PDA

View Full Version : Skeet/ Trap

Doodle30
01-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Hey Gents

So I took my new O/U to shoot some targets on Sunday. I suck. First round was embarrassing. Second round maybe 30-35% success.

How do I fix that? Practice yes, but how do I know what to correct?

I have watched videos on mounting the gun and think I do OK. I started the shoot with the gun mounted the second round and improved for sure.

If I am shooting by myself, how do I know if I am shooting high, low, in front or behind? Swinging too fast or not following through?

I am going to sign-up for a lesson but thought I would start with some input from here.

Doodle

Okotokian
01-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Are you new to trap or just new to this particular gun? What do you usually shoot?

I'd pattern the gun just to see where you think you are aiming vs where you are really aiming (or at least where the gun is really shooting).

Jamie
01-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Doodle, where did you go?

Jamie

surface2feather
01-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Are you shooting straight away from you? Wait until they crest in their trajectory, that is where they are the flattest and easiest to hit.

Doodle30
01-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Are you new to trap or just new to this particular gun? What do you usually shoot?

I'd pattern the gun just to see where you think you are aiming vs where you are really aiming (or at least where the gun is really shooting).

Brand new to both. First time that I shot sheet and the first time pulling trigger on gun. I will pattern the gun but that isn't as fun. Since I was eager to shoot the gun I choose targets first. A little bit of cart before the horse I guess.

densa44
01-28-2013, 05:59 PM
You are missing low and behind and you are lifting your head, not following through with your swing. And I didn't see you shoot!

Ask the nice guys at the club to set it up so the clay goes out straight away and you stand in the middle at the 16 yd. line. This is a shot you have seen many times before and you'll hit it. Your head is on the stock, we call it wood on wood! When you are hitting the clay. Don't move but if you are rt. handed have the trap throw them to your left, swing at the hips, you'll hit those pretty soon too. The next one is much harder, when they are thrown to the right, by swinging on the bird your head tends to come off the stock, and you miss. Plant your feet swing hard from the hips and keep your head on the stock and you'll get better soon.

Glad that you are trying to learn. If I can do it anyone can.

Welcome to the club.

Doodle30
01-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Doodle, where did you go?

Jamie

I went to Calgary firearms centre.

catnthehat
01-28-2013, 06:20 PM
The only way to tell for sure is to have a knowledgeable shooter with you when you shoot to see exactly what you are doing wrong, but most misses are caused by lifting the head , which will cause a high shot, and stopping the swing, which will cause a shot behind the target.
It's quite easy to fix with good instruction, however.:)
Think of your eye as the rear sight , the higher you are off the stock, the higher your rear sight.
If you stop swinging, you are actually aiming the gun , and your shot string will be behind , so you have to lead the target so the shot string intercepts it.
How much to lead takes practice, and Ii cannot tell you how much, because it is a different feel with each gun.
I can tell you that you will be breaking birds on the trap field at around 37 yards, so you have to be in front on most stations and shooting in about 1 second or there abouts .:)
Cat

Jamie
01-28-2013, 06:26 PM
I went to Calgary firearms centre.

Fantastic.
Now pick up the phone and call Martin. (Manager) I am sure he will gladly help you out.
Shooting 15-20 out of 25 is possible is just a day.

If your not comfortable with that, get in touch with me and I will go out for a day with you.

You picked the best place to go.

So many different things that are easy to solve.
Proper foot placement. Proper weight distribution, Proper swing through.
Head glued to the stock, not guessing the bird...

All of the above are easy to fix, but tough to master.

Jamie

wwbirds
01-28-2013, 06:30 PM
and as Cat mentioned it is easier to have someone watch than instruct on internet.
Many dont have stance and stand "away" from gun instead of leaning into it like a tool attached to the shooter. Feet shoulder width apart and face where you wil break bird not where it will first appear to you.
Many stop the swing as they shoot thus shoot behind every bird. Must maintain the lead after trigger is pulled, slapped or squeezed. Are you snap shooting, swinging through the target or never catching up. I have seen people pull the trigger and they were no where near the target as they lost focus on target and just pulled to go through with the motion.

Doodle30
01-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Fantastic.
Now pick up the phone and call Martin. (Manager) I am sure he will gladly help you out.
Shooting 15-20 out of 25 is possible is just a day.

If your not comfortable with that, get in touch with me and I will go out for a day with you.

You picked the best place to go.

So many different things that are easy to solve.
Proper foot placement. Proper weight distribution, Proper swing through.
Head glued to the stock, not guessing the bird...

All of the above are easy to fix, but tough to master.

Jamie

I grabbed Martin's card yesterday when I left but I am happy to meet and shoot if you are interested.

