PDA

View Full Version : Uglystik pack rods?

Cal
01-29-2013, 02:29 PM
I am concidering buying one of these for a trip to Florida this spring. I just had a few questions for anyone who has one. How do they compare to the regular Uglystik? I imagine the sensitivity would be even worse but is the action comparable?

Thanks.

Levy
01-29-2013, 03:05 PM
I have one. It is pretty much the same think except I find I lose the top piece a little more often than with my regular ugly stick. It may be a little softer but I had some 10 pound suffix line and a spoon on it and when I cast the guys beside me were cursing how far the hook would fly. Great rod for rough travel. I work remote camps and get around in a lot of small aircraft. The only other travel rod i have used that compares is a penn graphite rod that is no longer made.

Cal
01-29-2013, 03:44 PM
I have one. It is pretty much the same think except I find I lose the top piece a little more often than with my regular ugly stick. It may be a little softer but I had some 10 pound suffix line and a spoon on it and when I cast the guys beside me were cursing how far the hook would fly. Great rod for rough travel. I work remote camps and get around in a lot of small aircraft. The only other travel rod i have used that compares is a penn graphite rod that is no longer made.

What one do you have? I think I will get the 6'6" one, Fenwick makes an Eagle GT pack rod but its a ML action which I dont think will be ideal for the fishing I plan on doing on this trip. Would be a nice rod for river trips on the upper Athabasca though.

Levy
01-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Its about that size. I pack it with me for hikes all the time. I even have convinced a life time shimano user to buy one for a travel rod. The only complaint anyone could make is that they don't come with a nice case but you can buy cases at cabela's and other places. I just use the plastic case it comes with.

Erik
01-29-2013, 11:08 PM
What one do you have? I think I will get the 6'6" one, Fenwick makes an Eagle GT pack rod but its a ML action which I dont think will be ideal for the fishing I plan on doing on this trip. Would be a nice rod for river trips on the upper Athabasca though.

I have that Fenwick and it is twice the rod of the Shimano pack rods that I have owned for half the cost. I can't comment on the Ugly Stik, but I am also not a fan of Ugly Stik due to their poor sensitivity. They have a heavy action 8' (think Halibut rod) 2-piece that I always found interesting. That is about the only Uglystik I ever liked.

BeeGuy
01-29-2013, 11:29 PM
I've put a lot of travel and fishing hours on my Shimano Beast Master 5 piece.

Piece #2 is interchangeable to shorten the rod down to a light action, maybe 6'6'' pole.

I love that thing.

Caught a lot of fish on it.

Rainbows to 15 and everything in between.

I think they sell a model here called exage

Cal
01-30-2013, 09:41 AM
I have that Fenwick and it is twice the rod of the Shimano pack rods that I have owned for half the cost. I can't comment on the Ugly Stik, but I am also not a fan of Ugly Stik due to their poor sensitivity. They have a heavy action 8' (think Halibut rod) 2-piece that I always found interesting. That is about the only Uglystik I ever liked.

I agree with your sentiments about the Uglystick. The only thing I offer is that for 90% of fishing an Uglystik will suffice, and keep gettin'er done for a long time. I think I might actualy pick up both the Uglystik and the Fenwick and between the two of them I'll be pretty well covered for my remote country fishing needs. Thanks for the input guys.