PDA

View Full Version : BC Halibut Fishing 2013

Tofinofish
01-29-2013, 09:51 PM
The IHPC Conference Board Reports were just made public and the following was reported for Canada - Area 2B

2B:
As expressed in previous years, the Canadian stakeholders continue to reject catch limits
for 2B based on the current harvest policies (e.g. assumptions on harvest rates,
apportionment, migration and bycatch impacts etc.) as the stakeholders believe IPHC has
consistently underestimated halibut abundance in the Canadian Zone.
Canada points out the 2B catch limits the Commission has adopted since 2006 have been
above harvest policy recommendations and setline survey and commercial catch indices
have shown recovery and slow improvement since 2008 in Area 2B, in contrast to the
western regulatory areas.
Canada further points out that it has dealt effectively with its bycatch and has
implemented monitoring programs that greatly reduce the uncertainties associated with
2B total removal estimates. High bycatch and uncertainties in the estimates of total
removals in the western areas continue to negatively affect Canada.
For these reasons Canada recommends the 2013 catch limit for 2B remain at the 2012
level 7.04 million pounds.

Unless you've followed the Halibut process for years as I have, the above may be a lot of blah blah blah, but if you head out to the coast and fish for Halibut for more than one consecutive day each year, this is very good news.
The 2013 outlook was for a pretty drastic decrease this season compared to the 2012 regulations that had found us open later, closed by labour day and fishing to a newly established slot limit of 1 and 1 for possession of 2 Halibut (1 any size and 1 under approx16 lbs) Overall the opportunities were "fair" considering the situation, and the fishing was better than good but with restrictions tighter than we had even seen, it was hard to imagine a season that would get tighter than than. After all, we are supposed to be on an up cycle for exploitable biomass but it seems that age class is taking their time to grow...

Meetings will be held along the coast this week as DFO is awaiting feedback from Rec angling groups on recommended management options. I tend to think we will be looking at the same type of time and restriction outline as last season, but if any of you want to share your thoughts that might help me take forward a new twist to the dialogue, I am always open to try and represent more than WCVI anglers, as this involves a share of resource owned by all Canadians and enjoyed by many Albertans.

PS. Halibut fishing was excellent for us last year, so we are fortunate to not be further curtailed as it will likely be even better in 2013.

Pls share your thoughts if you like....

Serengeti Charters
01-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Hey Jay,

Hear an annual limit of 5 with punch card may be occurring. If this is the case (I believe annual limit should be more like 8) I think this will encourage even further high grading of fish by residents of BC. Nonetheless should this occur I believe the punch card should be mandatory to turn in to better increase our catch monitoring. Just a thought if you are at the meetings.

Tofinofish
01-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Hey Jay,

Hear an annual limit of 5 with punch card may be occurring. If this is the case (I believe annual limit should be more like 8) I think this will encourage even further high grading of fish by residents of BC. Nonetheless should this occur I believe the punch card should be mandatory to turn in to better increase our catch monitoring. Just a thought if you are at the meetings.

Hi David,
Interesting that the Annual Limit has been topic of numerous chat boards etc recently. We have promoted an annual recreational limit for some time now at the SFAB level and there has been no movement on it by DFO...
This may be the year that they listen, and I agree that even though a limit of 5 Halibut per year is likely enough per angler, the high grading situatiuon may be a result - which could change the averages and possibly dictate further measures. Remembering that moving forward we should be looking at a healthier portion of the exploitable biomass for Area 2B, the annual limit could help in more ways than one..
Thx and hope to connect soon.
J.

Serengeti Charters
01-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Ya. I just don't see 5 chickens being enough to feed a family halibut once a week for a year. I know even for me out in Ottawa 5 chickens wouldn't do it as I eat it at least once a week with my girlfriend and a few buddies join in sometimes as well. Therefore just in my case ill be looking for some in the 30+lb range with 5 annual limit, never mind a family. Plus if we can improve our catch monitoring in anyway to shut the commies up I wouldn't hesitate.

Tofinofish
01-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Your comment makes sense to me as I wasn't thinking about 5 smaller Chickens on the annual limit, which wouldn't stretch very far in our house either. Also the expanded catch monitoring info will be crutial to move forward, so we encourage all anglers to share creel info whenever possible, just like the Salmon head recovery program - all important steps to help manage. I will share more info after our WCVI meeting on Thurs night.

