PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Lake flood water

Prewar
01-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Went on Wolf lake today with the girlfriend on our 2 sleds for some ice fishing...Long storey short...ended up stuck in about 12" of water under the snow. Was getting late in the afternoon when a fellow came along and helped us free the sleds. Couldnt have maneuvered the 2 machines out without his assistance. Building a fire and spending the night on shore was a possibility. Not fun!! Never seen flood water that deep before. Might wanna stay off Wolf for a while!!

Levy
01-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Wolf lake is if not the worst one of the worst lakes i know of for flood water, thin spots, and springs. A number of people have drowned skidooing and canoeing on that lake over the years. One part of the lake goes from 160 feet deep to 15 in no time. Many of us locals (North of 55ers) won't drive on the east side of the lake with even with a sled unless we have to help someone.

This may be off topic but I have a crazy story you can believe or not. My Dad's cousin found a foot in a sock on the beach there nearly thirty years ago. They figured it was either from a man who had capsized a canoe there one fall, or a couple of skidooers that had disappeared on the lake.

We met one drowning victim's daughter at the dock one summer. She said she never knew her father because he had drown a few month's after her mother and him had divorced when she was just a baby. Her mother had just assumed he had ditched them and wanted nothing to do with either of them but she learnt sometime not long before we had met her that he had actually drown there. Her and her husband were there looking for a memorial that had been erected on the side of the lake. I had seen it once as a kid but couldn't find it with them that day at the lake.

tacklerunner
01-26-2013, 09:07 PM
Wolf lake is if not the worst one of the worst lakes i know of for flood water, thin spots, and springs. A number of people have drowned skidooing and canoeing on that lake over the years. One part of the lake goes from 160 feet deep to 15 in no time. Many of us locals (North of 55ers) won't drive on the east side of the lake with even with a sled unless we have to help someone.

This may be off topic but I have a crazy story you can believe or not. My Dad's cousin found a foot in a sock on the beach there nearly thirty years ago. They figured it was either from a man who had capsized a canoe there one fall, or a couple of skidooers that had disappeared on the lake.

We met one drowning victim's daughter at the dock one summer. She said she never knew her father because he had drown a few month's after her mother and him had divorced when she was just a baby. Her mother had just assumed he had ditched them and wanted nothing to do with either of them but she learnt sometime not long before we had met her that he had actually drown there. Her and her husband were there looking for a memorial that had been erected on the side of the lake. I had seen it once as a kid but couldn't find it with them that day at the lake.

What would have severed his foot from his leg? Did they have a theory on that?

Levy
01-26-2013, 09:19 PM
She picked it up because she saw part of a sock sticking out of the sand and when she pulled it out they said there were was a foot in it. My uncle who was there said it was mostly bone held together with a little bit of sinew. They originally thought the body was under the sand but when they dug they found a boot. The theory was the body rotted enough that the rubber boot floated up with the foot inside it and made its way to shore.

kreator
01-26-2013, 11:56 PM
Wow! That is a hell of a story.

Penner
01-27-2013, 08:02 AM
There is more than 1 Wolf lake in Alberta. Might be a good idea to clarify which one we are talking about.

Prewar
01-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Its N/W of Bonnyville/Cold Lake area...And yes Ive heard of that found foot story from an elderly fellow.

jeffrey929
01-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Been on Wolf a few times with the boat and not sure where it is 160 feet deep

Levy
01-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Our fish finder says 160 in front of Cardinals cabin by Lane lake. Maybe it wasn't set up properly but the Atlas of Alberta's Lakes says it has a max depth of 125.
http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Projects/Alberta-Lakes/view/?region=Beaver%20River%20Region&basin=Beaver%20River%20Basin&lake=Wolf%20Lake&number=66