PDA

View Full Version : Strange situation

hb hunter
01-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Well, how do i start? My wife and i decided to go ice fishing for an afternoon. We picked a spot, set up 2 lines each and started fishing. After about an hour 4 more truck showed up next to us, no big deal. About 2 hours later an un marked snowmobile drove up to all of us, no big deal. After talking to a couple other people a man walked over to us and asked for our fishing licences. (This man was wearing a common snowmobile suite, no markings or sign of being a CO) I asked for ID and i was told not to be a smart a##. This gentleman asked us to remove our lines from the water as he opened the back door on our truck. He searched my truck top to bottom, dumping out our lunch, glove box and anything not bolted down. This fine gentleman started going thru the toolboxes in the back of my truck and found an unopened case of beer. (Neither me or my wife had an open beer on the ice, we were going to the outlaws after fishing and i did not want to walk into a beer store smelling like fish) This fine gentleman opened the box, dumped the 12 beer on the ice, said "don't litter" and tossed the cans in the back of our truck. Having an idea on laws I grabbed my camers that was now on the floor in my truck and atempted to take a picture of him and his snowmobile. The camera was taken from me. This fine Gentleman opened my tackelbox noticed several new hooks still in the boxes and made me open each one and pinch the barbs an all my new hooks? We were not fishing with Barbed hooks? The snowmobile this man was driving didn't even have a licence plate? 1990-1995 safari? Im not a kid and I found this situation disterbing ending any ice fishing plans for the rest of the year.

carpediem4570
01-25-2013, 12:14 AM
Intersting. If it were me, I would have told him if he wants to see my stuff, I want to see his badge. If he refused, the minute he touched my truck, I would have made a citizens arrest. We can settle it in court. With all the witnesses, he would have had a very hard time explaining his actions to the judge.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

coyotekiller
01-25-2013, 12:19 AM
I do believe you can use barbed hooks in alberta now if I am not mistaken. The whole thing seems strange

surface2feather
01-25-2013, 12:48 AM
Are you sure about that...?

Dacotensis
01-25-2013, 01:02 AM
. The whole thing seems strange

Really?
I'm thinking the same thing.
What person over the age of 30 is going to let an un identified person go through their vehicle? I can think of 20 guys on this forum who would not let it happen.
It just doesn't happen!

You guys are falling for this barb/barbless debate?

Who here has had a search of their vehicle go down like what has been described to us. By f+w?

I'll tell you, if some dude starts looking through my truck without telling me who he is or showing ID, they will more than likely end up underneath it.
ID has allways been produced by a fed, eps or f +w. That's it. Period.:sign0176:
Carry on though! I like a good bs session.
Ill check in on this later:scared0018:Maybe it will be moved out of the hunting discussion and into the buy and sell.

Big Daddy Badger
01-25-2013, 01:03 AM
Know badge and no ID...then messing with the truck and abusing alcohol?

Thats a sure fire way to get a mukluk in the nads.

I would have told him to take a flying...you know.

Something fishy here for sure... the last time a cop spoke to me like that... I was 12.
In this day and age... and in front of a witness what fish cop is dumb enough to refuse to produce ID... not wear a uniform and then start talking tough...swearing at a tax payer while he tosses his vehicle looking for... what?

First off its an unlawful search from the get go... he needed to state why and what he was looking for and he needs to tell you what he is investigating... IOW what he suspects you of before you are required to produce ID. Its cop 101.

Hmmm...were you through the ice or trolling?
What kind and colour truck do you drive?

Pincherguy
01-25-2013, 01:19 AM
Definatley something wrong here, I think you let it go too far, I know when your not sure it is a little frightening. You had a lot of wittnesses ther so I don't think I would have let it go that far. Get the ID before they touch anything.
PG

huntress13
01-25-2013, 01:28 AM
There is an article in January 2013 Alberta outdoorsmen stating it is now legal as of jan.11 2013 to use barbed hooks....
P.s what a dick

HunterDave
01-25-2013, 01:29 AM
Did he have short hair and a moustach? I'm thinking maybe a Morinville Militia fella. :)

BeeGuy
01-25-2013, 01:31 AM
Unskilled troll.

