PDA

View Full Version : Slave Lake Walleye

Chris5672
01-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Just wondering how the bite has been this week? Ive fished slave a bit but can never seem to find any big walleye,the biggest has been about 4.5lbs and that was this year,anyone find any big ones there....
Thanks
Chris

bpoppa85
01-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Heading there Tuesday for 4 days. I'll let you know

Elkaholic523
01-26-2013, 09:44 PM
That's a good size walleye for slave

Chris5672
01-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Ok thanks,i was thinking about going to joussard on fri morning for 3 days

Wild&Free
01-27-2013, 01:28 PM
That's a good size walleye for slave

Yes it is.

I grew up in Slave lake and fished the east end of the lake quiet a bit with my dad. His biggest was just under 6lbs iirc. The biggest walleye I can remember hearing about being caught there was 8-9lbs, but it was in the river not the lake itself. I did have one on that could of pushed 10lbs our last trip on the lake before moving to BC, but my mom froze with the net in her hand when I brought it to the boat and it just opened its mouth, turned and cut my line on the gill plate. Fish tale for sure eh.

fishtank
01-27-2013, 02:38 PM
i have great luck in the south east side by the mouth of the river

Cal
01-27-2013, 02:51 PM
i have great luck in the south east side by the mouth of the river

In the winter? You sure?

I agree with Wild and Free that the river gives up more big walleye than the lake, 3 years ago though we had very low water and the deep holes silted up. The big fish are probably still there but I dont know anyone who has been finding them with much regularity in the past couple years.

But thats summer talk, the east end typicaly doesnt give up much for walleye in the winter for some reason. It even seems to take them a few weeks to move in after the season opens in may. Canyon can be hit and miss, IMO Assineau or further west is better. My wife caught one in the 24" range a couple weeks ago but we havnt caught anything much bigger than that all year.

Wild&Free
01-27-2013, 02:53 PM
In the winter? You sure?

I agree with Wild and Free that the river gives up more big walleye than the lake, 3 years ago though we had very low water and the deep holes silted up. The big fish are probably still there but I dont know anyone who has been finding them with much regularity in the past couple years.

But thats summer talk, the east end doesnt give up much for walleye in the winter for some reason. It even seems to take them a few weeks to move in after the season opens. Even Canyon can be hit and miss, IMO Assineau or further west is better. My wife caught one in the 24" range but I havnt caught anything much bigger than that this year.

Gotta wait for the cottonwood/poplar fuzz to fly before the fishing gets good on the east end ;)

Cal
01-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Gotta wait for the cottonwood/poplar fuzz to fly before the fishing gets good on the east end ;)

Yep, one more reason to hate braid.

Wild&Free
01-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Yep, one more reason to hate braid.

That crap even builds up on mono, there's no getting away from it.:mad0030:

Cal
01-27-2013, 03:08 PM

Yeah but not like it does on braid, and the globs will usualy slide down mono as you reel in your fish. With braid I get siezed up solid with a golfball sized glob, trying to use the boat to keep the line tight while I clear the poplar fuzz off just so I can reel in my fish.

fishtank
01-27-2013, 04:36 PM
In the winter? You sure?

But thats summer talk, the east end typicaly doesnt give up much for walleye in the winter for some reason. It even seems to take them a few weeks to move in after the season opens in may. Canyon can be hit and miss, IMO Assineau or further west is better. My wife caught one in the 24" range a couple weeks ago but we havnt caught anything much bigger than that all year.

nope last time i was there ,that was in the fall of last year

Penner
01-27-2013, 06:59 PM

Loop a very small brass bead onto your line 2ft - 4ft above the hook. All the fuzz will be caught at the bead keeping you hook nice and clean.

Wild&Free
01-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Loop a very small brass bead onto your line 2ft - 4ft above the hook. All the fuzz will be caught at the bead keeping you hook nice and clean.

Not too worried about my hook getting gummed up by it. I usually keep my lure in the water that time of year. Bottom bounce/crank bait trollin' for this boy when the fuzz flies. It's the additional drag on the line, and the way it effects the action while trolling that annoy me.

Cal
01-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Not too worried about my hook getting gummed up by it. I usually keep my lure in the water that time of year. Bottom bounce/crank bait trollin' for this boy when the fuzz flies. It's the additional drag on the line, and the way it effects the action while trolling that annoy me.

Or when you hook a fish after 45 minuits of trolling and you have a huge glob of fuzz that prevents you from reeling in the fish more than half way.