PDA

View Full Version : Catch and release question

Kgz
01-28-2013, 11:33 AM
If a person has a limit of fish laying on the ice, can you legally continue to c&r that species ?

Bigdad013
01-28-2013, 11:55 AM
yes u can

McLeod
01-28-2013, 12:52 PM
but in a national park you would have to stop fishing when you keep your limit. Of course there would not be fish on the ice because there is no Ice fishing allowed.

Sundancefisher
01-28-2013, 12:58 PM
Only problem is that if you mortally wounded one after killing your limit you MUST release the dead/dying last fish back into the water. No culling and no retention. You would have to keep releasing all injured fish till you were done fishing. Poses its own ethical dilemma.

Couleestalker
01-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Only problem is that if you mortally wounded one after killing your limit you MUST release the dead/dying last fish back into the water. No culling and no retention. You would have to keep releasing all injured fish till you were done fishing. Poses its own ethical dilemma.

So then why even go fishing? What if you are strictly sport fishing (catch and release only). What if you mortally hook a fish that has no keep limit? Why is it that the guy who wants to keep a fish to eat and still have fun by catching more and releasing must look at his ethics and morals but the guy who wants to catch and release only can do it all day long with nobody questioning his ethics?

AppleJax
01-28-2013, 01:11 PM
So then why even go fishing? What if you are strictly sport fishing (catch and release only). What if you mortally hook a fish that has no keep limit? Why is it that the guy who wants to keep a fish to eat and still have fun by catching more and releasing must look at his ethics and morals but the guy who wants to catch and release only can do it all day long with nobody questioning his ethics?

Good point.

AdverseCity
01-28-2013, 02:09 PM
There's all sorts of scenarios like this that can and will come up if you fish long enough. If there's a limit of 5 try keeping only 4 and save a spot for the one you might hook too deeply. If there's no limit then try to avoid bait or at least use a larger hook to reduce the chance of them swallowing it. Using a camera will help you to avoid hooking the little ones or species you don't want to catch. Eventually you will probably be forced to release a fish that will likely die soon after, just do what you can to minimize the chances of it happening. If it happens every time you go fishing then you need to change something.

Lefty-Canuck
01-28-2013, 02:18 PM

How is this different than fishing a water body with a size limit? Whether its gonna die or not an undersized fish must be released.

LC

Couleestalker
01-28-2013, 02:34 PM
How is this different than fishing a water body with a size limit? Whether its gonna die or not an undersized fish must be released.

LC

My point exactly. Everyone should just stay home and play video games.:thinking-006:

brown trout
01-28-2013, 02:35 PM

LC

Agreed, but I also think that as reasonably enlightened people, we can simply try an minimize any unnecessary impact on the lakes. Maybe after catching a limit, if you didn't leave one "buffer fish" or something, stop using bait. This alone can lower unintended hooking mortality of some species, like trout, from about 30% to 40% to about 5% or lower. That's substantial, and if you accidentally hook a fish deep on a small spoon or jig, or puncture a major blood vessel, at least you know you took reasonable measures to limit any chances of that happening.

Okotokian
01-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Why is it that the guy who wants to keep a fish to eat and still have fun by catching more and releasing must look at his ethics and morals but the guy who wants to catch and release only can do it all day long with nobody questioning his ethics?

I get your point. But I would also question the ethics of a 100% C&R guy as well if he kept fishing when every second fish he caught rolled over and floated away after he released it. I'd say it was time for him to stop fishing and take a look at his technique (or lack thereof).

Mutter87
01-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Here's one to wrap your head around.

If you have your limit, You can not LEGALLY take a picture of any other fish of that species that you catch that day.

A picture of a fish counts as possession. Put it in the "Ask F&W" section if you do not believe me.

While planning the Kayak tournament 2 years ago we were told that a picture counts as possession so certain fish species would not be eligible.

Wild&Free
01-28-2013, 04:15 PM
I know in BC that once you have your limit for a species you cannot target that species until you take the fish home. At least that's what I remember reading when I last looked over the regs.

Not sure why you're allowed to keep fishing after catching your limit here.

Like one members signature on here

limit your catch, not catch your limit.

Mutter87
01-28-2013, 04:18 PM
I know in BC that once you have your limit for a species you cannot target that species until you take the fish home. At least that's what I remember reading when I last looked over the regs.

This is Alberta man, The Viking lifestyle is alive and well here, Rape and Pillage then move on.

BeeGuy
01-28-2013, 04:20 PM

If you have your limit, You can not LEGALLY take a picture of any other fish of that species that you catch that day.

A picture of a fish counts as possession. Put it in the "Ask F&W" section if you do not believe me.

While planning the Kayak tournament 2 years ago we were told that a picture counts as possession so certain fish species would not be eligible.

BS

Mutter87
01-28-2013, 04:23 PM
BS

Ask for yourself man, I am not BS'ing you.

Trust me, I think it is quite possibly the dumbest rule I have heard. I would actually like to hear an argument in favor of it, just to see the cons of a picture.

