PDA

View Full Version : Fished out lakes

Kgz
01-29-2013, 01:55 PM
If the Alberta govt. / f/w were concerned about lakes being over harvested they should prohibit cars and trucks from being on the ice. Simple solution, the lakes would rebound in no time. Easy access means fewer fish, seems like 90% of fishermen drive on these days. The good old days could come back. Just my opinion of course

The Spruce
01-29-2013, 02:11 PM
What about the Old Timers? Sure they are some times a part of the problem, but they built the provice we enjoy everyday...hard to go fishing when you have trouble walking. Just saying, what would your life be like at 70+ without fishing? Lots TV I guess.:thinking-006:

Kgz
01-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Old guys need to go fishing with strong, young guys who can do all the work. Hahaha

Jamie Black R/T
01-29-2013, 02:57 PM
some the lakes that are claimed "fished out" on this forum are my favorite places to fish.

no crowds and abundant fish for those who can find them :)

There is no whitefish left in pigeon BTW :bad_boys_20:

WayneChristie
01-29-2013, 03:10 PM
And then ban boats too, so fishermen have to swim after the fish. makes just as much sense. :rolleye2:

Kgz
01-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Boats are made for the water

Mutter87
01-29-2013, 03:36 PM
People need to become educated and stop keeping their limit. That is the problem. 100 conservationists who care about fisheries and respect the fish on a lake do a lot less harm then 5 who go to the lake to rob it of its resources.

keep6matt
01-29-2013, 03:50 PM
some the lakes that are claimed "fished out" on this forum are my favorite places to fish.

no crowds and abundant fish for those who can find them :)

There is no whitefish left in pigeon BTW :bad_boys_20:

Seen zounds of whitefish in shallow water last Saturday at Pigeon....hundreds from mid morning to mid afternoon.

Wild&Free
01-29-2013, 03:51 PM
People need to become educated and stop keeping their limit. That is the problem. 100 conservationists who care about fisheries and respect the fish on a lake do a lot less harm then 5 who go to the lake to rob it of its resources.

Sorry, I like to eat fish. I may not take my limit home every time I go out, in fact I rarely keep my max limit, but usually that's only because there are still some fish in my freezer. And no, I will not refrain from going out fishing just because there are still some in my freezer.

WayneChristie
01-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Boats are made for the water

explain the difference between driving out in a boat in the summer or driving out with a vehicle in the winter, this sounds like a trolling post.

pikergolf
01-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Lots of pressure on lakes, fishermen are getting more sophisticated, catching way more than they used to. Ice fishing brings everyone to an even field, what to do? Things have to change, everyone wants to change what the other guy is doing. It's a tough discussion, but should be had, the I'll take what I can, when I can, cause it's going to H in a hand basket, should sit the discussion out though. I'll say this, I fish a special management trout lake a lot, and in my mind it's working big time. Breaks my heart to go elsewhere and watch people load up on 8 in. trout at other pot holes. The cost of that meat would be astronomical from the Gov. as well as the fisherman side. Don't have the answer, but like I said a discussion needs to be had, cause it won't go on forever.

Kgz
01-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Are there not hunting areas that are closed to vehicle access because of heavy pressure? Why are lakes treated different. I'm not talking quads and sleds, just cars and trucks

Mutter87
01-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Are there not hunting areas that are closed to vehicle access because of heavy pressure? Why are lakes treated different. I'm not talking quads and sleds, just cars and trucks

You can't drive on Lower Kananaskis

Bigdad013
01-29-2013, 04:23 PM
So quads and sleds are ok? Step away from the glue. For your previous statement, boats are made for water......quads and sleds, cars and trucks on ice, whats the difference.

WayneChristie
01-29-2013, 04:24 PM
again, whats the difference between cars and trucks and quads and sleds? they all allow the same access as boats in the summer to the same areas. you dont make any sense
PG the government puts those 8 inch trout in the potholes for the express reason of people taking them home to eat, not to grow and become trophies

Bigtoad
01-29-2013, 04:42 PM
With proper management and limits this is a non-issue.

Education is also a key but when you allow someone to take 5 fish home, many will do that each and every time that they are out. And the few will eventually wreck it for the many.

Put sustainable limits on, enforce those limits, and throw the book at those that break them.

Kgz
01-29-2013, 05:02 PM

Education is also a key but when you allow someone to take 5 fish home, many will do that each and every time that they are out. And the few will eventually wreck it for the many.

Put sustainable limits on, enforce those limits, and throw the book at those that break them.

Agreed

rafhone
01-29-2013, 05:54 PM
once again,

I like Saskatchewan's limits where you can only keep one over a selected size. All too often when fishing in this province you will be 1" shy of a keeper. promoting people to only keep the big ones kills the breeders. let the fishermen keep ONE monster if they so choose, and some good eaters.

kinda slot size, but smarter in my opinon.

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx....pdf&l=English

nof60
01-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Ban power augers. I know I used to catch far less fish when I had to hand crank a hole.

Bhflyfisher
01-29-2013, 06:02 PM

Yeup. Nailed it.

Pincherguy
01-29-2013, 06:02 PM
If the Alberta govt. / f/w were concerned about lakes being over harvested they should prohibit cars and trucks from being on the ice. Simple solution, the lakes would rebound in no time. Easy access means fewer fish, seems like 90% of fishermen drive on these days. The good old days could come back. Just my opinion of course

Your opinion sucks kid, do you really think ice fishing depletes the numbers that greatly? Give your head a shake, pretty sure your gonna hear a rattle.
PG

Pincherguy
01-29-2013, 06:04 PM
explain the difference between driving out in a boat in the summer or driving out with a vehicle in the winter, this sounds like a trolling post.

My thought too Wayne.
PG

Pincherguy
01-29-2013, 06:06 PM

Maybe some of the older guys can't afford a quad, ever think about that when your not thinking?
pg

rafhone
01-29-2013, 06:08 PM
ban shoes on the ice unless they have flippers or inlfatable pumps too.

moosehead7
01-29-2013, 06:20 PM
no they should learn how to manage it right and tell the natives to quit netting them so hard, if they want to feed their families jump in your ford and go buy a fish or take just enough to feed you, instead of pulling a 40ft gillnet

Wild&Free
01-29-2013, 06:46 PM
no they should learn how to manage it right and tell the natives to quit netting them so hard, if they want to feed their families jump in your ford and go buy a fish or take just enough to feed you, instead of pulling a 40ft gillnet

If you had to survive off the land, you'd want a 40' gill net as well.

Walleyes
01-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Nothing wrong with keeping a feed to enjoy now and again,, the days of living off of your catch are over plain and simple.. Times are changing we have to change with it or there will be nothing left.. Take a couple walleye or perch home now and again go hard,, but don't do it twice a week every week.. Lots of our old school boys out there that just can't evolve to the new standard.. Slowly through education it will change well education and nature will take care of the old school boys..

Kgz
01-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Maybe some of the older guys can't afford a quad, ever think about that when your not thinking?
pg

Your opinion sucks kid, do you really think ice fishing depletes the numbers that greatly? Give your head a shake, pretty sure your gonna hear a rattle.
PG. Pg. you're wound a little too tight. How did older guys go fishing before there were quads or go anywhere 4x4's? Was the fishing better or worse then? Shaking my head right now, no rattles

Pincherguy
01-29-2013, 07:28 PM
. Pg. you're wound a little too tight. How did older guys go fishing before there were quads or go anywhere 4x4's? Was the fishing better or worse then? Shaking my head right now, no rattles

LOL shake a little harder, how they got around back then has nothing to do with how they get a round now.
PG

rafhone
01-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Self-regulation will always be a challenge, but if somebody's going to be in charge, it might as well be me. - Daniel Akst

don't we all have the best ideas?

AppleJax
01-29-2013, 07:42 PM
.................here go the armchair conservationists again.......IBTL

huntsfurfish
01-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Nothing wrong with keeping a feed to enjoy now and again,, the days of living off of your catch are over plain and simple.. Times are changing we have to change with it or there will be nothing left.. Take a couple walleye or perch home now and again go hard,, but don't do it twice a week every week.. Lots of our old school boys out there that just can't evolve to the new standard.. Slowly through education it will change well education and nature will take care of the old school boys..

Agree!

moosehead7
01-29-2013, 07:56 PM
If you had to survive off the land, you'd want a 40' gill net as well.

They look concerned bout feeding their families banging their drums on the news but that argument is getting old

Kgz
01-29-2013, 08:38 PM
I'll sure be glad when this cold snap is over, need to get out

Pincherguy
01-29-2013, 08:56 PM

I hear ya, cabin fever makes the fuses short, no hard feelin's.
PG

The Spruce
01-29-2013, 09:06 PM

Pretty sure you ere trolling for this response, "You better walk, I would hate to see you fish out some lakes with your truck".:fighting0074:

fisherman420
01-29-2013, 09:39 PM

Propane and things that burn propane are wonderful

topgun
01-29-2013, 09:45 PM
A 40ft gillnet??? I've never seen one that small, Just saying

Brandonkop
01-29-2013, 10:44 PM

Hahaha! Back to the drawing board man. You can't create your own exclusive fishing group dependent on what type of vehicle people own.