PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else have issues with their big game tags this year

BBD
01-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Just wondering if anybody else had issues with tags seperating from the wire after sticking them together in cold weather? I had it happen once before & took it into the local F&W office & they looked at it & put in a metal tag to replace it. Is this a common problem?

basketdeer
01-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Yes just happen to me on my bison not too much you can do about it .:

hillbillyreefer
01-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Just wondering if anybody else had issues with tags seperating from the wire after sticking them together in cold weather? I had it happen once before & took it into the local F&W office & they looked at it & put in a metal tag to replace it. Is this a common problem?

Yes, happens all the time. The colder the weather the worse they are to get to stick.

coyote_man
01-21-2013, 06:18 PM
A friend has his come apart and made for a worrisome trip home.After his experience I started warming tags up inside my clothes and that solved the problem.

wildcat111
01-21-2013, 06:20 PM
happens alot i always take a picture of the animal tagged, and i make sure to take a picture of the tag itself, had one blow off in the back of the truck once, now i make enough proof as i can just in case.

heretohunt
01-21-2013, 06:46 PM
You can wrap the tag to the leg with packing tape too if it is an issue.

Weatherbyguy
01-21-2013, 07:04 PM
I always put the tag on then put a sandwich bag overtop then black tape wrapping it to the leg ive had a few not work i do this even in sept i dont trust them

hillbillyreefer
01-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Maybe the geniuses at SRD could round off the tag price to an even $37.00 and spend their windfall on better glue.

I hear next year we have to bring our own glue, the red queen can't afford any perks for hunters.

Lefty-Canuck
01-21-2013, 07:10 PM
This year I started skinning the hock out a but more to make a small pouch.... Then tag it and tuck the tag in the pouch. Usually warm enough initially from the animal itself for the glue to stick.... And it protects the tag.

LC

BuckHunterBowen
01-21-2013, 08:23 PM
I don't have any issues with tags freezing....just keep em in my maggot pocket if I'm outta the truck where they could get cold...I did have a printer eat my tag during the printing process and had to go get a reprint of the tag te next day. Lost a morning of hunting and had to pay reprint costs...

Rhino81
01-21-2013, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't know. I don't use the wire. I wrap the tag around the tendon and stick it to itself.

Attilathecanuk
01-21-2013, 08:55 PM
My problem with a tag was not finding a mulie buck to try and tag! :(

Dog hunter
01-21-2013, 09:39 PM
:sHa_shakeshout:When I ate my elk tag it got stuck in my teeth

L.O.S.T.Arrow
01-22-2013, 08:08 AM
:) It is an issue... had both my moose and elk come apart before I got them home and it wasnt even that cold...Sept-Oct..bowhunting seasons..

Even though the wire was bent and stuck in the middle of the paper sticky tag..both had one end work out..

Would have hated to get stopped by SRD on the way...by law we are supposed to tag immeadiatly...wonder how many tags get lost getting the animals out of the rough stuff...putting clear packing tape on them may be considered altering the tag and raise Suspicion ..

It needs to be adressed for sure..

Neil

Stinky Buffalo
01-22-2013, 08:31 AM
I hear next year we have to bring our own glue, the red queen can't afford any perks for hunters.

Maybe she's been using the "good" glue for other purposes? :sign0068:

Every now and then I wistfully pull out one of my unused old style metal "zip" tags and reminisce...

Pincherguy
01-22-2013, 08:47 AM
happens alot i always take a picture of the animal tagged, and i make sure to take a picture of the tag itself, had one blow off in the back of the truck once, now i make enough proof as i can just in case.

excellant idea. seem we all have phones with cameras these days so good plan.
PG

a little redneck
01-23-2013, 09:06 AM
X2 on the great idea. Do you need to keep the tag, and take the tag with you if you want to take game meat to the butcher to make Pepperoni or jerky and such even though the game is already butchered?

L.O.S.T.Arrow
01-23-2013, 12:31 PM
X2 on the great idea. Do you need to keep the tag, and take the tag with you if you want to take game meat to the butcher to make Pepperoni or jerky and such even though the game is already butchered?

:) All you need is your Wildlife Certificate and Tag numbers..doesnt hurt to take Certifcate and tag info paper with the numbers...

Neil

Newfish
01-23-2013, 05:07 PM
I have no problem even in -20 C, I keep them in my inner pocket once they stick together no way you can get it off, just made sure no snow on it .:thinking-006:

omega50
01-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Rumours have it that poachers have long been known to blast the tags with fire extinguishers and peel them open and then re-use them
I miss the old metal tags.

BBD
01-23-2013, 05:28 PM
It was my understanding that these were supposed to be tamper proof tags. I'm not sure how SRD or whatever they're called these days could charge a hunter if the tag was closed but one side of the wire had popped out of the side
& was still affixed to the animal but it's up to the officer. If there is a known problem with the tags they themselves issue they should fix it. My friend wasn't charged but he could have been.

verminator
01-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Had the same issue this year was extremely cold out. Ended up taking a lighter and holding it close to heat up the tag, seamed to help make it stick together. Was concerned when it wouldn't close at first as i really didn't want it fall off while hauling out of bush. But all was good once it sealed together.

Country_boy17
01-28-2013, 02:53 AM
I personally didn't have any issues with mine, I also kept mine inside a inner pocket on my hunting coat, so it kept pretty warm i spose.

FCLightning
01-28-2013, 06:51 AM
This years tags are the worst I have ever used. All three tags refused to stick.
Why don't they talk to the ski hill folks for where to source tags from?

honda450
01-28-2013, 08:51 AM
I personally didn't have any issues with mine, I also kept mine inside a inner pocket on my hunting coat, so it kept pretty warm i spose.

Think thats the trick, keep em warm in your shirt pocket.

I sure did not like them when they first come out after the metal ones. Lost a paper one dragging out a deer and had to go back along the trail to find it. Tuck under hide method works good now that I know.

What year did paper take over anyhow, thinking 1990?

Heres a pic of the old metal ones for folks who never seen them, on my moose. They were color coded for the year, and the number had to match your wildlife certificate, or stamp.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/honda450990/SAM_0237_zps26f85925.jpg

FCLightning
01-28-2013, 09:09 AM
The metal ones were certainly not secure either.
Why isn't simpler better? A waterproof, tearproof paper with a piece of string. Notch the date of the kill.

Mutter87
01-28-2013, 09:22 AM
The metal ones were certainly not secure either.
Why isn't simpler better? A waterproof, tearproof paper with a piece of string. Notch the date of the kill.

They should just make the rules more lienent. When you get your animal to your vehicle, attach the tag. Put the leg on the bottom or in a bag and the rest of the meat on top.

Making someone tag an animal at the kill site then having to bring it back, in some cases many kilometers, seems like a hassle that DOES lead to lost tags. Now you have a real issue on your hands if you can't recover the lost tag.

honda450
01-28-2013, 09:34 AM
They should just make the rules more lienent. When you get your animal to your vehicle, attach the tag. Put the leg on the bottom or in a bag and the rest of the meat on top.

Making someone tag an animal at the kill site then having to bring it back, in some cases many kilometers, seems like a hassle that DOES lead to lost tags. Now you have a real issue on your hands if you can't recover the lost tag.

Disagree the critter should be tagged immediaty after kill, as it presenty is. Take precautions of the tag. Simple as that.

FCLightning
01-28-2013, 10:38 AM
I don't see an issue with lost tags - if you are hauling out your animal pay attention to the tag. It is in your best interest to do so. Making a tag abuse proof for those who don't care to pay attention to the security of the tag is not a practical reality. But having a tag that is very easy to re-use is a significant issue that should be dealt with.