PDA

View Full Version : Calling Closed Area

frenchwhitey
06-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Hey guys,
Just heading out to Calling Lake for the first time on Sunday and from what the regs say part of the lake is closed. Could someone please explain exactly what part of the lake is closed I'm having a difficult time deciphering the reg's explanation. Thanks for the help. If any of you are gonna be there I'll be the guy in the 14 ft aluminum called the S.S. Leaky Bucket if you wanna come chat. You can't miss the boat. There'll be two guys in there bailin like crazy trying to fish at the same time.:lol: Take er easy.

Whitey

Neil Waugh
06-13-2008, 07:27 PM
If what I heard at the Fisheries Roundtable goes anywhere Calling is going to go tags next year and the "no go" area will be dropped.

Drewski Canuck
06-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Neil,

I really do not see the need for more revenue generation through the Tag issuance strategy. Tags make sense for lakes where there is alot of fishing pressure in close proximity to large populations. Reason being the lake walleye population is small, and the fishing pressure would decimate the lake in short order. Such a strategy makes sense where the population was collapsed and recovering (ie Wolf Lake), or where the fishing pressure would quickly take out the breeding population (ie Pigeon).

Calling is niether recovering or suffering fishing pressure which is collapsing the population.

The use of tags on Long Lake near Boyle where the population is recovering makes sense, and would be a good strategy.

Truth be known, Catch and Release Mortality in lakes like Pigeon, St. Anne, Isle Lake, Shinningbank Lake, Baptiste Lake, etc is doing more damage than we realize. A 100 fish day with even 5 % mortality is still 5 dead fish. A tag system for these lakes will allow "dead anyway" injured fish to be utilized. Other than thinning out a size class, this is what the tag system should be used for in these lakes.

As for opening the closed area at Calling, this will spread the fishing pressure out over the lake, but could put returning Rock Island River spawning fish under pressure. If the closed area does open, it has to be late enough to let the freshly spawned out Walleye a chance to escape into the lake, so why not just leave the Closed area Closed until June 1?

Drewski

impatient_hunter
06-15-2008, 10:51 PM
The line is the northerly most third of the lake. The Eastern edge of the line is marked with a marker on the shore. If you look for it it is orange and a tree has partially fallen over it. On the west side it is also marked.

frenchwhitey
06-17-2008, 02:55 PM
The line is the northerly most third of the lake. The Eastern edge of the line is marked with a marker on the shore. If you look for it it is orange and a tree has partially fallen over it. On the west side it is also marked.

IH, Thanks for the info. I have a small boat so I stayed more to the south end. Caught around 20 with the biggest around 4.5 lbs. Beautiful lake. Caught them mostly trolling bottom bouncers w/ spinner rigs and minnows.

Whitey

threev
06-20-2008, 12:05 AM
As far as i can see Calling Lake is not even listed under NB2 Lake Stream Listings which means it falls under general provincial regulations. I could not find any information on some part of the lake being closed in new 2008 Regs. I might be wrong though. Can anyone comment on it?!

FisherPotch
06-20-2008, 01:12 AM
Calling is in NB1