:

BuckCuller
01-22-2013, 05:38 PM
I believe the fish that I caught in the reddeer river was a river carp sucker (Carpiodes carpio).

BeeGuy
01-22-2013, 05:47 PM
The invertebrates and the vegetation probably go hand in hand.. :thinking-006:

The literature states that invertebrates, aquatic vegetation, and quillbacks do not have hands. :thinking-006:

BeeGuy
01-22-2013, 05:49 PM
I believe the fish that I caught in the reddeer river was a river carp sucker (Carpiodes carpio).

Cool. That's the same as a quillback. Rare catch in this province.

BuckCuller
01-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Cool. That's the same as a quillback. Rare catch in this province.

Yeh I have not seen one since and I fish the reddeer a lot.

lippy
01-23-2013, 09:01 AM
caught a Quillback on a 00 len thompson in the ss river back in the 70s while casting for walleye. It was hooked in the mouth. Awesome looking fish and put up quite a fight..only one i have ever seen.Must have accidently snagged it through the lips.

millartech
01-23-2013, 09:29 AM
I have pulled a couple suckers out of the Bow River over the past year. One inside the Calgary city limits and the other just outside the city. Not sure exactly which type of suckers they would be. Will need to do a little more research on them and all the different types.

A guy that came along a little later, asked me how the fishing was going, and I told him about everything I caught and mentioned the sucker fish. The guy told me I was crazy and it must have been a white fish. I didn't want to get into an arguement with the guy, but I know damn well it was not a white fish. I have caught numerous whites and this definitely was not.

I am going to go sifting through the pictures I have. Maybe I took a picture of these suckers and will do a little research to determine the exact type of sucker.

jacenbeers
01-23-2013, 10:23 AM
I have pulled a couple suckers out of the Bow River over the past year. One inside the Calgary city limits and the other just outside the city. Not sure exactly which type of suckers they would be. Will need to do a little more research on them and all the different types.

A guy that came along a little later, asked me how the fishing was going, and I told him about everything I caught and mentioned the sucker fish. The guy told me I was crazy and it must have been a white fish. I didn't want to get into an arguement with the guy, but I know damn well it was not a white fish. I have caught numerous whites and this definitely was not.

I am going to go sifting through the pictures I have. Maybe I took a picture of these suckers and will do a little research to determine the exact type of sucker.

It was probably a white sucker or a redhorse sucker. They are pretty common in all the waters of the Bow.

EZM
01-23-2013, 10:45 AM
It was probably a white sucker or a redhorse sucker. They are pretty common in all the waters of the Bow.

Definitely suckers in the bow. Sounds like the guy that challenged you was wrong and not so smart.

Down by the inglewood golf course, on the bow, when I was a kid there was a back channel just packed with the dirty suckers. We used to have a blast down there riding our bikes and hunting suckers in the shallows. These things were huge and gross.

jacenbeers
01-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Definitely suckers in the bow. Sounds like the guy that challenged you was wrong and not so smart.

Down by the inglewood golf course, on the bow, when I was a kid there was a back channel just packed with the dirty suckers. We used to have a blast down there riding our bikes and hunting suckers in the shallows. These things were huge and gross.

Sounds like a good spot to go spear fishing to fill up my bait tubs.

58thecat
01-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Yep they all play for the Calgary Flames.:)

EZM
01-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Sounds like a good spot to go spear fishing to fill up my bait tubs.

Have not been down there for 20 years but just on the downhill road to the golf course, as you cross the irrigation canal, park your vehicle there. Walk southbound along the ditch road (west side) and down a mile to where the golf course ends.

Bush wack toward the river.

You will look up and see the rail bridge, Bonnybrook Bridge and Deerfoot a little ways south.

I don't think there is anywhere else closer to park but I could be wrong.

This area is pretty clear on Google Maps but looks dry in the pictures. I guess water in that shallow back channel depends on the river.

Big back channel - bring a wheel barrow and hip waders.

Tht-_-Fisherman
01-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Yeah I do know that there are suckers in the Bow. Definitely. No doubt about that. Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it. And that back channel souds tempting...going to try that.