Edit: I call this number 1 877 944-0313 to speak with SRD about it, He will get back to me tomorrow.

Bigdad013
01-28-2013, 04:31 PM

I don't see that anywhere in the regulations. Now I'm talking BC, as thats where I do most of my fishing Mainly the shuswap. So a guy drives out 5 hours, gets his boat in the water, catches a legal laker in 5 mins, then he should go home. And as for the Shuswap, you need tags to keep any rainbows or lakers, if you don't buy the tag your not allowed any possession. No where does it state you can't fish for them, just have to C&R.

58thecat
01-28-2013, 04:32 PM
If a person has a limit of fish laying on the ice, can you legally continue to c&r that species ?

Pack it up and eat a balogne sandwich...catch another and it dies than what, you caught the limit best not have the fish cops swing by and catch you with a balogne sandwhich and over limit, might loose your sandwich...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Bigdad013
01-28-2013, 04:33 PM
BS

x2 complete BS

CamoDerrick
01-28-2013, 04:36 PM

So every single picture I have viewed of a sturgeon from Alberta has been done illegally because it is their possession now?

Hmm.... ok

Mutter87
01-28-2013, 04:39 PM
So every single picture I have viewed of a sturgeon from Alberta has been done illegally because it is their possession now?

Hmm.... ok

Its not my law, This is what was said 2 years ago while planning a Kayak fishing tournament. I have called SRD and they said they would call me back tomorrow.

Wild&Free
01-28-2013, 04:53 PM
I don't see that anywhere in the regulations. Now I'm talking BC, as thats where I do most of my fishing Mainly the shuswap. So a guy drives out 5 hours, gets his boat in the water, catches a legal laker in 5 mins, then he should go home. And as for the Shuswap, you need tags to keep any rainbows or lakers, if you don't buy the tag your not allowed any possession. No where does it state you can't fish for them, just have to C&R.

Okay, I just went over a copy of the BC fishing regs online, and we're both right. Since I don't fish for or target lake trout and primarily fished the rivers for steelhead and salmon we both read the regs differently.

You're right in the sense that once you catch your limit you can keep on fishing, unless you happen to be fishing steelhead where there is a hatchery retention limit.

"When you have caught and retained your
daily quota of hatchery steelhead from
any water, you must stop fishing that
water for the remainder of that day"

As far as I know, there are only 2 rivers that were 'near' to where I lived where there was hatchery retention, which was the Kitimat and Yakoun Rivers, neither of which I have fished for steelhead.

My memory was a bit fuzzy, but I was positive there was something like that in the regs.

Couleestalker
01-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Pack it up and eat a balogne sandwich...catch another and it dies than what, you caught the limit best not have the fish cops swing by and catch you with a balogne sandwhich and over limit, might loose your sandwich...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

So you want to go fishing for sturgeon on the SSR because you heard how awesome it is and they put up a good fight and you've never seen one in real life. The guy beside you catches one and it dies. Do you keep fishing for one or do you pull in your line and eat your sandwich.

Wild&Free
01-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Its not my law, This is what was said 2 years ago while planning a Kayak fishing tournament. I have called SRD and they said they would call me back tomorrow.

If you don't believe him, call SRD yourself to get the truth from the horses mouth. If enough people call this 'law' might get reviewed and thrown off the books. If it is law, I've personally been guilty of 'poaching' many many times in that sense.

Hmm.... ok

Same with everyone who's posted a sturgeon picture.

It could very well be that for the purpose of a tournament that a photo of a fish counts as possession if fishing a C&R water body, or water body with C&R restrictions on certain species. Specially if it is an 'all species' type of tournament.

diamonddave
01-28-2013, 04:59 PM
That's some pretty crazy Kool-Aid you have there Mutter!!

Okotokian
01-28-2013, 05:09 PM

This sounds a little too much like the old "If you post your land "No Hunting", you can't hunt there yourself" one... I will await F&W getting back to you on this one. It makes no sense at all.

Wild&Free
01-28-2013, 05:11 PM
This sounds a little too much like the old "If you post your land "No Hunting", you can't hunt there yourself" one... I will await F&W getting back to you on this one. It makes no sense at all.

check my response to this, it's the only explanation that makes any sense to me.

Mutter87
01-28-2013, 05:14 PM

I agree with you 110%. This is what we were told 2 years ago while planning the tournament and getting the permits.

I will post what I hear tomorrow.

Okotokian
01-28-2013, 05:21 PM
I agree with you 110%. This is what we were told 2 years ago while planning the tournament and getting the permits.

I will post what I hear tomorrow.

You sure you aren't getting this mixed up with the time you were going to be charged with possession of those other photos????? :scared::scared0018: LOL

Mutter87
01-28-2013, 05:26 PM
You sure you aren't getting this mixed up with the time you were going to be charged with possession of those other photos????? :scared::scared0018: LOL

Ok, that is funny!!! LOL

DiabeticKripple
01-28-2013, 05:29 PM

im sorry, but did you change dealers? your smoking some gooooddd ****. i want some of that....