Vic Carrao
01-30-2013, 06:47 PM
The IHPC Conference Board Reports were just made public and the following was reported for Canada - Area 2B

2B:
As expressed in previous years, the Canadian stakeholders continue to reject catch limits
for 2B based on the current harvest policies (e.g. assumptions on harvest rates,
apportionment, migration and bycatch impacts etc.) as the stakeholders believe IPHC has
consistently underestimated halibut abundance in the Canadian Zone.
Canada points out the 2B catch limits the Commission has adopted since 2006 have been
above harvest policy recommendations and setline survey and commercial catch indices
have shown recovery and slow improvement since 2008 in Area 2B, in contrast to the
western regulatory areas.
Canada further points out that it has dealt effectively with its bycatch and has
implemented monitoring programs that greatly reduce the uncertainties associated with
2B total removal estimates. High bycatch and uncertainties in the estimates of total
removals in the western areas continue to negatively affect Canada.
For these reasons Canada recommends the 2013 catch limit for 2B remain at the 2012
level 7.04 million pounds.

Unless you've followed the Halibut process for years as I have, the above may be a lot of blah blah blah, but if you head out to the coast and fish for Halibut for more than one consecutive day each year, this is very good news.
The 2013 outlook was for a pretty drastic decrease this season compared to the 2012 regulations that had found us open later, closed by labour day and fishing to a newly established slot limit of 1 and 1 for possession of 2 Halibut (1 any size and 1 under approx16 lbs) Overall the opportunities were "fair" considering the situation, and the fishing was better than good but with restrictions tighter than we had even seen, it was hard to imagine a season that would get tighter than than. After all, we are supposed to be on an up cycle for exploitable biomass but it seems that age class is taking their time to grow...

Meetings will be held along the coast this week as DFO is awaiting feedback from Rec angling groups on recommended management options. I tend to think we will be looking at the same type of time and restriction outline as last season, but if any of you want to share your thoughts that might help me take forward a new twist to the dialogue, I am always open to try and represent more than WCVI anglers, as this involves a share of resource owned by all Canadians and enjoyed by many Albertans.

PS. Halibut fishing was excellent for us last year, so we are fortunate to not be further curtailed as it will likely be even better in 2013.

Pls share your thoughts if you like....

I just read the entire document so not sure where the 7.04 million lbs came from but i am pretty sure the Canadian quota is much less
2013 Cdn Recreational Fishery TAC = 1,080,450

Maybe i am missing something?

Serengeti Charters
01-30-2013, 07:49 PM
That is just the rec sectors. Total tac is 7.038mill lbs which includes commercial catch then times that by 15% to get the rec sectors

Sundancefisher
01-30-2013, 08:20 PM
I would like to see the regs changed to allow for keeping both Hali's in one day. Some people can not handle the rough water two days in a row. I think it is poor to force that. As a compromise I would say let them catch there two chickens in the same day and elect not to catch a bigger one.

If you force someone that wants two to go again...then they are more likely to wait for a breeder.

Just a thought. For my two yearly derbies I make the halibut prize to the closest to 55lbs without going over. Doing my part to not kill breeder females.

Sundancefisher
01-31-2013, 07:32 AM
I would also be wise to designate significant sport fishing areas off limits to commercial fishermen. Time and time again I see commercial long lines set up within the short radius of a major sport fishing area. Commercial fishermen are able to go places sportfishermen often do not...so why over lap and decimate the sport fishery.

It only creates conflict between the two.

Tofinofish
01-31-2013, 08:37 AM
For my two yearly derbies I make the halibut prize to the closest to 55lbs without going over. Doing my part to not kill breeder females.

Good concept for your Derby...

Tofinofish
01-31-2013, 08:45 AM
That is just the rec sectors. Total tac is 7.038mill lbs which includes commercial catch then times that by 15% to get the rec sectors

Thanks for helping clarify for Vic that the TAC of 7.04 Million is Total for Canada - Area 2B
In comparison, many years the TAC was well over 11 million so even at the past allocation of 12%, the Recreational Sector had far more access to the resource.
For those interested in the IHPC process (click link) (http://www.iphc.int/) which is the managing body for Halibut before the DFO in Canada is allocated their "share" to then allocate between the Commercial and Recreational Fishing sectors.

Serengeti Charters
01-31-2013, 02:31 PM
Hi Sundance, the both hali one day will DEFINITELY not happen as it increases how much halibut is caught on the coast.

