PDA

View Full Version : Limited mobility?

403BigGame
01-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Any hunters with disabilities? Im just trying to figure out what kind of options there are for hunters with limited mobility.

This is going to be my first year hunting but Im not quite sure whats the best way to go about it as I am mobility impared, I am able to walk, and Im not confined to a wheelchair or anything but I cant really hike in to remote locations or walk for extended periods of time.

So does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the best way to hunt? IE: road hunting, quadding out, ground blinds vs tree stands? ect. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Mainly interested in hunting elk, deer and bear if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

bagwan
01-22-2013, 02:17 PM
See your local game people and get the forms for your Doc to sign that allow you to Quad in the AM. Age is not an escuse, you must be legitimate. Also if you qualify, ensure you respect any hunters by watching where you quad.

Okotokian
01-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Not all hunting is either road hunting or hiking miles into the back country. I hunt some places where I usually see game within a couple hundred yards of walking in from the gate on flat ground. If I shoot something I can then drive in and right up to it. You just have to find that sort of land and landowner. Not that hard.... Just get a county map and go for a drive some spring afternoon.

Dacotensis
01-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Can you hike 100M?200M?.

Then get to your spot and sit and wait.
I have shot lots of animals within sight of my truck.
I've also shot lots within 100m from a road where the truck is parked while hiding on a field edge.
You can get strategic and hide your ride within an easy hike.

Quads are ok, but you will see far more game if you sit and wait.
Take some food, water a book if that's your thing.
You are going to have to change your tactics if in the past you were the type to trudge through the bush all day.

There are permits that will allow you to take the quad and some other permits as well, personally I like the ambush hunts.
Or get into calling game to you. Put yourself in a position to be there before the animals arrive.

Can you ride a pedal bike? How about a 3 wheeler pedal trike? This will help you continue your stealth hunts.
ATV's are loud and tend to scare animals away.
I like sitting and watching a quad go by and then watching a deer come back out after the quad has left. Makes me smile every time.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-22-2013, 02:50 PM
I to have issues with how far I can walk due to a smashed up ankle . Not because Im lazy , or fat . I used to hike miles when I was younger before this ankle . Anyway now thats put to the side , if your willing to make contacts by talking to land owners are often more willing to help a guy out at least in my experince , to drive out to where your hunting get out set up your blind etc , and either leave your truck nearby , or get your hunting buddy to move it and he or she hike back . I have done that now the past two years . And my sucess is far more than the 3 years prior to that .

Or you can sit on lease roads and watch for game , This is what I used to do and sometimes still do , but prefer much more sitting in a field .

But good on you for wanting to do whatever it takes to do the thing you enjoy .

403BigGame
01-22-2013, 03:07 PM
100-200m would be pretty difficult for me, same with a bike, Im only 31 and a first time hunter, I have osteoarthritis and ankylosing spondylitis which has left some of the joints in my lower back fused together so I really cant make much more than probably 20-30 yards without being in agony.

I will have a hunting partner to help with dressing, hauling ect, if thats even legal or would that be against the regs?

Will the smell of an atv close by scare the animals away if I get set up real early and just sit and wait/call them in?

Jamie
01-22-2013, 03:27 PM
100-200m would be pretty difficult for me, same with a bike, Im only 31 and a first time hunter, I have osteoarthritis and ankylosing spondylitis which has left some of the joints in my lower back fused together so I really cant make much more than probably 20-30 yards without being in agony.

I will have a hunting partner to help with dressing, hauling ect, if thats even legal or would that be against the regs?

Will the smell of an atv close by scare the animals away if I get set up real early and just sit and wait/call them in?

Sounds like you have a reasonable reason to get the quad license that allows you to ride all day.
Keep the wind in your favor, get to your spot and sit down
Bring a book to read

Good luck
Btw, I would be talking with farmers right now and let them know of your situation. Chances are you will come up with a honey hole.

Jamie

Dacotensis
01-22-2013, 03:33 PM
I know, that after quading into and out of my hunting destinations that my body is pretty sore.
I suspect that if you have a fused lower back, that bouncing around on a quad won't help your situation much.
Learn to hide your vehicle or have someone drop you off and pick you up.
The problem with this is if your buddy picks you up after an evening hunt you are going to scare any game in the area-out of the area. That's why I prefer stealth mode to get in and out of.
If you want to hunt a field in a one-off evening hunt, then all bets are off and shoot the first deer you see. They won't be comming back anyway.

btw, the tactics and advice I'm giving are from a lifetime of hunting this way.I have no other option.

