PDA

View Full Version : The next time someone says "if the hook is too deep, leave it in and it will dissolve"

Ken07AOVette
01-22-2013, 09:04 PM
You show them this.

Imagine what these animals go through, when a hook goes through them.

I generally put back fish this size, but when I saw the 2nd line sticking out of her mouth I knew there was a hook deep. I didn't know until I got home just how deep it was.

There may have been a time where the old untreated hooks 'dissolved' :rolleye2: in time, but I had my doubts. With these new chemically sharpened and treated hooks, now I really doubt.

Also, just an ethical thought here, but using the smallest lightest line just to say you caught a 8 lb fish on 2 lb line is ridiculous. Pease use some common sense. Fish may not scream cry and grunt like other dying and suffering animals, but I bet they feel pain. Buy quality fluorocarbon and quit being a tough guy.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/IMG_5561_zps9a673cc8.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/IMG_5562_zps5eb75197.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/IMG_5563_zps8eee23cf.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/IMG_5564_zpsc09cad5d.jpg

ericlin0122
01-22-2013, 09:07 PM
This kind of post always make me laugh.

Ken07AOVette
01-22-2013, 09:07 PM

do tell. Hilarious that the fish suffered while the hook passed through? Or that someone cares about animals and ethics?

vcmm
01-22-2013, 09:08 PM
You show them this.

Imagine what these animals go through, when a hook goes through them.

I generally put back fish this size, but when I saw the 2nd line sticking out of her mouth I knew there was a hook deep. I didn't know until I got home just how deep it was.

There may have been a time where the old untreated hooks 'dissolved' :rolleye2: in time, but I had my doubts. With these new chemically sharpened and treated hooks, now I really doubt.

Also, just an ethical thought here, but using the smallest lightest line just to say you caught a 8 lb fish on 2 lb line is ridiculous. Pease use some common sense. Fish may not scream cry and grunt like other dying and suffering animals, but I bet they feel pain. Buy quality fluorocarbon and quit being a tough guy.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/IMG_5561_zps9a673cc8.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/IMG_5562_zps5eb75197.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/IMG_5563_zps8eee23cf.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/IMG_5564_zpsc09cad5d.jpg

Gawd,Thats got to hurt.Brings new meaning to pain in the azz.

Ken07AOVette
01-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Gawd,Thats got to hurt.Brings new meaning to pain in the azz.

You watch, before long some pinhead is going to come in and say 'what's the problem? It went through without damaging the fish"

vcmm
01-22-2013, 09:13 PM
You watch, before long some pinhead is going to come in and say 'what's the problem? It went through without damaging the fish"

I would'nt take that bet.Sure as the sun is going to come up.

Alberta Bigbore
01-22-2013, 09:13 PM
what's the problem? It went through without damaging the fish

bpoppa85
01-22-2013, 09:14 PM

Can't be humane and be a hunter/fisher? Accidents happen and lines break but he still brings up valid points.

Alberta Bigbore
All in all he looks rigged and ready to go for pike under a tip up. Cool pics though ken.. never seen it before

vcmm
what's the problem? It went through without damaging the fish

:sign0068::argue2:

Ken07AOVette
01-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Dissolving fish hook just got googled many times........

damn ABB :sign0176:

Alberta Bigbore
01-22-2013, 09:19 PM
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/mojobass/winkwink.jpg

jeffrey929
01-22-2013, 09:20 PM
I bet he feels very fortunate that you saved him

C Taylor
01-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Ouch. I quess you could say proof is in the puddin on this one eh

Ken07AOVette
01-22-2013, 09:25 PM

Oh. Ha. Haaaaa....

It's a she, can't you read? :rolleye2:

Way to miss the point completely.

Ken07AOVette
01-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Ouch. I quess you could say proof is in the puddin on this one eh

Ya poor little bugger, imagine that working all the way through.

missingtwo
01-22-2013, 09:26 PM

Ironic isn't it.

jeffrey929
01-22-2013, 09:30 PM
From now on I intend to go sit on the ice or in my boat and wait for the fish to give up and decide they would like to come home with me... If i get skunked at least i will know I did nothing to harm them

tight line
01-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Caught a big Cutt with line hanging out his azz once. Not a pretty sight, i knew there was a hook in him... But he fought hard and was extremely healthy looking! Im not saying he wasnt hurtin. Its amazing how tough animals are, you have to think how a human would react to something like that! Personally im the kinda guy that is gonna do the surgery and get the hook out before i leave it in, wheather the fish makes it or not...thats just how i roll. I cant remember the last time that happened. Part of the game... All you can do is feel good about getting a good hook set in the lip, and a clean release on a little brookie, and hope that maybe that hook in that fish came from a kid that lost his "biggest brookie" and now has a love for fishing, and maybe learned something...

