PDA

View Full Version : What to do if you find a dead game animal on your property?

tool
01-23-2013, 06:27 PM
I don't know if this is the right section to post this in but I recently found a dead white tail doe on my property between a stack of straw and a corral fence.

I have no idea how she got there or what happened to her, I believe it may be a yearling.

I have to move a lot of small square bales by hand to get her out and dispose of her because of where she is at.

But I am wondering what the correct and legal way to dispose of something like this would be?

Should conservation officer be notified?

hillbillyreefer
01-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Let the coyotes and other scavengers clean it up. Wild animals die every day. It happens. Let the cycle continue.

mudbug
01-23-2013, 07:25 PM
You could phone it in if you are worried about what to do but just tell them you put it out for the scavengers and they'll be fine with that I'm sure.

Walleyes
01-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Drag it in the corner someplace and use it for coyote bait..

tool
01-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Yes that's exactly what happens.

I was more so wondering if you have any legal obligation to report it?

Was bizzare and a bit startling to find it in my yard amongst my buildings.

Also, the zoonotic implications of having wild animals die amongst your cattle is a little unsettling.

hillbillyreefer
01-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Yes that's exactly what happens.

I was more so wondering if you have any legal obligation to report it?

Was bizzare and a bit startling to find it in my yard amongst my buildings.

Also, the zoonotic implications of having wild animals die amongst your cattle is a little unsettling.

I don't think there is any obligation to report it. If there was the geese police would never get anything else done but paperwork. It is always unsettling to find dead big game in your yard. Two winters ago I had a wt doe killed by coyotes in my front yard. You could see where the chased her across an open field attacking her and dragging her down. I assume she was heading into my yard for sanctuary.

Wild animals die amongst your cattle everyday. Mice, gophers, birds, bugs, deer, etc etc. I wouldn't worry about it.

KI-UTE
01-24-2013, 08:15 AM
No, do not phone them.

Some are good, some are okay, some are bad, some are nasty, and some are downright stupid.

Report the incident only if you are prepared to be accused of poaching the animal and you have time to explain fully to the officer that you had absolutely nothing to do with the animals death and you are able to explain to him that wild animals die of natural causes from time to time.

Speckle55
01-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Tool... do you live in a CWD zone .. if you do then they have tested and found animals that carried CWD in found dead wildlife and it would be prudent to give them a call as you have the right to know whats killing your animals on your property .. it may be a cougar and if you have dogs /cats /horses they would be on the cougars menu.. as in all cases it may be a bit of a hassle to find out but it worth it in the end .. imo

David:)

ps i even have sent in fish to U of A through my CO and got back reports as to the cause or disease that they have.. hope this helps ease your mind

Big Daddy Badger
01-25-2013, 01:12 AM
I don't know if this is the right section to post this in but I recently found a dead white tail doe on my property between a stack of straw and a corral fence.

I have no idea how she got there or what happened to her, I believe it may be a yearling.

I have to move a lot of small square bales by hand to get her out and dispose of her because of where she is at.

But I am wondering what the correct and legal way to dispose of something like this would be?

Should conservation officer be notified?

Hope the neighbours didn't hear the shot...

I'd call the fish cops to confirm but... they'll probably tell ya to drag it off and let it go back to nature.

Pincherguy
01-25-2013, 01:42 AM
Hope the neighbours didn't hear the shot...

I'd call the fish cops to confirm but... they'll probably tell ya to drag it off and let it go back to nature.

Nuff said!
PG