PDA

View Full Version : I need a new knot...

chain2
01-29-2013, 03:41 PM
I'm finding my blunt fingers and tired eyes dont work like they used too for tieing the ol "fisherman" knot. esp in a darkened ice hut. Im wondering or interested to find out if there's a good easy knot that I could learn. Links to or a name of knot are fine...thx :)chain

Geezle
01-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Palomar knot :)

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Super easy and very strong :)

bwackwabbit
01-29-2013, 03:49 PM
X2 it even works on the finicky little stuff for keeping perch and whitefish lures horizontal (when time and visibility don't allow a snell).

Cheers

AdverseCity
01-29-2013, 03:50 PM

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Nice site, bookmarked for future reference. Cheers

Zanzibar
01-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Will a Palomar knot hold with fire line? I've found that most knots will slip with it.

Geezle
01-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Will a Palomar knot hold with fire line? I've found that most knots will slip with it.

Yes, the Palomar knot is very good for braided/fused line :)

Cal
01-29-2013, 04:04 PM
I find the uni knot to be very easy to tie and it will do absolutely everything, its quite litteraly the only knot one needs to know. The palomar is easy to tie, and works very well with braid, and is a great knot for line to hook attatchments. Pushing the doubled over line through the eye of a small hook can be frustratning though, and for combinations such as "main line to swivle to leader to hook" it takes some carefull planning to make them all palomar knots. Trying to tie on somthing like a pickerell rig or a trolling spinner would be supremely awkward. I find the uni knot easyer to tie in most cases myself and only use the palomar with braid.

chain2
01-29-2013, 04:08 PM

yes, I know of that knot as well, It would be tough to get 8lb mono doubled over thru a small eye such as say a wire worm for eg.

:):):)that's a good page geezle I plan on checking each knot out btw thx chain

Mutter87
01-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Head into your local fishing store and get a knot book, they have all the knots you would want and the guide is small and compact with easy to read instructions.you'd also have the guide on hand for reference.

chain2
01-29-2013, 04:17 PM
I find the uni knot to be very easy to tie and it will do absolutely everything, its quite litteraly the only knot one needs to know. The palomar is easy to tie, and works very well with braid, and is a great knot for line to hook attatchments. Pushing the doubled over line through the eye of a small hook can be frustratning though, and for combinations such as "main line to swivle to leader to hook" it takes some carefull planning to make them all palomar knots. Trying to tie on somthing like a pickerell rig or a trolling spinner would be supremely awkward. I find the uni knot easyer to tie in most cases myself and only use the palomar with braid.

thank you cal!!
I just tried this knot with my mono and it looks to be a winner for me....:sHa_shakeshout:chain

Geezle
01-29-2013, 04:25 PM
yes, I know of that knot as well, It would be tough to get 8lb mono doubled over thru a small eye such as say a wire worm for eg.

In that case I like the Trilene knot :) (also on that site)

There really is no single knot for *every* situation ;)

addictedfisherman
01-29-2013, 04:31 PM

You can feed the line through one way and then back the other. that way you don't have to feed a loop through an even smaller loop.

I would also point you to a local fishing shop to get some advice, but the Palomar knot is easy and quick to tie.

Good luck!

EDMfishing
01-29-2013, 04:43 PM
the polomar knot is what we used on the salmon lodges when using the 80lb -100lb mono for the hali gear... quick, simple, and you try getting 6-8 twists and a wrap into 80lb mono and see how well it holds, or even how tight you think you can pull it lol....

I've used it here and there since then, works wonders with the suffix and the spiderwire I've tried it on back here in AB

Deano85
01-29-2013, 05:06 PM
All I use is the fishin' fool knot and the palomar

Cal
01-29-2013, 05:35 PM

Provided one is using Mono, and is not fly fishing, please give me one instance where a Uni knot will not work. It ties on hooks, it joins line, and it ties line to your reel. Its breaking strength is surpassed by other knots, but its excelent resistance to shock loading offsets this IMO.

thumper
01-29-2013, 05:43 PM
I try to bring along a sharp-eyed, nimble fingered kid. They learn quick, and tie great knots - great for hauling out your deer during hunting season too:)

Jack&7
01-29-2013, 05:49 PM

I have been using the Trilene knot for 30 years...it is my 'go to'. It is a little complicated, but it is bomb-proof! However, I do recommend a little spit to wet the line when you tighten it...

You can feed the line through one way and then back the other. that way you don't have to feed a loop through an even smaller loop.

Exactly the advice I was going to give. If I had to try and feed a doubled line through an eye, I would get so damn frustrated! I would prob quit fishing and take up lawn bowling or knitting.

calgarygringo
01-29-2013, 05:58 PM
http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/

I have used the above link for years. Has good descriptions of when and where to use them and the animations as well.

ice
01-29-2013, 06:11 PM
I prefere the uni because it can be used for line to hook aswell as line to line.
However I tie the palomar quite often aswell