PDA

View Full Version : Going ice fishing for first time - Safety Questions ??

TheBatman
01-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Hi,

I am heading out to do some ice fishing for the first time. Combine we have tents, power augers, tackle and gear.

What kind of safety precautions should be taken?

How close can you drill holes together? We have a hand full of people going and would like to fish somewhat close to each other (ice is 11" thick)

What kind of safety equipment should be brought? Rope? PFD?

Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated

Thanks

DiabeticKripple
01-24-2013, 10:40 AM
At this time of year it is highly unlikely to fall through the ice when walking. But it could happen.

I would bring a rope. Holes can be drilled as close as you want really.

Just use your brain and you'll be okay. Don't walk over pressure ridges or large cracks

chriscosta
01-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Dont step in any holes and dont stick your hand in the hole to grab a. Pike incase the hook gets into your hand while still stuck to a pike under the ice ( idk its possible he did say hes never been out before) and dont drive fast on the ice or crowd other people. Dress warm too and dont get yoir feer wet

Walleye101
01-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Stay away from beaver dams. The ice is thin around them.

kevinhits
01-24-2013, 12:07 PM
With ice being 11' thick, I would think of walking on

MrDave
01-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Don't pull up beside somebody you don't know. Give a fellow lots of space. We are friendly but give us room. Don't need to hear your kids screaming.
Keep your holes a meter or so apart, minimum. Sometimes a fish will run with the hook and can tangle in other lines.
Takes a first aid kit, as always. People seem to end up bleeding when ice fishing.
Plan on where you have bathrooms. Lots of people so there will be lots of yellow snow.
As for driving on ice, doors unlocked, seatbelt off, and tie it easy. Waves form in front of a traveling vehicle.

Main rule: make sure the youngsters have fun even if the fish aren't biting.

01-24-2013, 12:28 PM
dont go out on the ice with sweaty feet this can make your day end in a hurry cold feet suck , i always change my socks and boots right before i hit the ice , cause when I drive to a lake my feet sweat

Bigwoodsman
01-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Make sure to wear your life jackets!

BW

jts1
01-24-2013, 01:24 PM

BW

:confused:

fishtank
01-24-2013, 01:49 PM
bring extra set of cloths and extra socks

TheBatman
01-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks for all the replys and tips!!

EDMfishing
01-24-2013, 02:15 PM
dont drive on if its 11 inch ice... better safe than sorry...

as some1 else said, holes can be put as close as you like but if you catch a decent fish it could wrap up in alot of lines if they are very close...

spreading your holes out in different depths to start probly a good idea to find the fish.... if one guy is having all the action then i would concentrate around that depth / area.. if action stops, spread back out

TheBatman
01-24-2013, 03:17 PM
At the end of the day, what about marking your fishing holes? so the next party out doesn’t step in open water. How fast do the ice holes freeze over?

Bigwoodsman
01-24-2013, 03:37 PM

BW

:confused:

:sHa_sarcasticlol::sign0161:

BW

FishingFrenzy
01-24-2013, 04:20 PM
At the end of the day, what about marking your fishing holes? so the next party out doesn’t step in open water. How fast do the ice holes freeze over?

Shovel a patch around your hole so that A. you don't get snow in your hole and B. your holes are clearly visible. As long as your only drilling a 6-10" hole, thats all thats needed. Anything bigger should be marked with a tree branch, stuck upright into the slush around your hole.

midgetwaiter
01-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Get a set of these:
http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=24572

Wear them around your neck, if you need then you will need them fast.

6tmile
01-24-2013, 06:49 PM
After a day of succesful ice fishing, when you get home dont cook it all at once. I caught twenty pounds of ice and when the wife fried it she almost drowned. Lol. Be safe and good luck.

The Fisherman Guy
01-24-2013, 07:11 PM
I generally don't drive my truck on if the ice isn't at least 18 inches thick.

Good ice is clear, hard and thick. Bad ice is soft, opaque, and watery.

The ice is very strong. Hearing loud cracks is normal. It's even fun when a big one opens up between your legs and through your hole while you're looking at it.

You can drill holes close together, but it can get crowded in a hurry. Having lots of room to move and spread out is more fun for everyone, and respectful to other people already there doing the same thing.

Have fun, but be safe. Wrap yourself up in case you get in too deep. At least then you'll know you're protected going in.

Have fun

New Hunter Okotoks
01-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Don't wear any cotton. If you get sweaty feet, put antipersperent on them to reduce the sweating.

Bring wrap around cleats for your boots with you. The ice will be very slippery if there is no snow on the ice. A person running for a biting fish can slip while running and hit the back of their head on the ice. I know because I did it and had a ripping headache for the remainder of the day.

Make sure at least 1 of the vehicles has a good recovery strap and booster cables in it.

This is more of a tip..... bring a roll of paper towels with you. They are excellent for drying your hands after dealing with fish or after baiting. They are tougher than Kleenex for runny noses and are easily discarded in the bottom of a bin or sled.

Make sure you bring enough propane for the heater.

Good Luck, I hope you guys have an excellent trip out ice fishing.

Mike Oxbig
01-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Take your seatbelt off when you get on the ice. In the unlikely event your vehicle breaks through you are going to want to get out in a hurry.

Speckle55
01-24-2013, 10:43 PM
here is a read or two:reading:

David:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_fishing

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/ce/eek/nature/icefish.htm