PDA

View Full Version : Think fish are stupid and don't feel pain?

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Watch this.
http://video.foxnews.com/v/2113006159001/?playlist_id=1821663211001

Yes, I know it's a mammal....:rolleye2:

Gust
01-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Cant open the link,,, but I think it is ridiculous that fish feel no pain,, they have endorphins too and that makes a big part of the fight while they intend to flight,, also the odd'ness of being pulled against their will. Was talking about this today with my dad.

EZM
01-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Dolphins, as you mentioned are very smart animals ( and of course mammals).

Fish, however stupid, do, in fact, have pain receptors.

I mentioned on a few other threads a study where a group of game fish in a tank, were injected in the mouth or lip with bee venom. The fish exhibited behaviors to indicate they were stressed. The fish were rubbing their lips against the sides of the tank.

Interestingly a smarter animal, like a mammal will pull away when poked, stung or pinched. A fish seems to have little reaction, or ability to cognitively avoid a pain stimuli. Basically they are too stupid to pull away from a sharp object but do indeed exhibit behavior confirming discomfort.

A very interesting study actually.

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Cant open the link,,, but I think it is ridiculous that fish feel no pain,, they have endorphins too and that makes a big part of the fight while they intend to flight,, also the odd'ness of being pulled against their will. Was talking about this today with my dad.

Oh you have to watch the video, and listen, it is absolutely incredible. Wild animals seeking human assistance.

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Dolphins, as you mentioned are very smart animals ( and of course mammals).

Fish, however stupid, do, in fact, have pain receptors.

I mentioned on a few other threads a study where a group of game fish in a tank, were injected in the mouth or lip with bee venom. The fish exhibited behaviors to indicate they were stressed. The fish were rubbing their lips against the sides of the tank.

Interestingly a smarter animal, like a mammal will pull away when poked, stung or pinched. A fish seems to have little reaction, or ability to cognitively avoid a pain stimuli. Basically they are too stupid to pull away from a sharp object but do indeed exhibit behavior confirming discomfort.

A very interesting study actually.

The bigger fish we go for are 'educated' I believe, they will test the hook several times before committing. Bonk, touch, brush, nibble, when they recoil it is almost like they remember something ad happening. The small ones hit it like ABB with the Banhammer! :)

tacklerunner
01-23-2013, 10:59 PM
Had many hooks imbedded in myself over the years... mostly barbed. Only one self induced. Been to emergency, cut them out myself, had others yank them out. Sure it's a bit uncomfortable but never had my feelings hurt by it.

Hasn't stopped me from fishing in lieu of the "inherent" risks. Don't think the fish should stress about it. I don't. Don't think anglers should stress about it either.

I'd rather get hooked and released with some temporary pain than bonked.

Think of guys like Geezle who put holes through their skin voluntarily.

Just telling it like it is. :scared0018:

Runnyd
01-23-2013, 11:11 PM
Wow. That's pretty amazing.

Ken07AOVette
01-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Had many hooks imbedded in myself over the years... mostly barbed.

methinks you are doing something wrong.

I guess I could say I have been fishing for 40+ years, up to 3 too many in the boat when I was little, yet never a single hook in me.

Or anyone I know....

am I not trying hard enough? :sHa_shakeshout:

heehee j/k

seriously though, did you watch the video?

tacklerunner
01-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Yeah. Good story. Cool video. I only caught myself once. Learning to toss big streamers for big bows and bullies. But my buddies aren't so smart. BC guys. Go figure. Can't tell you how many 1 oz bucktails I had flying toward me I ducked and avoided. Not all but most. Might explain my permanent post concussion syndrome.

About 40 yrs experience sounds about right for me too.

Funny story.... not trying to derail your point(s) but think some topics got too serious. Was fishing my river back home long time ago with my childhood friends who I still call my brothers. One hooked me through my hat and hair (at the time) on the backcast. 2 of the 3 barbed panther martin treble points embedded in my skull. They all tried everything to get them out. No luck. As a boy thinking he was a man then couldn't ever show pain, I had to walk 2 miles downstream with my tail between my legs to my bicycle to ride home. Worried about what Mom was going to say when I told her she had to drive me to the nearest hospital 30 miles away I looked up. As I was riding my bike home I met up with a chip truck on the road that was travelling at excessive speed and poof... the wind gust blew my hat off. Went to pick up my hat out of the ditch and realized I was set free. :sHa_shakeshout: Turned around and went back fishing with the boys.