BeeGuy
Geez Ken, how long did you play that fish for? :scared0018:

So, if the fish swallows the hook, what should someone do?

There are a lot of hazards to fish when fishing.....

Remember that time the line broke bottom bouncing for walleye/burbs/whatever? what happened to the baited hook?

There is inherent risks to fish when trying to hook them in the face. One just has to mitigate those risks as well as they can. Otherwise we would have to stop using hooks and just be happy when a fish bites the lure.

Good to know that modern hooks aren't likely to dissolve very quickly.

Ken07AOVette
From now on I intend to go sit on the ice or in my boat and wait for the fish to give up and decide they would like to come home with me... If i get skunked at least i will know I did nothing to harm them

:rolleye2:

Ken07AOVette
01-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Geez Ken, how long did you play that fish for? :scared0018:
So, if the fish swallows the hook, what should someone do?
There are a lot of hazards to fish when fishing.....
Remember that time the line broke bottom bouncing for walleye/burbs/whatever? what happened to the baited hook?
There is inherent risks to fish when trying to hook them in the face. One just has to mitigate those risks as well as they can. Otherwise we would have to stop using hooks and just be happy when a fish bites the lure.
Good to know that modern hooks aren't likely to dissolve very quickly.

Lol, about 3 seconds. :sHa_sarcasticlol:
fish swallows hook? Kill and eat it.
I agree completely about mitigating risks, the biggest reason for the thread.

My biggest point in the thread, and I know you caught it, was respect nature.

jeffrey929
01-22-2013, 09:40 PM
To respect nature, one should leave it in it's own environment, risk free of being hunted or caught and eaten... You caught a fish, you killed a fish... Not very respectful...

BeeGuy
01-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Interestingly,

Although a couple fish pics have been posted where the fish has a hook stuck somewhere in it, there can be no pics of fish with a dissolved hook in it.

Perhaps some hooks do dissolve, there just isn't any evidence left for us.

Or maybe gut hooked fish usually die...

Ken07AOVette
01-22-2013, 09:43 PM
To respect nature, one should leave it in it's own environment, risk free of being hunted or caught and eaten... You caught a fish, you killed a fish... Not very respectful...

Sorry sport, you are wrong. Ethical harvest, look it up.

PETA member? Wow are you trolling the wrong forum.

Lefty-Canuck
01-22-2013, 09:45 PM
If you hook an undersize fish bad there are really 2 things to do...

....try to get the hook out and risk killing it in the process (you have to let it go legally anyhow).

....or cut the line as close to the hook as you can, limit the time it is out of the water, and hope it disolves or finds another way out....you have to release the fish anyway legally.

BUT....if it is of legal size and in a lake that allows harvest....then keep it.

LC

Pikehunter13
01-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Well it looks like he was almost done digesting the hook.
If you didn't catch him he would have been fine.

No big deal. Don't like it... Stop fishing your self and find a new hobbie like, Flying a kite in the wind.

jeffrey929
01-22-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm not the one pounding the respect drum... I enjoy fishing more than you can imagine and do my absolute best to do what is right... but sometimes, bad things will happen to good fish... if you are going to fillet it, try to enjoy it, and not be so preachy

Ken07AOVette
01-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Well it looks like he was almost done digesting the hook.
If you didn't catch him he would have been fine.

No big deal. Don't like it... Stop fishing your self and find a new hobbie like, Flying a kite in the wind.

Lol go fly a kite? You just said that? Ethics be damned, huh?

I'm not the one pounding the respect drum... I enjoy fishing more than you can imagine and do my absolute best to do what is right... but sometimes, bad things will happen to good fish... if you are going to fillet it, try to enjoy it, and not be so preachy

But of course you do, no one does more than you to be right. If you don't like the sermon hit the bricks. But thanks for your repeated snotty input.

jeffrey929
01-22-2013, 09:51 PM
I guess that I should... you have clearly taken all the fish and are going home

Bushmaster
01-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Ken, you need to set the hook a little quicker ! :D

Mutter87
01-22-2013, 09:52 PM
This is very unfortunate. It would be nice if they designed hooks that are enginered to dissolve inside of a fish.

On another note, and a rarity, I agree with everything Ken has said in this thread..:scared0015:

Alberta Bigbore
01-22-2013, 09:53 PM

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/mojobass/clevergandolf.png

Hunter Trav
01-22-2013, 09:55 PM
So what do you do if the fish has swallowed the hook but its not of legal size Ken? Legit question, not trying to be a smart ass...

Mutter87
01-22-2013, 09:57 PM
So what do you do if the fish has swallowed the hook but its not of legal size Ken? Legit question, not trying to be a smart ass...

