PDA

View Full Version : Howling in coyotes

bpk1982
01-25-2013, 10:08 PM
This afternoon myself and a friend went out to call coyotes...we were in an area with lots of fresh sign...we tried numerous sets of distress calls with no takers...but maybe 30 min before dark we decided to try a couple of howls...got answers pretty quick and within 10 min one shows up at 50 yards...dead yote...I don't try howls very often and am wondering how and when you guys are using howls to call them in...do you focus howls to early and late when you normally hear them howl or is all day long good...any info you want to share an howling them in is appreciated....

Smokinyotes
01-25-2013, 11:18 PM
i havent had much success using the coyote howls except first thing in the morning and the last 1/2 hour before dark. I've had better luck using the snowshoe call over the adult cottontail.

Smokinyotes
01-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Another thing is they should be starting to pair up and mate pretty soon so maybe howling will be more effective.

coyotekiller
01-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Another thing is they should be starting to pair up and mate pretty soon so maybe howling will be more effective.

x2 howling works great at bait/dead piles to. It will also work well on older smarter coyotes. Coyotes will also come to defend there territory to. I have had a older male coyote come running before in the middle of the day from a couple howls and I have had a group of 4 or 5 come in after we did some howls to defend their territory.

Big Lou
01-26-2013, 11:24 AM
I was out the other day for a few sets. Started with some rabbit distress calls. Coyote responded within the first minute. Boom. Coyote down. Switched to pup distress. Big male comings hauling in. Missed him cuz I rush the shot. He runs over a little rise. Then lights up with a challenge. I fire a challenge back and he responds. This goes on for nearly 2 minutes. Switch back to pup distress and he comes charging back in again, piles on the brakes and gives a very aggressive bark. Boom. 2nd one down. This was about 10 AM. I've brought them in with coyote vocalizations at all times of the day but ya, your best bet for howling is definitely dawn & dusk. This next month is prime for employing these sounds.

Fer-Tak-Er
01-26-2013, 11:39 AM
I believe howling also depends on where your calling. Mid day howls I have found as of late work well with some good cover around you. Did 5 sets last week in good cover and howled in 7. Went out the next day, and only had more open spots to howl in. Not near as much luck. I'm just finally having luck with howling this year, so I don't claim to be an expert. This is just somethings that I have learned.

bpk1982
01-26-2013, 01:01 PM
great info guys, keep it coming!

obsessed1
01-26-2013, 06:36 PM
I use coyote vocalizations on almost all of my stands with good results.they work best morning and evening but also have had more than a few midday successes.

Ranch11
01-26-2013, 07:39 PM
I exclusively howl, it makes them more comfortable.

bpk1982
01-26-2013, 08:03 PM
I exclusively howl, it makes them more comfortable.

So you don't distress call at all? What are your methods and success rate?