PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fish BC Freshwater?

CanuckShooter
01-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Does anyone on here fish BC Freshwater? We are considering retiring to Alberta...so I've been doing some online studying by checking out your fishing threads....are there any rainbows in alta?? I'm not familiar with walleye, pike, or perch...so I'll have a few things to learn.

A few pics of our favourite spring fishing trip.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/jim13135/fishing%20for%20life/fishing05029.jpg
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/jim13135/huntfish/gradfishing084.jpg
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/jim13135/huntfish/gradfishing068.jpg

McLeod
01-28-2013, 12:38 PM
If your moving here to retire fishing trout is not your priority !
There is some excellant flowing water fishing for Trout but the stillwater fishing in comparison is poor.

Wild&Free
01-28-2013, 12:52 PM
^ Agree.

If you're near the mountains there's some really good trout fishing in the flowing water, but the lakes are mostly stocked. Also, it would depend on which part of the province you move to. Where I'm at, there isn't much appeal as a fisherman, but there are places where in about an hours drive you can catch almost all species found in Alberta.

I moved out here from NW BC and I miss the fishing there, Walleye, Pike and Perch are better tasting fish to eat then most trout though so there is that. Unfortunately the closest lake that holds any of those is at least 2 hours away, that I've found anyways.

CanuckShooter
01-28-2013, 12:59 PM
We are looking to be around Sherwood Park / Edmonton area.

Pudelpointer
01-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Have to agree that for the lake angler pursuing rainbows, there are only a handful of gems in the entire province.

For the stream angler who wants more of a challenge then the suicidal cutthroat of SE BC can provide, there are some absolutely world class fisheries here that, if the proposed C&R restrictions for CT and RB are implemented on, will only get better.

To be clear, I am not saying I agree with those regulation changes and I am not saying I don't, but I will say that the reasons being given for the change by government are 100% BS.

However, there is no denying that the restrictions, if implemented, will create some fantastic C&R stream fishing..... but then again, if you do not have anyone around to enforce the regulations, they will not result in the change that they are design to achieve (not the false reason that government is stating).

Pudelpointer
01-28-2013, 01:03 PM
We are looking to be around Sherwood Park / Edmonton area.

Uhhhh, not a good area for the trout fanatic.

huntin'fool
01-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Uhhhh, not a good area for the trout fanatic.

Whaddya mean? Sherwood Park is awesome. The Superstore is always fully stocked with half dead Tilapia!! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Alberta cannot compare to BC, plain and simple. Hope your reason for retirement here is a good one...you'll miss BC.

CanuckShooter
01-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Son & wife & granddaughter are there!

tacklerunner
01-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Can always do what I do. Get back to BC often to fish. In the meantime fish the species that are plentiful in AB.

huntin'fool
01-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Son & wife & granddaughter are there!

Best reason for relocation!!

Just save your pennies for fishin' trips and bring the granddaughter when she's old enough!!

BeeGuy
01-28-2013, 04:16 PM
You'll find enough fishin here to keep you busy, especially if you enjoy driving a few hours to do it.

There is no comparison IMO.

The Fisherman Guy
01-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Can always do what I do. Get back to BC often to fish. In the meantime fish the species that are plentiful in AB.

That's how I have been fishing for a while now, both have their merits.

CanuckShooter:

The fishing isn't bad here in Alberta compared to BC, it's just different - to begin with, we don't have the ocean. However enjoying both fisheries is a great addition to your fishing hobby. As Tacklerunner said, live here and enjoy both by regularly making the pilgrimage back to your favorite fishing grounds in BC.