If quading is your thing, you will see game but again the noise is a factor.
I shot my moose this year while sitting beside my quad, but I knew she was comming out anyway so I wasn't worried about hunting there the next day.
There are some parts of the province where trucks and quads are the only method, when you have small patches of bush that are 400m apart spread out all across the prairies, who's gong to walk all day to hunt 1% of huntable habitat?
Have you considered modifying a 3 wheeled pedal trike into a hand crank?
Add in a vertical crank/sprocket and chain.
Where there's a will there's a way.

Pudelpointer
01-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Except in some rare circumstances on private land, I would say finding and elk with your limitations is going to be very difficult, not impossible, but not likely.

Whitetail deer are a great option for someone with mobility issues IMO, because they are much easier to pattern then any other big game animal (save the hate mail... just my opinion). A lot of areas can be glasses from a long way off until you can figure out how deer are using an area. Keep track of weather and wind direction and plan out your hunt accordingly. I have made a stupid amount of noise getting into a location and still had deer use their habituated trails, as long as you allow enough time between your arrival and theirs.

If using a vehicle to get within a couple hundred metres of your hunting spot, I would suggest a full 2 hours of dead quiet as a minimum, 3 if you can sit still that long, before you expect to see anything.

Bears are "road huntable" in the spring (and somewhat in the fall) in a lot of areas. Another option is to scout for fresh sign, and then set up on the area maybe between 1:00 and 3:00pm and wait until dark. Have seen lots of bears that way.

Good luck.

403BigGame
01-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I will get started by contacting land owners right away, and I like that idea of a hand crank bike, I will definitely look into that as well.

Hopefully I can luck out and find somewhere that I can hunt elk as it is my fave, but sure wont complain with a nice white tail on my plate.

Thanks again.

Pincherguy
01-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Any hunters with disabilities? Im just trying to figure out what kind of options there are for hunters with limited mobility.

This is going to be my first year hunting but Im not quite sure whats the best way to go about it as I am mobility impared, I am able to walk, and Im not confined to a wheelchair or anything but I cant really hike in to remote locations or walk for extended periods of time.

So does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the best way to hunt? IE: road hunting, quadding out, ground blinds vs tree stands? ect. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Mainly interested in hunting elk, deer and bear if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

I am in the same boat, two back operations. Can't walk all that far so my plan is to get one of the permits to operate an atv during the day. Just plan on using it to get to my stand or ground blind and such. I have had two seasons where I can't get back where I used to go and have not fillled a tag in the last two years,
PG

Pinhead
01-22-2013, 06:41 PM

Hi 403,

I have them same disease (AS). I just got back into hunting after not being able to for years. I used to walk lot hunting but now I have had to change and now get to a spot and sit, either in my wheelchair or an office chair that allows me to swing 360 deg.

PM me if you want to talk one night.

Dan

Ebrand
01-22-2013, 07:03 PM
My main hunting partner was burned badly 4 years ago. He is good for a 100m or so now. He is missing most of his right hand and his lung capacity was reduced to about 50%. Among many other issues from the fire. He has applied for and obtained a permit to use his quad with a gun on it on public land before noon and a permit to use a cross bow during the archery season. He must renew these permits every year. Initially he had to have his doctor do up the paperwork and apply for the permits. Now he must renew them in person every year (no doctors forms needed to renew). We have got him a critter every year since the accident. He coyote hunts on his own. He has great luck ( and perseverance ) and gets out with his quad and truck on land he has access to. I am around to help load and gut and skin. He has taught himself to shoot with what is left of his hand. Got a huge cow Moose this year. Don't give up!! Get into the local F&W office and get every permit they will issue you. Your hunting buddy can help you with your hunt quite a bit. Good Luck!!!! And don't give up.

403BigGame
01-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Its encouraging to know there are others with disabilities out there doing what they love, I have always had an interest in hunting but just didnt have a clue where to start, Im glad there are forums like this to gain advice from, it shows that people truly do care.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will be sure to post how everything goes with my first hunt :fighting0007:

Dacotensis
01-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Its encouraging to know there are others with disabilities out there doing what they love, I have always had an interest in hunting but just didnt have a clue where to start, Im glad there are forums like this to gain advice from, it shows that people truly do care.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will be sure to post how everything goes with my first hunt :fighting0007:

What this forum should be about.

Stay tuned, I will post a picture in a day or two of my contraption.

403BigGame
01-22-2013, 07:53 PM
:party0052: