PDA

View Full Version : river fishing for perch

Redfrog
01-23-2013, 11:21 AM
I asked this question in another thread and go no reply. Thought I'd try again.

In Ontario we caught lots of perch in the rivers. I never hear of anyone fishing for or catching them in Alberta rivers. In the spring there were heavy spawning runs. I guess there still are.
So anyone catching perch out of the rivers when the ice is gone?

waterninja
01-23-2013, 11:27 AM
not sure which rivers in alberta have perch in them. never heard of one caught on the nsr.

Dust1n
01-23-2013, 11:41 AM
There's a little creek by cow lake that has perch in it but nothing worth going after.

topgun
01-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Pound em in the Beaver river every June

dodgeboy1979
01-23-2013, 01:45 PM
the NSR has perch but i have never seen any caught in big numbers just the odd one here and there.

stickfloat
01-23-2013, 02:27 PM
I have caught perch while walleye fishing out in front of Norms on the Lesser Slave River, as well as below the weir in the bay where the launch is. I have not targeted perch, so cannot say what their numbers are like. The ones by the weir launch were a good size. Also "heard" there big lake whitefish there.

Another river where I have got a few, but a long time ago, was on the Wabasca between the two lakes.

fishing79
01-23-2013, 02:44 PM
I have no experience to get perch but i have experience with crew fish... I visited many areas and get strange and interesting experiences from there.But wana get perch now

retten
01-23-2013, 04:13 PM
I asked this question in another thread and go no reply. Thought I'd try again.

In Ontario we caught lots of perch in the rivers. I never hear of anyone fishing for or catching them in Alberta rivers. In the spring there were heavy spawning runs. I guess there still are.
So anyone catching perch out of the rivers when the ice is gone?

Ditto on the slave river perch, was fishing above the weir, the slow pool large minnows for wally on a rig, I caught 6 biggest 14.25".

Nice surprise, :sHa_shakeshout:

Levy
01-23-2013, 06:36 PM
Pound em in the Beaver river every June

You get any nice ones? I see some dandies around thirteen inches stuck in beaver dams in manatokan creek most springs. I can't decide if they are from manatokan or the river. I have caught my fair share of them when I siene net the river fishing for bait fish but no big ones. I have caught nice walleye, suckers, pike, and even saw a big whitefish once. Where do you fish? We're near where the rivers meet usually.

topgun
01-24-2013, 01:17 AM
Most of the perch we caught are in the little side spots. But all have been north of the bridge in the little channels always close to shore. Usually small yellow jigs.

Isopod
01-24-2013, 02:24 AM
Ontario rivers tend to have slower and more stable flow. Alberta rivers often flow swiftly and with huge changes in flow from winter low-flow to summer floods. Perch seem to prefer stable conditions, so here we find them in lakes, but in Ontario they find them in lakes and slow-flowing stable rivers.

nabilarubaiya
01-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Alberta's rivers flow towards three different bodies of water, the Arctic Ocean, the Hudson Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. Alberta is located immediately east of the continental divide, so no rivers from Alberta reach the Pacific Ocean.