Cut the line at the eye, hope the hooks disolve.

Hunter Trav
01-22-2013, 10:01 PM

No I was asking Ken what he does, but thanks...:rolleye2:

Ken07AOVette
01-22-2013, 10:04 PM

I agree.

Also, I carry a real long hemostat, have never had to leave a hook in a fish, lucky so far. I generally cut the line and remove through the gills if possible, instead of trying to pull barbs back through. Hemostats work well.

bpoppa85
01-22-2013, 10:08 PM
I agree.

Also, I carry a real long hemostat, have never had to leave a hook in a fish. I consider that complete luck of course.

Not going to lie, i just looked up what a hemostat was.:confused:

crf250xtom
01-22-2013, 10:08 PM

Depends if it is an expensive or good hook im getting that hook back

Ken07AOVette
01-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Not going to lie, i just looked up what a hemostat was.:confused:

Fishing is the only time I like using them :(

vcmm
01-22-2013, 10:10 PM
I would'nt take that bet.Sure as the sun is going to come up.

Hate to say Ken but I was right.

Ken07AOVette
01-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Hate to say Ken but I was right.

You are more often right than not. :)

Ken07AOVette
01-22-2013, 10:13 PM
....try to get the hook out and risk killing it in the process (you have to let it go legally anyhow).
....or cut the line as close to the hook as you can, limit the time it is out of the water, and hope it disolves or finds another way out....you have to release the fish anyway legally.
BUT....if it is of legal size and in a lake that allows harvest....then keep it.
LC

perfect reply, missed it fighting trolls under the bridge :fighting0030:

huntingd
01-22-2013, 10:14 PM
The barb on that hook is not pinched properly. All kidding aside it would be nice if these things never happend. Its too bad that they do.

Ken07AOVette
01-22-2013, 10:18 PM
The barb on that hook is not pinched properly. All kidding aside it would be nice if these things never happend. Its too bad that they do.

Exactly.

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz310/harisbay/ist2_1535790-i-agree.jpg

fish gunner
01-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Stainless hooks don't dissolve , it is possible the Angler unknowingly used stainless. a stainless rig is a bad idea in fresh water.

Cal
01-22-2013, 10:20 PM

LC

I agree that a legal fish should be kept if badly hooked. I think that the treatment of an undersized fish depends. If I've got a little pike with a #2 Len Thompson clogging its throat I'll try to get it out, if its just a baited hook I clip the line.

The tough ones are the big fish, I sure hate keeping them so I'll generaly give them the same treatment as an undersized fish unless they are quite obviously going to die. They've got a better chance of living if I put them back, hook or no hook IMO.

I agree that Ken's picture is an eye opener for sure, but I though that fishermen as a comunity have been maintaining that fish dont feel pain since about the late seventys?

HunterDave
01-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Cool pic, thanks for sharing.

I've caught numerous pike and pickerel in Ontario with jigs in their stomach and I even caught a catfish once with a piece of metal stringer still closed in it's mouth through the gills but a fish with a hook sticking out of it's bum I've never seen. It looks like it made its way through the system nicely and it would have survived.

If it worked its way through without getting hooked up it might have only been in there a day or two.

Mudslide
01-22-2013, 10:57 PM
What am I missing here? The fish not only survived but was just about to pass the hook all the way through it's digestive trac. So what's the fuss about?
Just say'n.
:confused:

drhook
01-22-2013, 10:58 PM
If fish would scream when you take the hook out there would be a lot less people fishing...

IMO cutting the line a deep set is better than pulling a hook out, barbed or no barb. Once you damage the gills there is a slight chance it will live for long. I've caught many fish with another hook already in it.

WayneChristie
01-22-2013, 11:20 PM
http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/SafetyProcedures/FishHandling.aspx
quote from mywildalberta "Prepare in advance to release your fish by choosing a hook that can be removed from the fish's mouth easily or use landing nets when they help quick release. Use needle-nose pliers to remove hooks and never tear a hook from a fish. If the hook is deeply embedded in the fish's throat, snip the line and release the fish, leaving the hook in place. The hook will eventually dissolve."
right or wrong, they know more than I do

missingtwo
01-22-2013, 11:29 PM
It is very obvious that this fish was never landed, until ken caught it. Pretty hard to control how much line is left on the hook when the line breaks.
Now a hook left in a fish is a good idea, according to the photos. Even if they don't disolve they pass right through. Might not be comfortable, but the fish survives. Well, until ken catches them. Carry on, do what you think is best.

CamoDerrick
01-22-2013, 11:32 PM
I often help the Edmonton F&G with the children's trout pond at the annual Boat & Sportsman Show. If after a child catches a trout, it swallows a hook too deep we just cut the line. By digging a hook out you often end up killing the fish, which is less than ideal for us to be doing in front of the children and family at the show.

My point is that it is amazing the amount of hooks that are found in the bottom of the pond after the show. The trout have a very good ability of spitting it out on their own. We just gather up the hooks, and are able to reuse them again. It is really quite remarkable, and this occurs over the 4 day show.

I think the fish have a better chance of spitting it out than for us all to hope the hook dissolves. Obviously this did not occur with the fish Ken caught.

BeeGuy
01-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Full Stop!

Ken,

Was the hook barbed or unbarbed?

BeeGuy
01-22-2013, 11:33 PM
I often help the Edmonton F&G with the children's trout pond at the annual Boat & Sportsman Show. If after a child catches a trout, it swallows a hook too deep we just cut the line. By digging a hook out you often end up killing the fish, which is less than ideal for us to be doing in front of the children and family at the show.

My point is that it is amazing the amount of hooks that are found in the bottom of the pond after the show. The trout have a very good ability of spitting it out on their own. We just gather up the hooks, and are able to reuse them again. It is really quite remarkable, and this occurs over the 4 day show.

I think the fish have a better chance of spitting it out than for us all to hope the hook dissolves. Obviously this did not occur with the fish Ken caught.

That's actually really interesting

Brent_reid
01-22-2013, 11:33 PM
As Michelle Jackson would have said- Just eat it just eat it

BeeGuy
01-22-2013, 11:52 PM
As Michelle Jackson would have said- Just eat it just eat it

I thought Michael Jackson's sister was Janet...?

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 12:06 AM
Full Stop!

Ken,

Was the hook barbed or unbarbed?

It is barbed. Why?

Isopod
01-23-2013, 12:09 AM
Sheesh, I read through the whole thread and, unless I missed it somehow, not one person has mentioned that this illustrates why we should all be using barbless hooks, whether the law is grey right now or not. It's got to be easier for a fish to spit or pass a barbless hook than a barbed one, and for fish that we land and have deeply inhaled hooks, there's no question that getting the hooks out and successfully releasing the fish is about a million times easier if the hooks are barbless. A fish may pass a single barbed hook like in the photo, but what about a crankbait with two or three sets of treble hooks?

I stopped using barbs for pike well before the barbless laws, and went from releasing at least a couple pike a year with deeply hooked crankbaits, to zero in the entire time since I stopped using treble hooks. Even if you are someone who doesn't give a damn about the fish, going barbless will mean fewer lost lures. I know some people joke about not caring what happens to the fish, and some might even mean it, but think about posting crap like that since that's what gives folks like PETA fuel for the fire, and rightly so.

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 12:13 AM

That's actually really interesting

I agree.
That would be quite the thing to see.
Many many times I have brought up a well hooked fish on to the floor, wiggles twice and the hook is out.

(not talking about Beeguy or Camoderrick)
It is also amazing how much a guy can be chit on be saying we should try to show some compassion to the animals we are harvesting or just playing with.

I have said many times that I felt a tinge of remorse when killing, be it a deer, goose, duck or beautiful fish. It is one of the biggest reasons why I do not hunt big game any more, along with the fact the meat is terrible :fighting0030:
Not hard to see who has a heart in here, and who the 'tough guys' are.

BeeGuy
01-23-2013, 12:15 AM
It is barbed. Why?

hmmmm

you don't say...

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 12:17 AM
Sheesh, I read through the whole thread and, unless I missed it somehow, not one person has mentioned that this illustrates why we should all be using barbless hooks, whether the law is grey right now or not. It's got to be easier for a fish to spit or pass a barbless hook than a barbed one, and for fish that we land and have deeply inhaled hooks, there's no question that getting the hooks out and successfully releasing the fish is about a million times easier if the hooks are barbless. A fish may pass a single barbed hook like in the photo, but what about a crankbait with two or three sets of treble hooks?

I stopped using barbs for pike well before the barbless laws, and went from releasing at least a couple pike a year with deeply hooked crankbaits, to zero in the entire time since I stopped using treble hooks. Even if you are someone who doesn't give a damn about the fish, going barbless will mean fewer lost lures. I know some people joke about not caring what happens to the fish, and some might even mean it, but think about posting crap like that since that's what gives folks like PETA fuel for the fire, and rightly so.

Good points. Beeguy did bring it up though.

I feel the same, will continue using barbless, always worry about getting one in me, which coincidentally happened to my friend this summer, big barbed hook under the finger nail with 2 other hooks still in the jackfish. Had to go to Emergency to get it out :sign0176:

pickrel pat
01-23-2013, 12:21 AM
hmmmm

you don't say...

Compassion?

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 12:23 AM
Compassion?

Is he thinking the hook in the exhaust was mine? I didn't leave it that long before setting it.....

Brandonkop
01-23-2013, 12:40 AM
Well it looks like the fish was able to pass the hook very well! I am impressed. I actually think over time this fish would likely have been fine if it survived the passing of a hook like that.

I imagine it suffered little discomfort as well. The GI mucosal layer does not really have much sensory nerves. I've seen patients who have swallowed pen lids, screws, nails, batteries. They can't feel anything once it passes their throat. Also once it leaves the stomach and if less than a 5cm (if I recall correctly) they just let it pass on its own.

Considering the fishes GI system is much more simple than ours I would assume the fish was unaware of the hook passing through its bowels.

I agree with all your other sentiments about using good flourocarbon line, heavier test.

In this video you see my brother hand lining a fish after he snagged a piece of line. The fish was looking healthy pulling around 50 feet of line. I usually snag one like this or catch one 1-3 times a year with hooks in then or dragging a piece of line. All the fish have looked well.

This is a sweet trout fishing video my brother made which includes the story above.

http://youtu.be/Shc-ik2E3HQ

Brandon

pickrel pat
01-23-2013, 12:42 AM
Is he thinking the hook in the exhaust was mine? I didn't leave it that long before setting it.....

Not sure, but i believe he was implying was that you are ranting about showing compassion for critters but hypocritically using barbed hooks.... Thats what i got out of it anyway..... I could be way off in my guess though.:)

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Brandon that was awesome! Great job on the video, thank you!

BeeGuy
01-23-2013, 12:48 AM
Not sure, but i believe he was implying was that you are ranting about showing compassion for critters but hypocritically using barbed hooks.... Thats what i got out of it anyway..... I could be way off in my guess though.:)

Naw, just providing a little more evidence that a fish's head does not detonate when it comes into contact with a barbed hook.

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Naw, just providing a little more evidence that a fish's head does not detonate when it comes into contact with a barbed hook.

I am still amazed that it went through, but people have said they have seen similar circumstances.

Okotokian
01-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Fish may not scream cry and grunt like other dying and suffering animals, but I bet they feel pain.

Ken, SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I told my wife fish don't feel pain. If she thought I was torturing them with catch and release just for fun my rods would be out with the next garbage pick-up! :rolleye2:

canadiantdi
01-23-2013, 05:43 PM
What am I missing here? The fish not only survived but was just about to pass the hook all the way through it's digestive trac. So what's the fuss about?
Just say'n.
:confused:

He is worried that the fish felt some discomfort from that hook sticking out of its bum hole. Then he killed it. haha

jeffrey929
01-23-2013, 05:46 PM
He is worried that the fish felt some discomfort from that hook sticking out of its bum hole. Then he killed it. haha

This was the point i was trying to make, and I was considered to be a Troll.....

fishtank
01-23-2013, 05:48 PM
ouch....that why i don't use treble hooks :scared0018:

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 06:07 PM

I was actually looking for a willing volunteer to swallow a fish hook, let me know what it feels like would you? I know you are not stupid enough to have missed the entire point of the thread, and are just joining the rest of your kind under the bridge.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/Cat_Chew/stfu%20and%20more/Trollingequalssmallpenis.jpg

This was the point i was trying to make, and I was considered to be a Troll.....

I never saw the hook in the tailpipe until I got home. The point of the entire was not the destination, it was rhe journey the hook took, and what could be done to minimize future damage. I could not see the hook down the throat.....oh you got me again, sneaky guy.

I called you a troll because you were trolling. http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee316/summer_loving_4/trollllll.jpg

EZM
01-23-2013, 06:46 PM
I agree that Ken's picture is an eye opener for sure, but I though that fishermen as a comunity have been maintaining that fish dont feel pain since about the late seventys?

Interestingly, I read a study that had game fish stung (injected) with bee venom in the lips that were in a tank.

The fish exhibited some behaviors (like rubbing the injection point against the tank) that definitively indicated they have sensory organs.

A similar study concluded that when "poked" (which they can also feel) they are simply just to stupid to pull away. They do not have the ability to cognitively reason and/or react to pain in the same way more intelligent animals would.

Kind of interesting.

Either way .... shame on you Ken for killing the fish ..... you should be ashamed of yourself ...... (just teasing....lol)

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 06:54 PM
I took Oldman to wainwright today, and he said when he was doing fish studies, tagging etc on pike they would inject a 'thing' (forget what he called it, too long ago to be RFID tag) much the same as using a clothing tag gun, the pike would be sitting calm until the injection, then thrash around like crazy.