DuckBrat
01-23-2013, 09:25 PM

Wrong wrong wrong

You can have great days in faster water casting a jighead and minnow/worm upstream and letting it drift downstream. Quillback will smash your offering. Catch them all the time while going after Sauger. As for carp in the NSR, never seen one and I hope I never do. If there are any they were probably released for good luck by some new canadians who have no understanding of the ecological risks of this practice.

BeeGuy
01-23-2013, 10:34 PM
If there are any they were probably released for good luck by some new canadians who have no understanding of the ecological risks of this practice.

Funny.

I guess the FN can blame new Canadians for introducing Brookies, Browns, Rainbows, invasive minnows and coarse fish, destroying fish habitat and populations, erecting migration barriers, contaminating native fish's gene pools with introduced species and so on.

Only seems fair.

Thanks for advertising your personal prejudices for us.

DuckBrat
01-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Funny.

I guess the FN can blame new Canadians for introducing Brookies, Browns, Rainbows, invasive minnows and coarse fish, destroying fish habitat and populations, erecting migration barriers, contaminating native fish's gene pools with introduced species and so on.

Only seems fair.

I would agree with parts of your statement. Any trout other than AthaB rainbows, bull trout, lake trout, and Cutthroat are invasive in my homeland. As for the prejudice don't see where you get that as there was nothing but the facts in my statement. It is tradition in many parts of the world to release a live fish for good luck. Sadly the tradition is happening here in many cities. Thats why you'll find Carp, Koi, and sankeheads in so many waterways. So don't be so quick draw on the P word. In fact you might think to apologize or retract your statement.

EZM
01-23-2013, 10:49 PM
Giant dirty, slimy, stupid looking, suckers down below the Basano dam too.

FishingFrenzy
01-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Funny.

Only seems fair.

Tell us how you really feel...:)

While your point about most of AB's fish being introduced is 100% true, do we need ANOTHER species thats going wreak the havoc you have described? Especially when you look at the rivers in the US where people can't even boat safely because of the carp jumping all over....

Brookies and browns weren't great for our rivers...but they weren't quite catastrophic...

Also, Canada HAS and ALWAYS will be multicultural, all Canadians were "New Canadians" at some point. In fact it very well could have been new canadians who introduced browns and brookies....

uglyelk
01-23-2013, 11:08 PM
The literature states that invertebrates, aquatic vegetation, and quillbacks do not have hands. :thinking-006:

Chickens don't have fingers...but I suspect you might have ate the odd one:thinking-006:Sometimes it's better not to think about it.

uglyelk
01-23-2013, 11:14 PM
http://coreybradshaw.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/frog-legs-jpg.jpe?w=510

BeeGuy
01-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Tell us how you really feel...:)

While your point about most of AB's fish being introduced is 100% true, do we need ANOTHER species thats going wreak the havoc you have described? Especially when you look at the rivers in the US where people can't even boat safely because of the carp jumping all over....

Brookies and browns weren't great for our rivers...but they weren't quite catastrophic...

Also, Canada HAS and ALWAYS will be multicultural, all Canadians were "New Canadians" at some point. In fact it very well could have been new canadians who introduced browns and brookies....

I guess it depends on what qualifies as a catastrophe.

Browns have had an enormous impact on Bull Trout, quickly displacing them.

Brookies are hybridizing with Bull Trout. Once the Brookie genes enter the Bull Trout gene pool, if they do not cause sterility, they will contaminate the gene pool forever. Forever.

The same result occurs with introduced rainbows and native cutthroat. Where we once had native cutthroat we now have every manner of "Cutbow" or "Rainthroat" hybrid. There is no way back either.

The point of my post was to identify the fact that blaming the invasive carp on one particular ethnic group with no evidence whatsoever, only promotes one's prejudice and contributes nothing to the discussion.

In all likelihood the carp were introduced by an old white guy.

Was my post that hard to follow??

DuckBrat
01-23-2013, 11:42 PM
on one particular ethnic group

No "particular ethnic groups" were singled out. Please read post again.

One example of my point:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/20/frankenfish-snakehead-bc-fine/

There are plenty more if you search the topic.

BeeGuy
01-24-2013, 12:06 AM
No "particular ethnic groups" were singled out. Please read post again.