I do have a buddy that's a good shotgunner but he is tough to get out.

catnthehat
01-28-2013, 06:42 PM
I miss shooting in the winter, I rarely get out because of our colder temperatures.
Cat

Doodle30
01-28-2013, 06:47 PM
I miss shooting in the winter, I rarely get out because of our colder temperatures.
Cat

It was a beautiful day shooting yesterday. I hope to get a few days in here in the new year.

catnthehat
01-28-2013, 06:50 PM
It was a beautiful day shooting yesterday. I hope to get a few days in here in the new year.

I'd shoot even in the blistering cold, but our range gets shut down in the winter , so if Ii go, it's with a hand thrower, or if i can, I coax Southerman out - he has a Winchester double stacker with the wobble attachment!
Cat

Doodle30
01-28-2013, 06:57 PM
and as Cat mentioned it is easier to have someone watch than instruct on internet.
Many dont have stance and stand "away" from gun instead of leaning into it like a tool attached to the shooter. Feet shoulder width apart and face where you wil break bird not where it will first appear to you.
Many stop the swing as they shoot thus shoot behind every bird. Must maintain the lead after trigger is pulled, slapped or squeezed. Are you snap shooting, swinging through the target or never catching up. I have seen people pull the trigger and they were no where near the target as they lost focus on target and just pulled to go through with the motion.

I do suspect that I may be lifting out of the shot and stopping the swing. (Along with many other things.)

catnthehat
01-28-2013, 06:58 PM
I do suspect that I may be lifting out of the shot and stopping the swing. (Along with many other things.)

Coming out of the gun and stopping the swing are two easy things to fix with proper coaching .:)
Cat

nd4spd
01-28-2013, 09:58 PM
I was out there a couple weeks ago and I was horrible at the skeet. Martiin went threw a few things with us at the start and after; great guy for sure and I was thinking of getting him to do a little coaching so I can hit those clays on the skeet; trap I was pretty consistant.

catnthehat
01-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Once you get onto skeet your scores will be higher than your trap scores!
Trap is easier to learn , but skeet birds are closer and fly in the same pattern, so the scores are naturally higher.That is why there are four gun classes, whereas in trap, the 12 gauge rules.
many good skeet shooters over the years in fact did away with the 12, and in the four gun, used their 20's in the 12 gauge events.
I shoot far more skeet than trap because it is closer to upland shooting for me, so is better practice for pheasants and such.:)
Cat

densa44
01-28-2013, 10:17 PM
He knows all about this. My wife took the woman's course last year and now shoots very well. She had never fired a shot before.

jzz30tt
01-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Skeet has to be one of the funnest things I've ever done with a shotgun. I got the chance to go out with my brother-in-law while visiting out in Michigan last summer and shared his Red Label 12g.

Had an absolute blast (pun not intended) I will be looking for a place to shoot near Edmonton as I just got my PAL in the last few months and have started the collection.

Best score was a 23 in my last of 4 rounds (Stupid stupid #2 position) so have improvements to make but I walked away grinning like a fool. So much fun! I haven't ever tried Trap or Sporting Clays but both sound like a ton of fun as well.

Hand thrown clays are fun but I love the structure of a sport and scoring to help you get better at it.

oldgutpile
01-29-2013, 05:33 AM
There's a ton of little things that an experienced shooter working with you can help with. Many of them have been discussed here, but obviously gonna make more sense on the range, with someone coaching while you're actually shooting.
One thing that hasnt been discussed, but an issue that should come up first and foremost with a good coach, is the gun "fit". Length of pull, drop at comb and at heel, cant, pitch,etc. I've seen it a lot, and been there too, where just "any" shotgun is chosen because it looks good, or is the same as my buddy shoots! It doesnt have to be a five thousand dollar gun, it just has to be something that fits your body. At the very least, figure out where the particular gun you are using is shooting, by taking it to the patterning board. You may be suprised, and even if the gun is not adjustable, it will help you find a proper point of aim.
All of these "little" things contribute to being a better shooter. It gets into the technical end, but anything helping to connect with more targets, makes the day more fun! Its always more fun when you hit more targets, and that's what its all about!

a little redneck
01-30-2013, 08:18 AM
If you ever go to Vegas go to Clarke County Range and practice all day. You can rent a shotgun and you might run into locals that are willing to coach if you're willing to listen.

They have traps, skeet, and sporting clays. The stations are either voice activated or activated by a staff member depending on what you are shooting.

rhuntley12
01-30-2013, 08:36 PM
This the range out near dewinton? I've been talking about going for years but never actually make it, PM me if you'd like company I'm sure you can score more then me:)

smp1963
01-31-2013, 04:07 PM
sorry but if you could brake one you are abole to brake them all
consentrate and and see what you do understend what you do
like you said practice