PDA

View Full Version : Best Fraser River Sturgeon guide?

FishingFrenzy
01-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Hey Everyone,

In preparation for the upcoming openwater, im looking into hitting up the Fraser for some sturgeon. Im just wondering who's had good/bad/ugly experiences with different guides on the Fraser? I've heard good things about Bent Rods, and i've looked at the websites of some other guys like Sturgeon Hunters and STS guiding, but I can't tell who's good?

Im looking for professional guys who know what their talking about, and will get me into some fish. I'd prefer a company who is open to fishing for salmon if the sturgeon fishing is slow. I will be going the first week of July or the last week of June. Higher costs are okay if the guides are the best. I figure if Im going to do this, im going to go all out.

Also, any general experiences fishing for white sturgeon in the Fraser would be great. Is the action pretty steady or is it 1 or 2 fish in a day type deal? Do most of the guides "guaruntee" you a fish, or is it common for people to go all day without a bite? I know its called "fishing" and not "catching", but a general idea of numbers/size would be highly appreciated!

'frenzy

bubba 96
01-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Iv seen the sts crew on fishing Canada seemed like a great outfit, guys here have used them and have had good things to say...

Fishnafterwork
01-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Dean Werk....Great River Fishing

couple fish last year over 12 feet

this guy knows his stuff and easy to talk to too...I never went with him but did chat with him at the docks...nice boat! nice gear! oh and a couple world records doesn't hurt either:)

personal advice....like u said fishing is fishing but I'm pretty sure these guys get almost every client on the rod with a sturg...and I would forget about the salmon completely myself....trust me if u dont got gear down there for the dinos you'll never get em....if its slow....well wait :)......when I went, we were slow alllllll day long...5 mins before we packed up I tied into a monster that took us up and down that river for over an hour 45

GOOD LUCK AND DONT FORGET TO UPDATE AFTER THE TRIP!

sturgeonhound
01-28-2013, 09:58 PM
I go to the Fraser every year and go with cascade sport fishing. Marc (the owner) and CEJ are the two best guides I have ever fished with. All of marc's guides are top shelf. I wouldn't hesitate one bit recommending them to anyone. PM me if you would like more info.

SH

BigDaddysToys
01-29-2013, 08:33 AM
A couple years ago I went with the guys from Giver on the River and had the time of my life. Excellent equipment, excellent boat, awesome guys and great rates. The guy to talk to is Pete Vandermuelen

BuckHunterBowen
01-29-2013, 08:38 AM
We went with Kodiak fishing charters out of hope and had a great time. Fished up at hells gate or something like that. Beautiful mountains.
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv212/zbowen55/389FE0EA-6A87-4416-ACAB-6861AB0D747B-693-000000FD8A162627.jpg
Caught this dandy. Not the biggest but it was my 15th birthday and I was jacked.

zoolander89
01-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Bent rods, went fishing last year in the start of July, fishing was tough in the high water.but still managed a 7footer, puts a lot of effort into making sure you catch fish. I would recommend him to anyone, and hoping to get out with him again this summer.

Jayhad
01-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Dean Werk....Great River Fishing

couple fish last year over 12 feet

this guy knows his stuff and easy to talk to too...I never went with him but did chat with him at the docks...nice boat! nice gear! oh and a couple world records doesn't hurt either:)

personal advice....like u said fishing is fishing but I'm pretty sure these guys get almost every client on the rod with a sturg...and I would forget about the salmon completely myself....trust me if u dont got gear down there for the dinos you'll never get em....if its slow....well wait :)......when I went, we were slow alllllll day long...5 mins before we packed up I tied into a monster that took us up and down that river for over an hour 45

GOOD LUCK AND DONT FORGET TO UPDATE AFTER THE TRIP!

