PDA

View Full Version : Spray Lake whites

rerickson
01-26-2013, 09:00 PM
So I'm thinking about hitting Spray later in the week to chase some whites. Any ideas on roughly where to go or what to use? Not looking for honey holes but any tips would be great. PM's are also welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Robyn

jacenbeers
01-27-2013, 11:54 AM
I don't want to give away my spot but I can give you some tips. Spray is great for whites. You will proably have better luck catching them in March because that is when I have seen them in high concentrations there. You can pretty much find them anywhere along any shore where the bottom is flat and not too steep on a drop off. Find somewhere rocky underneath as well. Use maggots on small hooks or small nymphs tipped with maggots. Mealworks work as well. Bounce them off the bottom and wait for the fish to come in.

kostianych
01-27-2013, 10:43 PM
planning to hit Spray atleast 3 of 4 times in February and March....
gonna be lots of fun :)

rerickson
01-28-2013, 06:17 AM
Do you recommend a certain depth? Or are they at different depths? Thanks again for the reply. I've never really chased the rocky mountain whites, I have caught them in the Red Deer river tho usually only by chance using spinners.

BeeGuy
01-28-2013, 06:47 AM
3-10 fow

kostianych
01-29-2013, 12:04 AM
^^^^^ right on ;)

hey, BG, are you going to try your rig on the Spray? ;)

BeeGuy
01-29-2013, 12:18 AM
^^^^^ right on ;)

hey, BG, are you going to try your rig on the Spray? ;)

ya, will have to try out the rockypult for lakers there.

the whitie rigs are already confirmed deadly.

JReed
01-29-2013, 10:55 AM

x2

rerickson
01-30-2013, 12:31 PM

Hey BeeGuy,

Do you mean the white rigs we talked about a month or so ago? Or do you have a new rig? Did you find any specific hook to be more effective? I'll be doing up some rigs tonight and hopefully my luck will change up there. :)

ak-71
01-30-2013, 01:04 PM
Is it mostly early bite for the whites as it is for lakers?
I would like to go there lakers again this year and I fished last year is close to where I think whites should be, could I do both?

jacenbeers
01-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Is it mostly early bite for the whites as it is for lakers?
I would like to go there lakers again this year and I fished last year is close to where I think whites should be, could I do both?

I find that whites are active in the early afternoon and in the morning as well. You would probably do well to go deep in the morning for lakers until the bite slows at 11 AM and then head into the shallows for whites for the rest of the afternoon. I have done well with that strategy every time.

jacenbeers
01-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Hey BeeGuy,

Do you mean the white rigs we talked about a month or so ago? Or do you have a new rig? Did you find any specific hook to be more effective? I'll be doing up some rigs tonight and hopefully my luck will change up there. :)

BG uses tiny octopus hooks or tiny nymphs. I have also used the same rig and have had good luck with tiny trebles. They kinda suck though because they tangle on the line more often.

BeeGuy
01-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Bass pro carries Raven hooks.

I'm really liking them. Size 14 I think.

Got a couple sizes and styles.

ak-71
01-30-2013, 03:05 PM
I find that whites are active in the early afternoon and in the morning as well. You would probably do well to go deep in the morning for lakers until the bite slows at 11 AM and then head into the shallows for whites for the rest of the afternoon. I have done well with that strategy every time.

Sounds like a great plan, I think I know the place just like that. Thanks for advice :)

rerickson
01-30-2013, 05:45 PM
Is there anyone else headed out tomorrow am? Or will I have the lake to myself?
I'm sure there'll be a handful of peeps out trying there luck in the warm sun. :)

Chisholm77
01-30-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm goin. Should be there at 7.

rerickson
01-30-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm goin. Should be there at 7.

I'll prob hit Sparrowhawk. I'll be there around 7 too. Black Chev 2500 with Shaw logos. On the ice I'll have a black ice cube.

Chisholm77
01-30-2013, 08:15 PM
I haven't fully decided Sparrowhawk or Driftwood yet. I drive an Altima and will be in a bright orange "fish inn" if you want to stop by.