PDA

View Full Version : Holes in the ice question?

Pikehunter13
01-26-2013, 09:33 PM
How do you guys get more than 1 hole to conjoin.

A, Do you drill 2 holes side by side with less than an inch of ice and use something to break the little chunk of ice?

or

B, Drill one hole but just over lap the first hole on the second.

I would like to make a nice viewing area kind like MR.Waynecristie

Richmuiz
01-26-2013, 09:37 PM
B

Richmuiz
01-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Start the second hole slow until you get a inch into the ice then you can give it gas

WayneChristie
01-26-2013, 09:45 PM
do one a couple inches then start the second overlapping , then alternate til you are through

degasvegas
01-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Pure genius...I'm doing this next time I go out.

Just remember to stake and flag those holes after lol.

Pikehunter13
01-26-2013, 10:12 PM
do one a couple inches then start the second overlapping , then alternate til you are through

So what your saying is to start the FIRST hole and only go down 2 inchs or so
Then drill the seconded hole all the way to the water?
Then go back to the first hole and punch it through to the water?

If I want more holes go back to step one?

Correct>?

WayneChristie
01-26-2013, 10:31 PM
no you will get soaked that way, do one a few inches then the other, back and forth all the way to the water.

Richmuiz
01-26-2013, 10:45 PM
I've never even came close to getting soaked the way I do it lol just try the two methods I'm sure one will work for you just fine and quick

Wes_G
01-26-2013, 11:57 PM
I have always just drilled one hole all the way through and then drilled another one right beside it, slightly overlapping them.

bubba 96
01-27-2013, 01:31 AM
Or just get a 10 in auger bit...never had a problem with any fish...Although my biggest is 16 lbs Iv drilled many holes where bigger have came out. And no one has to worry bout falling in a hole and get soaked..

Blairh
01-27-2013, 01:47 AM
I just drilled on then kina stuck the auger in at an angle for the second and torqued on it... probably not the best for the auger but it worked lol

Jack&7
01-27-2013, 12:16 PM
I drill my cam hole first. That way I know roughly how deep the auger will go before it breaks through...make a mental note.

Then, I start my first hole and drill until just before break-through. Lift auger up and drill 2nd hole so that there is an overlap which will give you about 7-8 inches 'gap' between holes. Once you get the second hole started, it will stay in the groove (so to speak) and won't do anything else but fill the first incomplete hole with shavings. The reason I don't drill through on the first hole all the way is so that I don't end up get soaked from all the splashing. Don't drill through until you are on your last hole. trust me on this one...

Drill through to completion and then slide your auger back down the shaft of the unfinished hole and finish it off. Now spend 10 minutes cleaning all the ice shavings out...there will be lots!

You now have a nice double hole...and you can follow the procedure for a third if you wish.

See pic below for my triple hole.

Pikehunter13
01-27-2013, 10:58 PM
I drill my cam hole first. That way I know roughly how deep the auger will go before it breaks through...make a mental note.

Then, I start my first hole and drill until just before break-through. Lift auger up and drill 2nd hole so that there is an overlap which will give you about 7-8 inches 'gap' between holes. Once you get the second hole started, it will stay in the groove (so to speak) and won't do anything else but fill the first incomplete hole with shavings. The reason I don't drill through on the first hole all the way is so that I don't end up get soaked from all the splashing. Don't drill through until you are on your last hole. trust me on this one...

Drill through to completion and then slide your auger back down the shaft of the unfinished hole and finish it off. Now spend 10 minutes cleaning all the ice shavings out...there will be lots!

You now have a nice double hole...and you can follow the procedure for a third if you wish.

See pic below for my triple hole.

Thanks
JD with 7-up