Animals feel pain.

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Snopes.com posted 29 June, 2005 01:26 AM *** ** ** ** ** *

I heard a fish hook will dissolve from enzymes located in the stomach of fish in a few days.

False

quote:
In fall 1999, Dettloff's study team caught 14 muskie on single-hook sucker rigs. This time, radio transmitters fixed to the fish had a battery life of at least 400 days, with the potential of going 600 days. Three of the tagged muskie died fairly quickly when released.

In spring 2000, Dettloff and his team began tracking the remaining fish. The news was not good. "By late May at least half of the tagged fish were dead," said Dettloff. "There were about four or five of them still moving around, but...by July they were all dead." Using an underwater camera, Dettloff and his team located several of the fatalities on the lake bottom. Two others washed up on shore and bears dragged them into the bush.

Anglers caught two of the tagged muskie early in 2000. A 34-incher (86 cm) was released by an angler who noticed it was tagged. "That fish looked okay, but was a little on the thin side," said Dettloff. " It ended up dying about a month and a half later." The other muskie was a 42-inch (106-cm) beauty, which Dettloff said weighed about 21 pounds (9.5 kg) when tagged in 1999. When re-caught July 4, 2000, it was emaciated. Although released, it died two weeks later. Dettloff said, "We knew (gut-hooked muskie) were dying, but we hadn't had a chance to see a live fish and observe its health. That fish was as skinny as a rail."

The deaths of those 14 muskie - 100 per cent delayed mortality - convinced him the single-hook sucker rig has no place in an ethical angler's bag of tricks
and

Note: Sucker rigs are a big hook set into a sucker fish, which is then allowed to swim. The muskie then swallows the sucker fish - and hook - whole.

quote:
Aren’t hooks supposed to dissolve to help save fish?

There is no such thing as a “dissolving” hook. “Dissolving” hooks are a marketing creation. All hooks rust and corrode in water. When hooks rust they produce toxins. It appears that it is these toxins that get fish sick, disturbing them from breeding, when that does not kill them.

--------------------
Never make fun of a man's fish, especially if it is 40 feet tall and aluminum.
Posts: 949 | From: Central California | Registered: Feb 2000 *|* IP: Logged*|*

Graffy91
01-23-2013, 07:22 PM

I heard a fish hook will dissolve from enzymes located in the stomach of fish in a few days.

False

quote:
In fall 1999, Dettloff's study team caught 14 muskie on single-hook sucker rigs. This time, radio transmitters fixed to the fish had a battery life of at least 400 days, with the potential of going 600 days. Three of the tagged muskie died fairly quickly when released.

In spring 2000, Dettloff and his team began tracking the remaining fish. The news was not good. "By late May at least half of the tagged fish were dead," said Dettloff. "There were about four or five of them still moving around, but...by July they were all dead." Using an underwater camera, Dettloff and his team located several of the fatalities on the lake bottom. Two others washed up on shore and bears dragged them into the bush.

Anglers caught two of the tagged muskie early in 2000. A 34-incher (86 cm) was released by an angler who noticed it was tagged. "That fish looked okay, but was a little on the thin side," said Dettloff. " It ended up dying about a month and a half later." The other muskie was a 42-inch (106-cm) beauty, which Dettloff said weighed about 21 pounds (9.5 kg) when tagged in 1999. When re-caught July 4, 2000, it was emaciated. Although released, it died two weeks later. Dettloff said, "We knew (gut-hooked muskie) were dying, but we hadn't had a chance to see a live fish and observe its health. That fish was as skinny as a rail."

The deaths of those 14 muskie - 100 per cent delayed mortality - convinced him the single-hook sucker rig has no place in an ethical angler's bag of tricks
and

Note: Sucker rigs are a big hook set into a sucker fish, which is then allowed to swim. The muskie then swallows the sucker fish - and hook - whole.

quote:

There is no such thing as a “dissolving” hook. “Dissolving” hooks are a marketing creation. All hooks rust and corrode in water. When hooks rust they produce toxins. It appears that it is these toxins that get fish sick, disturbing them from breeding, when that does not kill them.

--------------------

The thing is, you're going way too in-depth with this man...

Fish along with all animals feel pain. There's nothing you can do...

Fish live, and fish die. We sometimes kill fish while angling, its a risk you take, and willingly know as an avid angler.

I've seen some pretty tough pike, with ripped lips, no fins, 1 eye, the list goes on... It's the way she goes man.

Using barbless or not, you're still harming a fish. It all comes down to what you think is right as an angler, and personally, if you think its this big of a deal, give up fishing now.

Really though, fishing and hunting are things we knowingly do that put stress, and pressure on the animals.