One example of my point:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/20/frankenfish-snakehead-bc-fine/

There are plenty more if you search the topic.

Maybe you could tell us who releases carp for good luck?

You did single out a group. Without question.

Your statement was more than clear, prejudiced, and flatly wrong.

How could AB's invasive carp be the product of a white guy if only people who release carp for good luck have "no understanding of the ecological risks of this practice".

My response might be a bit strong, but frankly, I'm sick of this crap.

DuckBrat
01-24-2013, 08:32 AM
I disagree with your unfounded accusations and might suggest you work on reading comprehension. In essence, Buzz off Bee. Over.

FishingFrenzy
01-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Beeguy, Maybe you should tell us who release carp for good luck? If it is, in fact a buddhist ritual for good luck...then doesn't it seem obvious that could be where the invasive carp are coming from? If there was a religion comprised of mostly white people, and they were releasing the carp for good luck...i'd say the same thing.

I don't see anything "racist" about it. If its true, then where's the prejudice? It like if I said "the majority of the worlds Arab people live in desert climates" am I being racist or am I stating a fact? Same thing applies here, but suddenly if I say "buddhist people release non-native fish for good luck" im being racist....?

While I do infact understand the damages Brook Trout and Brown Trout have caused...they have also provided a viable sport fishery... infact they have been stocked in places where no fish occured naturally or places where other fish aren't as apt to survive. And I know of many places in AB where I can go and catch pure strain Atha bows and pure non-brookie-hybrid bulls. As well I know where to go to catch hybrids, and also straight up brookies and browns. Brook and Brown trout have been in AB for 50+ years the way I understand it, and so far they haven't managed to wipe out any species. Now, things need to be managed carefully to avoid this, but it hasn't happened yet. Now im not going to lie, im not intimately familiar with the carp "crisis" in the US, but If I understand correctly, in a very short period of time they managed to wipe out previously existing species... If the carp can be introduced to provide a viable sport fishery without wiping out any other fishery, im all in. I just don't think that can happen.

...just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

jrs
01-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Beeguy, Maybe you should tell us who release carp for good luck? If it is, in fact a buddhist ritual for good luck...then doesn't it seem obvious that could be where the invasive carp are coming from? If there was a religion comprised of mostly white people, and they were releasing the carp for good luck...i'd say the same thing.

I don't see anything "racist" about it. If its true, then where's the prejudice? It like if I said "the majority of the worlds Arab people live in desert climates" am I being racist or am I stating a fact? Same thing applies here, but suddenly if I say "buddhist people release non-native fish for good luck" im being racist....?

While I do infact understand the damages Brook Trout and Brown Trout have caused...they have also provided a viable sport fishery... infact they have been stocked in places where no fish occured naturally or places where other fish aren't as apt to survive. And I know of many places in AB where I can go and catch pure strain Atha bows and pure non-brookie-hybrid bulls. As well I know where to go to catch hybrids, and also straight up brookies and browns. Brook and Brown trout have been in AB for 50+ years the way I understand it, and so far they haven't managed to wipe out any species. Now, things need to be managed carefully to avoid this, but it hasn't happened yet. Now im not going to lie, im not intimately familiar with the carp "crisis" in the US, but If I understand correctly, in a very short period of time they managed to wipe out previously existing species... If the carp can be introduced to provide a viable sport fishery without wiping out any other fishery, im all in. I just don't think that can happen.

...just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

Actually, brook trout have wiped out populations of athabasca rainbow trout, bull trout, and cutthroats in many streams that had historic populations. I like catching brook trout as much as the next guy but still realize they had very negative impacts in many drainages. I also agree they provide fishing opportunity in many areas where no natural occuring fishery ever existed. Carp are simply able to survive accross even more of Alberta due to water temperature/ habitat. Id say we're lucky not to have a huge carp problem yet (i wont say no carp as there are local infestations).

nightcrawler
01-24-2013, 01:51 PM
If you pick up Barry Mitchells fishing guide, their is an excellent article in it about cut-bows. Apparently, there are almost ZERO pure strain rainbows left in alberta, due to cut/bow hybridization.... trying to find the article , will post link if I can