PDA

View Full Version : My record is intact !!!

dodger
06-14-2008, 07:56 PM
I went to Little Bow today to try several things and enjoy drying out :lol: I started with trolling for Pike using the old Five Of Diamonds and also a suspending Rapala. Fishing was ok considering the wind and fighting the waves. After a few Pike I tried jigging the Gulp Leech for Walleye. This is where my record is still going strong ( 0 Wally's ) :( but the Pike were going nuts over those Leeches so that kept me busy. The wind died down a teeny bit so I tried Drewski Canuck suggestion of using the Kastmaster for Lake Whites. I'm happy to report that I caught 4 in about 1/2 an hour before the wind picked up a little so I went back to jigging the Leech for some more Pike.

On a separate note, I tried using my new bait casting rod and reel with disastrous results :mad3: :mad2: :mad: I tried all the tips that I have seen on the different forums regarding casting with nothing but a birds nest every time, but I did have fun using it for jigging. I'm wondering if I switched the line to mono if it would be more forgiving till I get a better feel for the reel. The braided line for jigging works like a d@$#, I love the way it lets you feel every little bump.

Dodger.

bobalong
06-14-2008, 09:07 PM
You may have read this before, but make sure when you first start casting that you have the drum brake fairly snug (small knob beside the star drag on the right side of the reel on a right hand retrieve reel).This will cut down on your casting distance to start with, but you spend your time casting, not untangling line.As you get the feel of the cast you can start backing the drum brake off a little at a time. Another thing I found very helpfull was to cast the lure up and away, this allows the lure to pull the line off the reel, and enter the water with very little monentum left in the cast, thus elliminating a lot of the backcast problems. Don't give up, once you get used to them, you may not use a spincast hardly at all especially for any trolling presentations, or casting cranks, at least that was the case for me.

dodger
06-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks bobalong.
I never tried a bit more ark to my cast. I did spend a bit of time trying the brake on different settings with no luck. But I was casting pretty aggressively into the wind and with the wind at my back. I will try casting more upward next time out. Thanks again bobalong!!
Dodger.

catnthehat
06-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Anti backlash set so when the lure is released with the rod level it just goes to ground and stops?

Are you casting sidearm? This often helps beginners.

is the rod stiff enough to handle the cast?
Many rods are not not stiff enough to handle a true bait casting reel.

Stay away from the mono , stick with dacron casting line for now untill you get better.

The best advice I can offer is to hook up with a fella that uses baitcasters, and get him to help you.

I use old school bait casters, direct drive "knuckle buster" jobs, mostly 50's era Phluegers, and love them .
As was stated, stick with it, you will soon learn !:)
Cat

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-14-2008, 10:01 PM
TO AVOID TIE UPS AND DEPĖNDING ON THE TYPE OF LINE MATTERS THE SIZE OF YOUR LURE , AND THE WEIGHT OF IT.If I were you I wouldnt put mono on it , Its like anything takes a bit of time , but I really like the Baitcasters I have.