PDA

View Full Version : ice fishing line

figmentam
01-27-2013, 01:08 AM
so i went out and bought a couple of ice fishing rods a few days ago. they seem like decent rods, but what im concerned about is the line thats on them, it seems pretty light. i was wondering what you would recommend for line?
going to be going out in the next couple of days to hopefully get some decent fishing in, right now the debate is between buffalo lake and burnstick lake. which would you recommed? wouldnt mind getting some decent pike. but im worried the line on my rods is way to light if i hook a decent pike.

pike_king780
01-27-2013, 05:57 AM
so i went out and bought a couple of ice fishing rods a few days ago. they seem like decent rods, but what im concerned about is the line thats on them, it seems pretty light. i was wondering what you would recommend for line?
going to be going out in the next couple of days to hopefully get some decent fishing in, right now the debate is between buffalo lake and burnstick lake. which would you recommed? wouldnt mind getting some decent pike. but im worried the line on my rods is way to light if i hook a decent pike.

im sure other members can help you more but on my ice gear i like to use braided ice line by power pro. love the stuff. and for pike a heavy fluorocarbon leader always works nice. good luck!

Geezle
01-27-2013, 07:58 AM
For my heavier rods that are set up for walleye/pike/burbs I just run a couple of my summer reels which are loaded up with reasonably heavy PowerPro.

For the smaller stuff like perch and stocked trout I have a couple rods rigged up with UL reels loaded with 6lb NanoFil, which is small enough that the fish don't seem bothered by it, but I've still hauled in a few decent 'surprise' pike with it as well :)

tacklerunner
01-27-2013, 08:47 AM
If you don't have a bunch of rods and extra reels for different species, I'd recommend loading them with a 20 lb braid and use different leaders. Throw on a wire leader and you're good for a 30 lb pike. Put on a 4 lb fluoro leader and you're stealthy enough for perch. Trout, well somewhere in between. Tie a small swivel to the braid and attach your leader accordingly.

BIZJAY
01-27-2013, 10:52 AM
If you don't have a bunch of rods and extra reels for different species, I'd recommend loading them with a 20 lb braid and use different leaders. Throw on a wire leader and you're good for a 30 lb pike. Put on a 4 lb fluoro leader and you're stealthy enough for perch. Trout, well somewhere in between. Tie a small swivel to the braid and attach your leader accordingly.

X2 best way for a few rod set up just set ur drag accordingly and have fun.

EZM
01-27-2013, 12:36 PM

x3 .........What he said .......

Wild&Free
01-27-2013, 01:32 PM
x4 ^^