PDA

View Full Version : Alpine lakes-spring melt

Flieguy
01-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Hi all! I am planning 10 hike in lakes next summer, and was wondering which of them would be the first ones to melt enough to fish.... all are similar elevation:

Tombstone
Rawson
Maude
Birdwood
Rummel
Loomis
Headwall
Invincible
Burns
Lake of the Horns

I work full time so I'm going to need to go every weekend as soon as the ice is off if I want to hit every one. Thanks!

Okotokian
01-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Hi all! I am planning 10 hike in lakes next summer, and was wondering which of them would be the first ones to melt enough to fish.... all are similar elevation:

Tombstone
Rawson
Maude
Birdwood
Rummel
Loomis
Headwall
Invincible
Burns
Lake of the Horns

I work full time so I'm going to need to go every weekend as soon as the ice is off if I want to hit every one. Thanks!

I did Loomis summer before last, in July. Ice wasn't half off the lake yet. Schedule that one for August. Also remember you have to get across the Highwood. later the better. I've only ever fished Tombstone in early September so can't say. Rawson should not be a problem. Love hiking to those lakes for fishing though. Loomis was a bit of a grunt at the end.

Heavy K
01-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Pretty hard to tell as lot's of factors might come into play though, such as regional snowpack conditions and spring avy cycles. You can keep track of those using the Alberta Riverbasins website. You'll just have to wait and see once highcountry run-off kicks in.

All things aside, my bet would be on Invincible, as it's primarily a southerly exposure for the lake itself and for the approach. It's also off the continental divide proper. You know how to ride a mountain bike?

hk

harris
07-23-2014, 09:23 PM
Hey Flieguy,
I was hoping for some insights on any of these lakes this year. I have been to Rawson this year, Birdwood and Rummel two years ago, Loomis and Tombstone three years ago, and Headwall about 4 years ago. I want to try and hit one of these before the end of the month.
Harris