PDA

View Full Version : Cold lake walleye

Kgz
01-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Has anyone had any luck catching walleye in Cold Lake? i've fished all over the lake, summer and winter and have yet to see one. Maybe next week.

Walleyes
01-24-2013, 09:39 AM
You and me both.. Spent quite some time trying to find them the last 2 summesr with no luck. But I'll find them I know they are in there. Its my belief they are held up in small pockets. There are some mid lake structures I am going to check this summer,, we will see. The locasl all steered me towards the river and last summer I tryed it right through the season and no luck,, oh the odd small little bugger. But that creek is nothg but a slew with 5' of water in it in the deep holes,, no walleye hangs in there all day in the heat.

The darn lakers are so thick in there i beleive they eat most everything else in the lake. I think a guy has to fish deep during the day and come in shallow at night.. I'll find them its just a matter of time.

Safety D
01-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Go to Marie if you want eyes !!!!!

dodgeboy1979
01-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Hilda lake also has nice walters

GTZ
01-24-2013, 12:11 PM
I tried looking for eyes last week on the west side of French Bay...only seen pike :(

Walleyes
01-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Thx guys but thats not the point to find them in other lakes.. I know Marie has them, and Hilda so does Siebert, Pinehurst, Wolf so on and so on.. The point is its a challenge and they are in there,, its a matter of figuring them out..

Levy
01-24-2013, 06:45 PM
I have seen many monsterous walleye swim right past my hooks in cold lake. Unless your fishing the martineau delta or know some special spots its going to be tough to get one. Even the pike can be hard to locate but boy are they big.

fluxcore
01-24-2013, 07:03 PM
I found them last summer and they were thick, 3 double headers lol posted lots of pics. I searched and searched and found many drop offs in the 14' to 20' mark but only one with a crap load of sonar hits and visuals on the down imaging. That's all it took patience, luck and good electronics, wow were they good eating at the campsite, we had battered walleye a few nights and lots to bring home with us.

Kgz
01-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Congrats on finding them, any big ones?

fluxcore
01-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Congrats on finding them, any big ones?

Not really ? And everyone I mentioned to I was targeting walleye told me if I find them they would be HUGE. I'd say a 4 to 6lb average which is nice but no monsters. Even though i was after eaters it would have been great to hook into a big one. I'm heading back the same week in July so it should be interesting to see if their still there

Kgz
01-26-2013, 06:29 PM
I'm heading up Monday to spend a few days on the ice. I found some good looking structure last summer, no fish on it then, maybe they're stacked up now.

EZM
01-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Interesting discussion. I think I'd try a big lake technique like they use out east on the big lakes. With a lake that big, and all the forage available, my guess is they are suspended targets and trolling is your best bet in open water.

Who knows - just a thought.

rasbok
01-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Interesting discussion. I think I'd try a big lake technique like they use out east on the big lakes. With a lake that big, and all the forage available, my guess is they are suspended targets and trolling is your best bet in open water.

Who knows - just a thought.

Totally agree. Just need a 621 ranger , and some good electronics ( a guy can dream)

EZM
01-26-2013, 07:37 PM
I can see it now - planers out 40' on a deep diving stick bait and riggers down 30' back 30' over-sized homemade walleye delights ....... tipped with a treat.

I'd really like to try something like that on a lake that size.

And yes, a Ranger 621, would be Chuck Norris cool.

208prov
01-26-2013, 07:50 PM
I'm gonna try that this july, Just gotta get the down riggers, camping there for 2 weeks, everynight ill be out if its calm enough ill be out, Gonna search for suspended eyes,

Walleyes
01-27-2013, 07:31 AM
I can see it now - planers out 40' on a deep diving stick bait and riggers down 30' back 30' over-sized homemade walleye delights ....... tipped with a treat.

I'd really like to try something like that on a lake that size.

And yes, a Ranger 621, would be Chuck Norris cool.

I had the same thought pattern after a while and tryed this more than once in a variety of spots.. The 5# lakers keep you busy all day lol. Its definetly not boring but its a full time job taking little lakers off all day. Not saying it shouldn't work but just to many lakers to sort through. Now if a guy could find a school of them and where they come up to forage in the evening,, yes I could see it working,, just haven't located that school yet.. And as far as using your electronics,, those things are lit up all day,, between the lakers, whites, cisco its a busy screen no matter where you travel.