PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new binoculars

Crossfire
01-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Hey im looking for new binoculars and with all the new stuff out nowadays im looking for some people with experience with them! I will mainly be using them for hunting and primarily shed hunting so something with a crisp picture to hopefully pick out some tines laying on the ground! My budget would be around 250$ ive been looking into a few pairs like Vortex Diamondback and redfield rebel but am open to suggestions:) I also looked at the Vortex Crossfire which i can get for around 100 bucks shipped which seems pretty good. 8x or 10x is another question Thanks Crossfire

Scott N
01-23-2013, 01:19 PM
As weird as it may sound, check out some of the bird watching chat boards. Those bunny huggers know their glass.

Holy Grounds Coffee Shop
01-23-2013, 02:21 PM
I currently have a pair of the Vortex Diamondbacks and love them. Very clear and compact and RUGGED. Can't go wrong with them.

KN12313
01-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Spend good money on quality bino's, you won't regret it. My first set of bino's were $100.00 Bushnell's (30 yrs ago). I now have Vortex Vipers HD paid $695.00. They are as good as or better than my father's 30 year old Ziess.

mhd
01-23-2013, 02:39 PM
I currently have a pair of the Vortex Diamondbacks and love them. Very clear and compact and RUGGED. Can't go wrong with them.

X2

Big Lou
01-23-2013, 03:00 PM
My advice is to just bite the bullet once and get yourself Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss. You absolutely will not regret it. I do realize that they cost a lot. Much more than you're looking to spend. But if you look at it over a 15 or 20 year span of ownership which is not a crazy time period to expect usage out of then the cost really isn't that bad for the quality of product you are getting. Took me 16 years to talk myself into it but worth every penny for my EL's.

Mickey
01-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Check out Zen Rays. Big in the bird watching community.

I have the 10x43s.

Excellent for the price you pay.

Got mine for under $500.

Stinky Coyote
01-23-2013, 03:59 PM
i 2nd any comments regarding saving for the best and doing it right first time but if thats not doable i thought the nikon monarchs were highly regarded in the more budget oriented class?

Bound2Fish
01-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Have a look at scorpion optics too. They make a pretty decent pair of binos. They actually seem to be better built than the bushnell elites. I tried a pair and my buddy liked them so much he bought a pair for himself retiring his bushnells.

Maxwell78
01-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Check out Zen Rays. Big in the bird watching community.

I have the 10x43s.

Excellent for the price you pay.

Got mine for under $500.

have to agree with the zen rays

newguy
01-23-2013, 05:23 PM
x a few on the vortex diamondbacks. i punish my equipment and those binos held up really well. the are currently being shipped back to me after having some warranty work done to them. i've had a few others and the quality of glass, for the price, is excellent.

ceedub
01-23-2013, 07:06 PM
I've tried all kinds and brands of binoculars except the very "high end" ones. In the budget range you're looking at don't count out the Bushnell "Bone Collector" series. I bought a pair for my wife to look out the kitchen window here on the farm and they put most of mine to shame, and I paid 3 or 4 times as much.

-Craig

mudbug
01-23-2013, 07:13 PM
I really like the Bushnell H2O one I have, I'll see if I can find the link for them. They're very reasonably priced and they're great up close and distance viewing :)

http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars/bird-watching-binoculars/bushnell8x42waterprooffogproofroofprismbinoculars. cfm

Salavee
01-23-2013, 07:15 PM
As weird as it may sound, check out some of the bird watching chat boards. Those bunny huggers know their glass.

x2 ..... Have a look at Zen-Ray and Google up some reviews.

pikergolf
01-23-2013, 07:18 PM
have to agree with the zen rays

Very happy with my Zen Rays.

baptiste_moose
01-23-2013, 08:37 PM
My advice is to just bite the bullet once and get yourself Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss. You absolutely will not regret it. I do realize that they cost a lot. Much more than you're looking to spend. But if you look at it over a 15 or 20 year span of ownership which is not a crazy time period to expect usage out of then the cost really isn't that bad for the quality of product you are getting. Took me 16 years to talk myself into it but worth every penny for my EL's.