I just personally think you're getting way too caught up in this situation and should take a step back on it.

Not trying to be rude, or a troll, or a dink about anything, but hey, if you don't like putting fish in danger, do not fish.

Hunter Trav
01-23-2013, 07:31 PM

Fish live, and fish die. We sometimes kill fish while angling, its a risk you take, and willingly know as an avid angler.

I've seen some pretty tough pike, with ripped lips, no fins, 1 eye, the list goes on... It's the way she goes man.

Using barbless or not, you're still harming a fish. It all comes down to what you think is right as an angler, and personally, if you think its this big of a deal, give up fishing now.

Really though, fishing and hunting are things we knowingly do that put stress, and pressure on the animals.

I just personally think you're getting way too caught up in this situation and should take a step back on it.

Not trying to be rude, or a troll, or a dink about anything, but hey, if you don't like putting fish in danger, do not fish.

Good answer right there...:cool:

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 07:31 PM

Thanks man, but when I fish I do it to eat them. I don't go to the mountains to enjoy the majestic beauty of the surroundings and lose myself in the glory of that first rise man, and then place a perfectly executed fly that I tied myself in the middle of the crest of the concentric circles where the head emerged man,

I throw a hook down a hole to eat trout instead of chicken that day.

And, there is something you can do, if you choose to hunt ethically.

I choose that route, more so after finding out the truth about 'dissolving hooks'.

You do what ever you like, but I don't need to be told not to fish, thank you very much.

B-rett
01-23-2013, 07:35 PM

Yeah, what comes around is all around Lahey!
(I saw your Ricky pic so I had to bust out a TPB Rickyism haha)

But I do agree with Ken, you leave a hook in, over time it rusts, does it's thing and kills the fish (providing the hook will rust) Just like us stepping on a rusty nail, same effect. However, worst case Ontario you have to cut the hook and leave it in (although I haven't had to yet luckily!)

Graffy91
01-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Yeah, what comes around is all around Lahey!
(I saw your Ricky pic so I had to bust out a TPB Rickyism haha)

But I do agree with Ken, you leave a hook in, over time it rusts, does it's thing and kills the fish (providing the hook will rust) Just like us stepping on a rusty nail, same effect. However, worst case Ontario you have to cut the hook and leave it in (although I haven't had to yet luckily!)

Its a worst-case Ontario...

Regardless of harming fish,

We all love fishing here so lets all just get along. :):sHa_shakeshout:

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 07:52 PM

I agree.

:)

jeffrey929
01-23-2013, 08:53 PM
I certainly have better things to do than "troll" ..... I just found your rant to be hypocritical due to the fish no longer being in the water... I practice both catch and keep and catch and release.... What happened regarding the hook is not always avoidable if you are using hooks, line and such... It makes no sense to chastise some unknown angler because it happened... Enjoy your fish, it was a nice fish... Congrats on your catch

moosehead7
01-23-2013, 09:02 PM
NOW WHERE ARE ALL THE MOUTHPIECES THAT SAID TO ME ON AN EARLIER THREAD SAID THAT HOOKS DISOLVE IN THE FISH WHEN I FOUND A HOOK IN THE BELLY OF A NORTHERN PIKE WHICH THE FISH WOULD NOT HAVE DIGESTED.:mad0030:

B-rett
01-23-2013, 09:03 PM
Its a worst-case Ontario...

Exxxxxxactly! It doesn't take rocket appliances to see that!

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 09:06 PM
I certainly have better things to do than "troll" ..... I just found your rant to be hypocritical due to the fish no longer being in the water... I practice both catch and keep and catch and release.... What happened regarding the hook is not always avoidable if you are using hooks, line and such... It makes no sense to chastise some unknown angler because it happened... Enjoy your fish, it was a nice fish... Congrats on your catch

Ok, so do you hunt?
The point is to ensure we take precautions regarding suffering while in the process of harvesting.
Do you sneak up on a deer, stab it with a nail file, leave it in and wait for the wound to become infected, then wait until it can no longer stand and dies, then you look for it in the field and claim the corpse? Likely not.

I stalk it, shoot it in the boilermaker if a clean shot is possible within my comfortable range, then another in the neck or head killing it very quickly if not dead already when I get to the animal.

I just pointed out what the fish went through, or in this case vise versa, and said people should use better line that does not snap when a little fish like this hits it. I would guess it was 3 lb test.

You know damn well some of the responses were 'fishing for certain responses'.

And thank you, it was a nice fish.

pickrel pat
01-23-2013, 09:06 PM
NOW WHERE ARE ALL THE MOUTHPIECES THAT SAID TO ME ON AN EARLIER THREAD SAID THAT HOOKS DISOLVE IN THE FISH WHEN I FOUND A HOOK IN THE BELLY OF A NOTYHERN PIKE WHICH THE FISH WOULD NOT HAVE DIGESTED.:mad0030:

Huh ?

