PDA

View Full Version : Mustus Lakes in Meadow Lake provincial park

Cowtown guy
01-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Wondering if anyone has any info on 2nd or 3rd Mustus Lakes.
We are planning a trip this spring on the 1st week of June. It looks as if they are decent sized lakes on Google earth.
Are there good sized fish in them? Walleye as well as Pike? Are the lakes OK for a bigger boat? No hidden humps or dangerous areas?
Thanks for any help. Feel free to PM if you want

EZM
01-24-2013, 01:29 PM
A group of us guys does a trip or two every year out to Meadow PP.

Talking to a few locals they have directed us to other lakes instead saying it wasn't that great. A couple guys next to us who went out to the first and second lakes were not that happy with it either. They fished there 2 days of thier trip.

We have always had the best luck on Pierce/Lapine (Lakers and Pike), Waterhen (Walleye and Pike), Flotten (Pike), Jeaneete (Smaller Walleyes). Those seem to be the better lakes out there.

The cool thing about Meadow Lakes PP is you can stay in one place and fish a different lake (or two) every day with a very short drive.

If one lake sucks that day, go the next one 10 miles down the road.

We had a blast catching hundreds of hammer handles at Rusty. Absolutely nothing over 3lbs but man .... it was busy .....lol.

Safety D
01-24-2013, 01:33 PM
Its full of hammer handles

dodgeboy1979
01-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Pierce, Lac Des Isles, and waterhen would be my choices to go to.

baptiste_moose
01-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Go through the narrows from Second to third and 300 M from the opening is an underwater island. 35 all around and it comes up to 17. That is the only place I have caught walleye in that lake. Go there once in the sumer and once in the winter. The prov. park that is! Lac de isles, Rusty even petahaegun ( ??? ) if you have a sled are all better choices. Mistohay is a smash but you gotta know the lake! I believe Pierce has good LKTR.

AK47
01-24-2013, 03:10 PM
I fished both 2d and 3 Mustus 2 years ago few times. Caught 13lb pike out of 3d and numerous smaller ones. Great lake, very quiet as basicaly only access to it is through small canal connecting the 2d and 3d . Local people where saying that it is one of the best lakes for valleye but I had no luck for them there...Pike, pike and more pike, maybe did not know the spots or had wrong idea where to look for them. 2d one is much smaller and did not seem to be as interesting fishing wise - small pike everywhere. You should not have problems getting to 3d with big boat unless water is really low.
Agree about Rusty - super fun lake to fish with kids if you want non stop small pike action. Occasional perch and valleye there as well.
All in all that park is a heaven for anglers. So many lakes in small area, just try new one every day or even few a day if you get borred.

hacman
01-24-2013, 03:20 PM
A bunch of us stayed at some cabins at Lac des Illes for May long last year. It was cool, wet, and windy so this lake had some pretty big waves and water temp were pretty low. We ended up driving down the road and trying Mustas 2 & 3. Nothing big but steady action for two days and found the water temps a bit warmer in these lakes. Also tried Mistohey and it wasn't bad, but still only caught small pike. Saw a few walleye come in on other boats at the dock there but didn't catch any ourselves. Lots of lakes in the area to choose from.

Cowtown guy
01-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks fellas.

Buck9
01-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Don't know any locals that fish 2nd Mustus they all fish third, and B.M. Is right the best spot is that underwater hump. Will need fish finder to find it in early June. Waterhen would be a good bet by the waterhen river inlet south east shore. Also a few holes in the river if windy. Mistohay is good that time of year would be my choice for walleye, slip bobber and leech or very slow troll with spinners and worm along southwest side 12-17' of water. Good luck as others said lots of lakes to try. All good

Cowtown guy
01-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Don't know any locals that fish 2nd Mustus they all fish third, and B.M. Is right the best spot is that underwater hump. Will need fish finder to find it in early June. Waterhen would be a good bet by the waterhen river inlet south east shore. Also a few holes in the river if windy. Mistohay is good that time of year would be my choice for walleye, slip bobber and leech or very slow troll with spinners and worm along southwest side 12-17' of water. Good luck as others said lots of lakes to try. All good

I have heard that Mistohay may be dangerous to props. Any truth to that?

208prov
01-25-2013, 01:03 PM
I have heard that Mistohay may be dangerous to props. Any truth to that?

no fished it my whole life and never hit anything, A few dead heads though