I have a question for all the Albertans here (as the halibut is as rightfully yours as mine as a CDN citizen), would you come out to the coast if you were able to only catch one halibut? (Assume other bottomfish as well and salmon, but also look at if it was the shoulder season and there were no salmon around...)

Tofinofish
01-31-2013, 02:47 PM
Hi Sundance, the both hali one day will DEFINITELY not happen as it increases how much halibut is caught on the coast.

I have a question for all the Albertans here (as the halibut is as rightfully yours as mine as a CDN citizen), would you come out to the coast if you were able to only catch one halibut? (Assume other bottomfish as well and salmon, but also look at if it was the shoulder season and there were no salmon around...)

Good question David, that can be helpful in considering proposal to bring forward tonight. You are very right, we are trying to represent access to the resource for all Canadian anglers so input is appreciated.

Walleyes
01-31-2013, 02:48 PM

I believe I would,, I do it for 2 and really what's the difference. It's not like you can live off of 2 anyways.

Fellows the days of looking an these species as food to live off of is over, we face the same issues with many species here in AB it's the experience and the joy of catching them that has to take precedence. Yes it is nice to enjoy the fruits of our labor and have a few meals same as the salmon. I head out there every summer and I bring a few home,, I have not brought my allotted limit home in many years. It's not for lack of catching it,, that is achievable, but it's out of the respect of the fishery. We head out there bring back a couple for the smoker, a few for the canner and a couple fresh. I would say out of the 12 chinook and or 24 total salmon we could bring back every summer depending on weight I may only bring home about a dozen fish.. That's all I need to enjoy it over the year. The same with halibut, yes it would be awesome to go out there and bring home a half dozen 40# fish,, but that ship floated years ago.. It's a sport fishery now not a meat harvest..

browning375
01-31-2013, 03:34 PM
Definately a game changer late season! We had a terrible late season last year for salmon, so we spent alot of time looking for good Halibut. If they cut it back further, she is not worth the trip to go some times late season. If a guy is spending thousands of $$$ to make the trip, its nice to take something home. Last year it was a tough go to meet the size limits, either you got a mid size Halibut or a tiny one. If you can only keep 2 and one is under 83cm, you want to try and get one close to the 83cm size , and on the other hand you want a big enough Halibut to make up for the smaller size, but still release the 100+lbers to be breaders. Its harder than it sounds, and we rigged to barbless and cut off our trebles for this purpose.

Personally i would like to see a slot limit on the big Halibut, any thing over 150lbs. must be released. Those are the ones reproducing and pumping out the genetics we need to keep the biomass healthy. I know it wouldnt happen, but i like what some marinas are posting on their information boards about the large Halibut, they encourage anglers to release the "Barn Doors "to reproduce and carry on the gene pool.

Jamie
01-31-2013, 04:10 PM
I believe I would,, I do it for 2 and really what's the difference. It's not like you can live off of 2 anyways.

Fellows the days of looking an these species as food to live off of is over, we face the same issues with many species here in AB it's the experience and the joy of catching them that has to take precedence. Yes it is nice to enjoy the fruits of our labor and have a few meals same as the salmon. I head out there every summer and I bring a few home,, I have not brought my allotted limit home in many years. It's not for lack of catching it,, that is achievable, but it's out of the respect of the fishery. We head out there bring back a couple for the smoker, a few for the canner and a couple fresh. I would say out of the 12 chinook and or 24 total salmon we could bring back every summer depending on weight I may only bring home about a dozen fish.. That's all I need to enjoy it over the year. The same with halibut, yes it would be awesome to go out there and bring home a half dozen 40# fish,, but that ship floated years ago.. It's a sport fishery now not a meat harvest..

Some very good points. At the Lodge we find most guests thinking along those lines. Our program of letting the big ones go has been a great success from a financial point and it feels good to know we are doing what we can. We all need to take responsibility for what is out there. I wish more guides/lodges would think down those lines. Some are doing it an some are not.
I know of one lodge in particular that you will get booed at dinner if you keep a big Hali or a big Salmon. We don't take it to that extreme, we focus on the positives.

Jamie

Jamie

Mark
02-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Definately a game changer late season! We had a terrible late season last year for salmon, so we spent alot of time looking for good Halibut. If they cut it back further, she is not worth the trip to go some times late season. If a guy is spending thousands of $$$ to make the trip, its nice to take something home. Last year it was a tough go to meet the size limits, either you got a mid size Halibut or a tiny one. If you can only keep 2 and one is under 83cm, you want to try and get one close to the 83cm size , and on the other hand you want a big enough Halibut to make up for the smaller size, but still release the 100+lbers to be breaders. Its harder than it sounds, and we rigged to barbless and cut off our trebles for this purpose.