Thats prob his hunting budget for the year. It's close to mine!

Back Country Hunter
01-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Bought my son a pair of Minox 10x42 binoculars from cameralandny.com last fall and I am quite impressed with the quality. They will fit within your budget as well.

Borntohuntforcedtowork
01-23-2013, 09:21 PM
I had a pair of Leupold 10X50 Green ring and they were awesome I paid around 500 for them then about 4 years after I bought them I dropped them on the cement in the basement and cracked the plastic that holds the glass in the end and I tried to use them after and water had got in there so I decided to send them to the factory to get them fixed of course by the time I realized the problem I had it was opening day of bowhunting I sent them away thinking it would take six months for them to return I was wrong 13 days later I had a new pair of binos in the mail and they actually replaced them with 12X50 instead of the 10X50s I had put a note in the box saying I just wanted them fixed and would be willing to pay for the repairs Instead they just sent me new ones Amazing warranty will never buy anything else ever again!!!!

Bigmoosehunter
01-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Hey im looking for new binoculars and with all the new stuff out nowadays im looking for some people with experience with them! I will mainly be using them for hunting and primarily shed hunting so something with a crisp picture to hopefully pick out some tines laying on the ground! My budget would be around 250$ ive been looking into a few pairs like Vortex Diamondback and redfield rebel but am open to suggestions:) I also looked at the Vortex Crossfire which i can get for around 100 bucks shipped which seems pretty good. 8x or 10x is another question Thanks Crossfire

I would recommend the vortex diamondback 8x42. They sell for about 300.00, really nice set of binoculars

Crossfire
01-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Thanks for all the replys i now have more to look into i am also wondering what size would be best ive used 10x in the past but i know a lot of people prefer 8x. should i be looking at a 8x-50mm or go with the 42mm lens

Crossfire
01-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Well i made a trip to wholesale sports to look at all the pairs in my budget and i found the vortex diamondbacks were amazing for 'my eyes' i just am wondering where i would find them for the best price in edmonton

Zuludog
01-28-2013, 03:24 PM

x3

Zuludog
01-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Well i made a trip to wholesale sports to look at all the pairs in my budget and i found the vortex diamondbacks were amazing for 'my eyes' i just am wondering where i would find them for the best price in edmonton

Natures corner on 51 ave. I buy all my optics there.

Sitting Bull
01-28-2013, 05:29 PM
X2 I buy all mine there as well. I got them to bring in the first rifle scope for me several years ago. I paid $189.00 for my Diamond back bino's and $200.00 for my Diamondback scope. No complaints at all.

coyotekiller
01-28-2013, 06:41 PM
I have some leupolds and I love them

ctf80
01-29-2013, 11:37 AM
check out the bushnell legend ultra HD 10x42 binos.... retail for around $300. great optics and with new money back guarantee bushnell offers you cant go wrong. keep receipt and if you dont like them bushnell will buy them back!!!!

Crossfire
01-29-2013, 11:41 AM
i did check out the hd's they had a great picture but the diamondbacks just felt better for me atleast

AndersonSkiTeam
01-29-2013, 11:46 AM
I went with the Zen Rays and they are great. Same thing of bird watchers saying they were great. My opinion is similar price to the Vortex but better glass.

Mojoduckhunter
01-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Have a look at scorpion optics too. They make a pretty decent pair of binos. They actually seem to be better built than the bushnell elites. I tried a pair and my buddy liked them so much he bought a pair for himself retiring his bushnells.

X2 or minox they make a good bino

Puma
01-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Not a bad quality glass, but if you have troubles their warrantee service is brutal.
Never ever, ever again !
They would not repair or replace, but tried to upsell me on a more expensive pair. Why would I give you more money when you wont fix the first pair?

Crossfire
02-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Well I ended up with some 10x42 vortex diamondbacks and so far they are very clear and I am very happy thanks for all the advice!!