X2

You can't beat this promo
http://www.globaltvbc.com/giant+sturgeon+catches+in+fraser+river+seen+as+goo d+news+for+the+species/6442722119/story.html

ask for Jeff, last time I went with him we boated 11 fish all over 6'

The Fisherman Guy
01-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Chad McAdie - BC Sport Fishing Group.

bucksandbulls
01-29-2013, 12:06 PM
we went two years ago with sts for three days, first two days was with a new guide and didnt have much success. the last day we went out with vic and had a blast, we caught two over 7' , 4' and few small ones

Vic Carrao
01-29-2013, 12:17 PM
There are lots of guides to choose from, some better than others, Look for a full time guide that does it for a living vs a weekend warrior. Late June/first week in July is very unpredictable due to high water. To be honest you have probably picked one of the worst weeks to come other than winter. It doesn't mean you won't catch fish, just means your going to work hard for them. Having said that I have had some good days in late June.

As far as world records, those two fish did not make the top 10 sturgeon tagged on the Fraser. You can read more on the world record that never was at http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=32044.0

Out of the names mentioned above my picks would be STS ( bias), Chad Macamie or Mark Laynes.

I don't think Kodiak is guiding anymore

Vic Carrao
01-29-2013, 12:31 PM
we went two years ago with sts for three days, first two days was with a new guide and didnt have much success. the last day we went out with vic and had a blast, we caught two over 7' , 4' and few small ones

Hey Buck, thanks for the support.

By the way, that new guide you had is not longer guiding with us.

FishingFrenzy
01-29-2013, 02:18 PM
There are lots of guides to choose from, some better than others, Look for a full time guide that does it for a living vs a weekend warrior. Late June/first week in July is very unpredictable due to high water. To be honest you have probably picked one of the worst weeks to come other than winter. It doesn't mean you won't catch fish, just means your going to work hard for them. Having said that I have had some good days in late June.

As far as world records, those two fish did not make the top 10 sturgeon tagged on the Fraser. You can read more on the world record that never was at http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=32044.0

Out of the names mentioned above my picks would be STS ( bias), Chad Macamie or Mark Laynes.

I don't think Kodiak is guiding anymore

Hey thanks for the info, when would the BEST time for sturgeon be? Mid july? Early August? End of august?

I appreciate all the info so far guys! Sound like theres alot of great guides to choose from!

Vic Carrao
01-29-2013, 02:43 PM
There are two peak periods, Spring between April 15 to May 30, then again in Fall between late August through to mid November. The Fall is considered the very best because all the salmon in the river that sturgeon feed on. 2013 is going to a big year becasue of the Pink Salmon.

Pink salmon are what we call mainstem spawners, they are one of the only species of salmon that actually spawn in the Fraser where all other species use the fraser as a migratory route, then spawn in tributaries. What this means to the sturgeon is abundant food supply.

For 2013 the best of the best will be between Sept 10 & Oct 10, these 30 days should be incredible if past years are any indication. I would be fishing between Mission & Chilliwack during this time period.

if you are coming in summer late July through to mid September, the canyon is the place to fish, these fish are feeding on sockeye that migrate in summer months so best fishing between Lillooet & Hope is during this time period.

Hope that helps.

Serengeti Charters
01-29-2013, 03:09 PM
My gf and I got my dad a trip for 2 with Great River in May for Xmas, luckily I get to go with him, can't wait. The set up seems to be a lot like halibut fishing. It'll be a great learning and fishing experience!

cavindish72
01-29-2013, 07:04 PM
took my family (wife , 2 daughters 10 and 12 and my father) last oct to the fraiser. we fished with beastmaster charters owned and operated by Randy Puchailo from mission bc. met him at 8 am in fort Langley and by 8:30 am we had an 8 footer on which was the first of 25 that we caught for the day. we were off the water at 4 pm. Randy was very professional and was great with my girls whom caught their share of the 25 sturgeon. half the fish were over 5' and 4 of them reaching the 200 lb mark. give him a call

tbosch
01-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Ive been out with Tom from STS a number of times and have never been disappointed. Vic runs a tight ship. Last trip out was for a stag last spring and it was TOUGH fishing but tom still got us on two days with 15+ fish and a few 6+ footer. Awesome! Vic did tom ever tell you the story about the football player who had to wear a leprechaun outfit on the boat? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Tofinofish
01-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Chad McAdie - BC Sport Fishing Group.

+