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 09:07 PM

Lol omg. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 09:08 PM
NOW WHERE ARE ALL THE MOUTHPIECES THAT SAID TO ME ON AN EARLIER THREAD SAID THAT HOOKS DISOLVE IN THE FISH WHEN I FOUND A HOOK IN THE BELLY OF A NOTYHERN PIKE WHICH THE FISH WOULD NOT HAVE DIGESTED.:mad0030:

They are burning bandwidth googling dissolving fish hooks

vcmm
01-23-2013, 09:10 PM
They are burning bandwidth googling dissolving fish hooks

See posts 5 & 6:thinking-006:

jeffrey929
01-23-2013, 09:11 PM
None of my comments had intent... I was not trying to incite you... I just find that there are too many threads on here grasping for some moral high ground... It doesn't seem to be about fishing/ catching/enjoying/ sharing experiences like it really should be

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 09:12 PM
None of my comments had intent... I was not trying to incite you... I just find that there are too many threads on here grasping for some moral high ground... It doesn't seem to be about fishing/ catching/enjoying/ sharing experiences like it really should be

Sorry.

jeffrey929
01-23-2013, 09:14 PM
I am sorry as well... Never intended to offend you

moosehead7
01-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Sorry.

dont say sorry you are right everybody jumped on me and told me that a fish can dissolve hooks but REALLY do they, of course not its common sence

vcmm
01-23-2013, 09:30 PM
:party0052::test:

Graffy91
01-23-2013, 10:25 PM

Just denial and error, and supply and command.

Ken07AOVette
01-24-2013, 09:15 AM
Just denial and error, and supply and command.

Autoerect on the iPad? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Dacotensis
01-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Ken, I'm not sorry!:)

When we were kids we would go catch some rainbows at Broadmoor pond in Sherwood Park.
Some of the older teenagers got a real kick out of leaving a hook in a fish while on land and waiting for a seagull to come along and fly away with the fish.Then real in the bird.
Many times I would see a bird with a treble in it's beak.

No fishing in there anymore.
The birds have to work for their meal now. They hang out in the Wendy's parking lot.

Dakota369
01-24-2013, 04:01 PM

Is there really such a thing as too many threads on morality and ethics in regard to hunting and fishing? What is wrong with constantly bringing up ways to be more ethical/moral in these pursuits??? It's like safety as far as I am concerned........ in many workplaces people complain because of the constant safety meetings, or safety inspections etc. But really, can you ever be too safe?

:snapoutofit:

Now when people criticize others due to their own ethics even when the behavior is legal that is another kettle of fish......(like for example keeping a limit of large fish etc......)

It's through discussions like this that as a community we can grow and learn from each other. If this had not been brought up I would of continued to believe that hooks dissolve in a fish if left in............. now I know that is not the case........:(:(

Or you could just be one of those people operating under the misconception that you already know all you need to and are not interested in learning more, and if that is the case I would suggest that you not open threads such as this in the future......

:scared0018:

Scott N
01-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Lol, about 3 seconds. :sHa_sarcasticlol:
fish swallows hook? Kill and eat it.

What's the option of you're not allowed to keep the fish?

Hunter Trav
01-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Cut the line as close to the hook as you can and put it back. Hope it lives to eat another hook...

huntsfurfish
01-24-2013, 07:57 PM

False

quote:

and

quote:

--------------------

Just one study out there:)

Funny thing hook size was left out. They were single hooks alright. But the sizes were 10/0 and up. They are freakin huge!!!!! Heck 5/0 or 6/0 hooks are about the size(thickness) of a coat hanger! Most wire hooks used in AB are thin wire. My point bein not a good comparison. Yes it would take along time to dissolve a 10/0 hook. The largest musky was 48". The freakin hook was almost as big as the musky:). I dont recall whether what the hook was made from either, that size may have been salt water hooks(more corrosion resistant).

Also as wayne pointed out the recommendations in the regs. Cut line hook will dissolve.

tacklerunner
01-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Iron/steel/metal rusts. Corn does not.

pickrel pat
01-24-2013, 08:30 PM

This is true. One time i swallowed a small peice of metal and only corn came out.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Ken07AOVette
01-24-2013, 08:46 PM
This is true. One time i swallowed a small peice of metal and only corn came out.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Thank you very much. Brazilian lemonade out the nose onto the iPad.

Well played sir, well played. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Hunter Trav
01-24-2013, 08:52 PM

I don't remember eating corn...:scared0015: