PDA

View Full Version : Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers

bigwheel
01-29-2013, 04:35 PM
I was wondering if anyone here uses Tollers for hunting?

KN12313
01-29-2013, 05:37 PM
My nieghbor at the lake has one, that dog never stops yapping (that what they are breed to do) not the dogs fault. If I had my way it would get a high speed lead injection. Most annoying dog on the planet. Don't do it.
:snapoutofit:

1shotwade
01-29-2013, 05:55 PM
I am a lab guy but saw these dogs at work in manitoba a few years ago! These dogs were sleek and fast and also made awesome pets with the family. They were pretty quiet aswell. The 1 little female was pulling out ducks 2 to 1 ducks on my lab but she peetered out after a bit , she did hold her own tho.

2 Tollers
01-29-2013, 06:03 PM
You mean these

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/hughwarren/2011%20Dog%20Hunting%20Pics/IMG_6294-1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/hughwarren/2011%20Dog%20Hunting%20Pics/IMG_6223.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/hughwarren/2011%20Dog%20Hunting%20Pics/IMG_6212.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/hughwarren/Dogs%20and%20hunting/11-08-08011-1_zps565f53c3.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/hughwarren/Dogs%20and%20hunting/11-12-08012c.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/hughwarren/Dogs%20and%20hunting/20101011_1873.jpg

Only a few folks have them as actual working dogs.

densa44
01-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Not a bad dog when trained.

RobG10
01-29-2013, 06:52 PM
my uncial has one as a pet. its a great family dog the kids have taught it quite a few tricks and it is very well behaved, unless someone is at the door or he's playing with the kids you don't here a peep out him.

I am really on the fence between one or a lab my self.

2 Tollers
01-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Not a bad dog when trained.

I think trained would be a standard for all retrievers to be considered good dogs - labs, brown dogs, goldens, mixes etc. A good dog does not think about its breeding, all it cares about is being in the field and retrieving

Unfortunately for Tollers to many are at a dog park pet level and people really do not get to see what they are capable of. Dog park labs are ignored in the field as a poorly trained dog and forgotten. Tollers, Flat coats, AWS are unique and if not properly trained stick out and are remembered.

These two really do seem to kick their energy level up on upland.

2 Tollers
01-29-2013, 07:30 PM
I am really on the fence between one or a lab my self.

Labs are much more forgiving to train (take pressure better) and in many ways easier for a person to start off with. Also if you want to handle big geese Tollers as a small dog have trouble when birds break 10 lbs.

Tollers are smaller and take less room than a lab - 2 Tollers = 1 lab for space in a truck. Tollers need more grooming and are a high energy dog (lots of excercise). Some Tollers can be vocal and this has to be kept under strict control from the puppy stage on.

Labs punch through cover, Tollers go around. Some Tollers are weak on water particularly big water (out to sea retrieves can be a problem).

Tollers are a long lived breed with less issues for cancer. Think 12 to 14 years.

We have had 4 Tollers and 1 Golden. Next dog will be my last and I am torn on a Toller or a Lab. Lab as I have neve had one and I really like blocky headed black labs that are retrieving machines. But I also like the 4 Tollers that have shared my lunch in the field (breed loyalty).

If you are serious on a Toller send me a PM and I will advise on a couple of breeders that have titled working dogs

Pudelpointer
01-29-2013, 09:32 PM
My nieghbor at the lake has one, that dog never stops yapping (that what they are breed to do) not the dogs fault. If I had my way it would get a high speed lead injection. Most annoying dog on the planet. Don't do it.
:snapoutofit:

Do you REALLY believe that Tollers (a breed bred for hunting) has been also bred to "never stop yapping".

Think about it for a second.

Maybe that is what the dog's owner has decided to tell people for their complete lack of discipline with their dog.

Rafter_G
01-29-2013, 09:52 PM
My Dad had one when I was a kid, that dog was unreal. She always wanted to work, she would fetch carpet lint. I havent seen one in years.

HyperMOA
01-29-2013, 10:04 PM
I have a toller. I decided on the toller because I knew that she would be a house dog, being that I live in the city at this point in my life. The toller is the smallest breed of retriever and that went a long way with my decision as she has to live in the house as mentioned. Other than people sneaking up to the door and scaring her she is absolutely quiet. Except to go in and outside as she is trained to bark for exit / entry. As posted before I would not put her up against a wounded Canadian goose, but ducks and upland no problem. I have had several breeds of dog, and she has been the easiest dog I have owned to train to do anything. That very well could be the dog and not the breed though. Training for hunting was a breeze as it is very much instinctual in her. However she is still rough around the edges as I have not fielded her as much as I would like. She is a wonderful dog and I would recommend a toller to any sportsman. Great watchdog, great around my infant daughter, she would be a ****-poor guard dog though. Besides you would be helping to popularize a very obscure Canadian breed.

danoneseven
01-29-2013, 10:14 PM
I've hunted with my Toller for two seasons now with fantastic results. Very easy to train. Great on ducks, geese and upland. I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

KN12313
01-30-2013, 04:38 AM
If you watch a Tollers do their thing, they bounce around long shorelines yapping at the birds (ducks, geese, seagulls etc.). This meant to confuse the birds and they start to investigate what is happening, when the birds are close enough the dog pounces on the birds. So yes they were bred to yap, again not the dogs fault. Unless you have an extremely well trained dog, it's going to yap, as soon as it gets close to water. I used to put 4 flambeau Floater decoys, 2 on each side of my pier. If the dog was even tied in the front yard it would yap at the decoys. If there were seagulls on the pier or in the water the dog would yap, if kids down the beach were playing in the water the dog would yap.

During a discussion with the neighbor, I was told, the dog was professionally trained for obedience. But they can not get the dog to stop yapping. The dog comes, stays, sits etc. but will not stop yapping when it is around water.

So if you are only going to use the dog for field work maybe "OK".

If you are thinking about getting one :test: do your homework.

2 Tollers
01-30-2013, 06:46 AM
If you watch a Tollers do their thing, they bounce around long shorelines yapping at the birds (ducks, geese, seagulls etc.). This meant to confuse the birds and they start to investigate what is happening, when the birds are close enough the dog pounces on the birds. So yes they were bred to yap, again not the dogs fault. Unless you have an extremely well trained dog, it's going to yap, as soon as it gets close to water.

:sEm_oops2: You really do not know what you are talking about. Do some research on what the dogs were bred for, originally used for and test standards for Tolling. A dog bouncing along the shore line yapping at birds is not Tolling. They were not bred to yap

You are seeing a dog with an owner problem.

danoneseven
01-30-2013, 07:52 AM
:sem_oops2: You really do not know what you are talking about. Do some research on what the dogs were bred for, originally used for and test standards for tolling. A dog bouncing along the shore line yapping at birds is not tolling. They were not bred to yap

you are seeing a dog with an owner problem.

HyperMOA
01-30-2013, 07:59 AM
If you watch a Tollers do their thing, they bounce around long shorelines yapping at the birds (ducks, geese, seagulls etc.). This meant to confuse the birds and they start to investigate what is happening, when the birds are close enough the dog pounces on the birds. So yes they were bred to yap, again not the dogs fault.

I would have to agree with 2 Tollers here. My dog only barks when people try to get into "her" house, and can be calmed fairly easily. As for Tolling, they do not sit on the water's edge and "yap", that would be counterproductive. What they do is move tall grasses, dip feet in water, poke in and out of cover, crawl on the beaches, and just generally act strange and inquisitive to the ducks (or geese or whatever). This makes the ducks curious and come close to shore. If they just sat on the beach barking the ducks would know exactly what they are and swim away.

noisy mouse
01-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Mine is fine for retreiving, but gets cold fast while sitting in a blind during colder fall weather (probably due to the flat coat). She shakes it off and doesn't let it stop her from doing her job.

They needs alot of exercise - mine considers a 4km walk a nice warm-up session.

Icezilla
01-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Agreed noisy mouse, I am pretty sure my Toller has more energy after a 5km walk then before!

Also my 1 1/2 year old Toller has never been yappy, that is not a breed characteristic

If you are willing to put in the work I could not recommend a better dog

toby
12-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Hi I'm new to the site and like to put my two cents worth in.I hunted with different Tollers as I use to raise them never had a problem with a yappy dog nor did I have trouble with one being cold as they were in the water until January .As far as rough water I used them in the ocean back east where we have pretty rough water and high seas.They hunted all day and loved doing it and are a very good household and loyal pet.Hope this helps with some history on these great little dogs.

grinr
12-16-2013, 04:47 AM
As far as I know,Tollers were bred to look like and imitate a fox patrolling the shoreline.Foxes are of course natural predators of ducks,and for wutever reason,ducks are instinctively compelled to buzz low level fly-bys over foxes to "keep an eye on'em",thus the dog "tolls in" the ducks for a close shot.....as least that's what I was told by a Toller owner?Wouldn know for certain,have never hunted over one.....but sounds like a unique duck hunting technique if in fact thats how it works?

toby
12-16-2013, 07:26 AM
Years ago natives observed a fox tolling back and fourth on the beech while one hid in the bull rushes,the ducks then came in to protect their nests and the one hiding would then pounce on the ducks.