Okotokian
01-28-2013, 05:33 PM
i want some of that....

Hey, I've read your posts. 100% sure you've already found stuff just as "good" ;)

DiabeticKripple
01-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Hey, I've read your posts. 100% sure you've already found stuff just as "good" ;)

:argue2:

Mutter87
01-28-2013, 05:47 PM

No way!! 2 in one thread!! Lmao

Bigdad013
01-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Okay, I just went over a copy of the BC fishing regs online, and we're both right. Since I don't fish for or target lake trout and primarily fished the rivers for steelhead and salmon we both read the regs differently.

You're right in the sense that once you catch your limit you can keep on fishing, unless you happen to be fishing steelhead where there is a hatchery retention limit.

"When you have caught and retained your
daily quota of hatchery steelhead from
any water, you must stop fishing that
water for the remainder of that day"

As far as I know, there are only 2 rivers that were 'near' to where I lived where there was hatchery retention, which was the Kitimat and Yakoun Rivers, neither of which I have fished for steelhead.

My memory was a bit fuzzy, but I was positive there was something like that in the regs.

It's nice that nobody was wrong....lol

BeeGuy
01-28-2013, 11:04 PM

I would expect that it was a condition of the event permit.

They would have to throw me in jail and throw away the key for all the fish I've photographed that could not legally be retained.:fighting0074:

BeeGuy
01-28-2013, 11:06 PM

Baahahahahahahahahaha

Mutter87
01-29-2013, 10:12 AM
I would expect that it was a condition of the event permit.

They would have to throw me in jail and throw away the key for all the fish I've photographed that could not legally be retained.:fighting0074:

Picture does not mean possesion, srd got back to me. I thought it sounded like a bogus law, whoever told us from 2 years ago was probably talking out of their ass.

Has anyone heard of this in any of the other provinces??

huntsfurfish
01-29-2013, 10:38 AM
:) Its Ok, but still willing to sell you my portion of the South Sask River.:)

Wild&Free
01-29-2013, 10:57 AM
It's nice that nobody was wrong....lol

:sHa_shakeshout:

Chris84
01-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Wow the OP asks a simple question and it turns into a big debate.

From the Regs:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Catch Limits

In this Guide the word “limit” refers to the number of fish you are allowed to keep or have in your possession. As outlined below, you may not exceed the limit at any water body fished, nor possess more fish than the provincewide maximum.

Possession: A fish is considered retained (kept) when it is not immediately returned to the waters from which it was taken.

If the fish you catch is of a legal species and legal size, immediately decide to release or keep it as part of your day’s limit. Fish kept on a stringer or a live well are considered retained and are part of your limit. (See releasing live or prohibited fish.)

1.Before fishing in any lake or stream you must locate, within this guide, the Fish Management Zone and Watershed Unit in which it is found. Determine whether or not the lake or stream is listed under the “Lake and Stream Listings” section (see instructions under “Site-Specific Regulations” for each Watershed Unit.)

2.The number of fish you are allowed to keep while fishing in one day is equal to the limit listed for each species or group of species at the lake or stream being fished, including any fish eaten or given away that day.

3.When you are fishing at any lake or stream you may not have in your possession more fish than the limit, or fish other than those of legal size, listed for the lake or stream being fished.

4.The number of fish of each species you may possess at the end of a fishing trip, regardless of the number of days fished, is equal to a 1 day limit for the water body fished, including fish stored at home.
Province-wide maximum possession – All fish kept from any lake or stream, from any Watershed Unit, count as part of the province-wide maximum possession that must not be exceeded. The maximum number of fish you may have, including fish at your home and fish caught under a special harvest licence, for each game fish species or group of species is listed below:

•Trout and Arctic Grayling – 5 in total, combined of:
0 bull trout (native to Alberta);
2 Northern Dolly Varden (stocked in Chester Lake only);
1 golden trout;
2 Arctic grayling;
3 lake trout;
5 cutthroat trout;
5 rainbow trout;
5 brown trout;
5 brook trout.

•Mountain Whitefish – 5 in total.
•Walleye and Sauger – 3 in combined total.
•Northern Pike – 3 in total.
•Yellow Perch – 15 in total.
•Lake Whitefish and Cisco (Tullibee) – 10 in combined total.
•Goldeye and Mooneye – 10 in combined total.
•Burbot (Ling) – 10 in total.
•Lake Sturgeon – 0
•Non-game fish – no restriction on the numbers kept.

and

Never Cull Fish

“Culling” is staying within the catch limit for a species by releasing fish from a stringer or other holding device when a larger fish is caught. Fish that have been held on a stringer or in a tub usually die if released because of stress and because of damage to their gills, fins and scales.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope this helps.

waterninja
01-29-2013, 01:00 PM

thats a strange rule. i've taken many pics. of walleye caught on the nsr and it is 0 possession limit. same with sturgeon and small pike.

Blairh
01-29-2013, 03:22 PM

LC

Came in to say this haha