Have a good ban.

Pincherguy
01-25-2013, 01:39 AM
Law enorsement of anykind have to identify themselves, they have to produce a badge of some sort. If you are resisting in any form they can take you down before they produce, but they still have to provide proof that they are law enforcement. Naturatley this this would be extreme cicustances.
I think you were wronged here.
PG

ASAT1
01-25-2013, 06:03 AM
I know I would have made sure he produces ID or he would have been taking a long hike, you should get out there again with a bunch of guys and see if this so called CO comes again and everyone should get together and make him produce ID before checking though truck or license. :mad0030:

Albertarider
01-25-2013, 07:14 AM
Very un-nerving HB. Which lake were you at? I would like to avoid it or be prepared for his possible return. As much as I would like to think that I could "stand my ground" if this happened to me, I think you got out of the situation clean and only out a case of beer, small sacrifice for something that may have gotten out of control. I mean, if this guy was truly a CO, he wouldn't have had any problem showing ID as they all seem pretty proud of them badges.

H380
01-25-2013, 07:21 AM
Did this guy check the other fisherman ? what was their reaction to this situation ?

jack88
01-25-2013, 07:59 AM
I smell a fishy story....
Why isnt this in the fishing section anyways?

rugatika
01-25-2013, 08:07 AM
You just let some joe blow go through all your stuff. He wasn't a f&w.

jacenbeers
01-25-2013, 08:33 AM
You are all falling for a hoax that this dude wants you to believe. He is so full of it. This would never happen. Notice how he hasn't responded to his own thread since he posted it?

Albertadiver
01-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Unskilled troll.

Have a good ban.

Exactly. You want a skilled troll, talk to BeeGuy.

Dacotensis
01-25-2013, 08:57 AM

I knew that was comming!:)

nekred
01-25-2013, 09:24 AM
You should never have let him search your black dodge dually without a warrant!...

diamonddave
01-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Hey Diver, do you hear the Banjos'????:scared0018:

Zuludog
01-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Did he find your pool noodles?

FallAirFever
01-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Im sorry to hear how some guy went through your van while you were fishing. Did he take your McDonalds too?

You should have given this guy your kung-fu cane for his trouble.

Trolling on the hard water, impressive!

hb hunter
01-25-2013, 09:44 AM
You are all falling for a hoax that this dude wants you to believe. He is so full of it. This would never happen. Notice how he hasn't responded to his own thread since he posted it?

Nope, not a joke. Im at work. I don't have a good enough imagination to make this up.

waterninja
01-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Unskilled troll.

Have a good ban.
x2 something fishy about this story

Albertadiver
01-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Hey Diver, do you hear the Banjos'????:scared0018:

I'm in full pucker mode and running like hell! :scared0018:

CNP
01-25-2013, 09:55 AM

Signature material:)

Dacotensis
01-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Im sorry to hear how some guy went through your van while you were fishing. Did he take your McDonalds too?

You should have given this guy your kung-fu cane for his trouble.

Trolling on the hard water, impressive!

I'm still laughing!
Great comedy here guys.

BuckHunterBowen
01-25-2013, 10:06 AM
What's this got to do with hunting?

Dick284
01-25-2013, 10:13 AM
You should have followed the fine gentleman back to his truck, I'm thinking it might just have been a black dodge duelly!

BuckCuller
01-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Nope, not a joke. Im at work. I don't have a good enough imagination to make this up.

I call BS every one knows the laws especially fish and wild life if you were of age and the unopened beer was in the back they would not dump it. And ther is no way they would have made you pinch barbs on a hook that you are not fishing with. I also would have got his name and what branch he was from one way or another. Something does not jive here. And I'd it's true I would be doing something about the harassment.:thinking-006:

fickell
01-25-2013, 10:29 AM
As the telus commercial goes .Thats a big pile of brown bananas !!!!!!!!!!