PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing Line

B_Type13X2
01-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Is it actually necessary to buy specialized Ice Fishing line or can I use some of my Braided line I used during the soft water season? I ask because I bought some braided ice fishing line and it doesn't really seem to be different at all from the other stuff.

AdAMxr
01-24-2013, 02:56 PM
I've never noticed a difference, both kinds catch fish and ice up. I would concentrate more on color and lb rating than ice specific.

Winch101
01-24-2013, 02:56 PM
I like Gudebrod Dacron Teflon coated braid....75 lb. for pike

Black on tip ups.......I may be wrong but isn't all that
Small diameter for lb. test .

Hand lining big fish I don't like thin line. ,hard on the hands

Just use reg mono on walleye -perch set up....

BeeGuy
01-24-2013, 07:38 PM
I use 10lb power pro on my reels with various test mono leaders. 4-50lb.

Tip-ups I have 30lb braid with various mono leaders

New Hunter Okotoks
01-24-2013, 07:47 PM
A friend of mine purchased some specialized ice fishing line. It's blue and is the worst line I have ever seen. It never straightened out even though he uses some king of awkward looking rig that reminds me of a Christmas Tree and weighs about 6 oz.

I use either heavy braid or dacron. That braid line will burn right through skin and muscle directly to the bone when a big pike takes a run. It has no give in it whatsover but I still like that I can put a lot of it on a tipup with a small spool.

tacklerunner
01-24-2013, 08:04 PM
I just put different reels on different ice rods depending on what I'm targeting and I must say although Suffix 832 is my fave for so many applications, it freezes fast in the winter. For heavy line I've been running 30lb fireline (since I bought 1100 yards of it being the cheapest at the time) and it is awesome at cold temps. Stiff as wire but haven't replaced it in 7 years and still confident it will land a 50 lb pike. Not that I'll ever get the chance to test it on one.

So unless your fishing for perch with 2 lb fluoro I'd say don't buy "specialty" lines for icefishing.

B_Type13X2
01-25-2013, 12:17 AM
I figured this was the case, I guess I'll be shelfing the 45lb ice braid after this season and chalk it up as a learning experience.

New Hunter Okotoks
01-25-2013, 01:12 AM
I figured this was the case, I guess I'll be shelfing the 45lb ice braid after this season and chalk it up as a learning experience.

I purchased some 45lb. ice braid myself. It came on a small spool of about 100 yards and it wasn't a name brand line. If you have the same stuff; it's very good line for ice fishing.

BPman
01-25-2013, 11:01 AM
I have tried the braide Trilene ice line in 10 lb. It stays limp at any temperature, is blue color and seems to work fine even on whitefish that can be l bit line shy at times. The problem I had was it freezes on the U-L spin reel spool, collects more ice than mono ice when I am jigging and is a P-I-T-A. I've gone back to mono and have found regular line a bit stiff but just fine. Prefer clear Magnathin at this time although STREN is excellent too.