Moral of the story:

Wish I was as smart as a dolphin. I shoulda just jumped in the water and swam looked for a diver to help me.
OR maybe I shoulda stood another 5 feet away from my buddy on the shore when fishing.:sign0161:

nabilarubaiya
01-24-2013, 06:55 AM
Fish feels pain but they are stupid enough so that it can be caught.

hydrofish01
01-24-2013, 07:31 AM
That vieo is pretty amazing!

Pincherguy
01-24-2013, 07:54 AM
nice vidio Ken, they are amazing critters, very likeley they are smarter than some of the humans we are aquainted with. Dont take long to figure out who they are.
PG

Speckle55
01-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Smart fish (mammal) in video..enjoyed thanks for sharing

even the Lake Whitefish i catch will sometimes come off when trying to catch and then come back later or next week and will not take hook again so i have to move or change hooks ..as i watch them they will open mouth and flexing lips saying to themselfs that hurt last time and swim right beside while looking up at you.. then you change hooks and they will come in and hit it.. some fish/mammals/humans/birds are very smart and most feel some type of pain/feeling imo

David:)

ganderblaster
01-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Must not be to much pain a few years ago my dad had a pike break off and take his hook. Five minutes later I caught the same pike and hot my dads hook back to him. My point is a hook in the pikes mouth sure didn't hurt his appetite!

waterhawk
01-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Ken: This is a very cool video. Thanks for posting it. It would have been a lifetime highlight to have been on that dive.

Jayhad
01-24-2013, 08:31 AM
I don't think fish are stupid, relatively, they out smart anglers every day....
Do they feel pain?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2261424/Anglers-finally-hook-scientists-settle-age-old-debate-fish-feel-pain.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

KegRiver
01-24-2013, 08:47 AM
Wow! That is fascinating!

I have heard of things similar to this but never witnessed it myself.

I think many people underestimate not only the intelligence of fish, but of every living thing, including other people.

I can't count the number of times I've been talked down to by people who made it clear they thought they were smarter then me.

I do know that fish can learn. What else they are capable of, intelligence wise, I don't know but I expect it's far more then most people would believe.

EZM
01-24-2013, 09:07 AM
I don't think fish are stupid, relatively, they out smart anglers every day....
Do they feel pain?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2261424/Anglers-finally-hook-scientists-settle-age-old-debate-fish-feel-pain.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Here is the same study (bee stings and acetic acid) on fish with a different conclusion indicating trout and carp do, indeed, feel pain ......

http://www.davidvanalstyne.com/pg-dofishfeelpain.html

This was not the original study I looked at and i can't seem to find it. The original one I looked at it was more of a scientific paper and less of a "news or opinion" article like these two exhibits.

ogre
01-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Smart fish (mammal) in video..enjoyed thanks for sharing

even the Lake Whitefish i catch will sometimes come off when trying to catch and then come back later or next week and will not take hook again so i have to move or change hooks ..as i watch them they will open mouth and flexing lips saying to themselfs that hurt last time and swim right beside while looking up at you.. then you change hooks and they will come in and hit it.. some fish/mammals/humans/birds are very smart and most feel some type of pain/feeling imo

David:)

Some whites out at Gull and Sylvan might even have winked at me as they swam pass the hole as if to say "good one, but not today!"

huntsfurfish
01-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Ive caught the same fish 3 times in one evening on the same jig/powerbait(oldman river). Have caught the same fish 2 times with the same bait multiple times over the last 50+ years of fishing. Its not that uncommon. Smart fish? Depends on if you compare them to the fishermen on this board(then they are brilliant):);):sHa_sarcasticlol:

Walleyedude
01-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Ive caught the same fish 3 times in one evening on the same jig/powerbait(oldman river). Have caught the same fish 2 times with the same bait multiple times over the last 50+ years of fishing. Its not that uncommon. Smart fish?

X2.

I could give a lot of examples of catching the same fish repeatedly. Not only that, but how many countless times have you had a bite, or even had a fish on, lost it, and then had it come back and take the hook again. This happens all the time when trolling cranks or spinners, and even when jigging.

Do fish feel pain? Maybe, maybe not, but anthropomorhizing fish and relating it to our perception of pain is far fetched in my opinion.

As for posting a video of a dolphin and suggesting that somehow relates to the intelligence or ability to sense pain of a walleye, well, let's just say it's a weeeeee bit of a stretch.

ATF
01-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Maybe they don't feel pain in the sense that we do. Trying to eat a spiny fish that's thrashing around would be an ordeal for us but some fish seem to do that every day. Maybe their nerves behave differently.