Personally i would like to see a slot limit on the big Halibut, any thing over 150lbs. must be released. Those are the ones reproducing and pumping out the genetics we need to keep the biomass healthy. I know it wouldnt happen, but i like what some marinas are posting on their information boards about the large Halibut, they encourage anglers to release the "Barn Doors "to reproduce and carry on the gene pool.

Really reallly agree! Couldn't agree more.!

Serengeti Charters
02-02-2013, 06:14 PM
So officially allowed 1 halibut per day, 2 possession, one must be under 15lbs and one must be under 60lbs. This is absolute insanity in my opinion. Dfo is a joke...write and email the minister of fisheries if you don't like it like me...

Walleyes
02-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Yah,, that's a pretty tough rule.. Don't see the sense behind it.. Going to make it tough on you guys..

crazyfish
02-02-2013, 07:44 PM
wow , this should be interesting !

browning375
02-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Wow! All they have to do now is drop the limit on salmon, the final nail in the coffin for the sports industry. Going to be tough go!

Tofinofish
02-03-2013, 02:53 PM
So officially allowed 1 halibut per day, 2 possession, one must be under 15lbs and one must be under 60lbs. This is absolute insanity in my opinion. Dfo is a joke...write and email the minister of fisheries if you don't like it like me...

I don't like this either, but...
Prior to meeting on Thursday night to discuss the Halibut topic with others very involved, and then with in depth discussion, I learned quite a bit.
Last year's tightened restrictions affected angler effort which was outside of the "normal behaviour models" that DFO has tried to assess over recent years. (Still not saying or agreeing that they know enough to make such descisions)
What was outlined from modeling from last season, is that without the slot limit, we would very likely have been done in the first week of August, so it helped with an extra month of opportunity.
They then used the same behaviour model for 2013, with same slot as last year, and it was very likely we would be not making it through August again.
With the same recreational TAC, I would rather have certainty that we will make it through August and into September, moreso than a season of 1 any size. Granted we are not seeing as many over 100 like areas to the North, we do see many in the 60-70 range that will need a measure, creating a challenge even for an experienced guide. It is a tough call when you look at the variables of "modelling" on angler effort and catch, but IMO an opening of April 1st and closure of September 15th or even later would serve the whole coast and different Halibut angling situations the best. None of the options were good options..No I don't like a tighter restriction again this season, but having a fishery that extends past August is important. It should be the anglers final choice and not DFO mandated, but I think the alternative could be worse. We often encourage release of larger fish, but it would be best to remain the angler's choice.
There is a fair bit more coming on Annual limits and a potential "punch card" There was a push for 5 per year as David mentioned, but the absolute minimum number of 6 was brought forward in discussion as it could equate to 3 X 2 possession limits. 8-10 seems like a more reasonable number, but they will likley run on their modelling again. I too encourage you to write to the Minister, while remembering that there are some really good people working hard to represent us all through the IHPC process. They same people helped us retain 2012 numbers, which were recommended to be less. That would have been worse for the season ahead.

Serengeti Charters
02-04-2013, 09:11 AM
This will result in a divided rec sector. More guides and lodges will buy quota and the commercial guys will be slaying more big fish themselves. This is not a conservation measure. Worst decision for sport fishing on BC...it will be, mark my words. The sfab had to protect certain things going into the meeting and they didnt succeed at a single one by accepting this choice...

richmake
02-07-2013, 10:05 AM
I remember when the first slot limit was talked about last year and all I heard was based on the research info with regards to size, 83cm was the choice.
It wasn't just a size we picked to stay under a cap, but also was a size restriction that worked to prevent a large impact to the overall biomass.I want to see the science/study that reflects the impact of this new rule.Seems absolutely criminal that DFO can accept a rule of max size when we all know that it has nothing to do with concervation and future impact to a resource.
It's like saying that there is so much halibut out there that it doesn't matter how many fish we kill getting to a number that was chosen by a retarded system.
A max size limit has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.
Ethically you allow two user groups (aboriginal and commercial the opportunity to harvest a larger fish but the tax paying guys/girls across Canada get screwed again.

Tofinofish
02-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Ethically you allow two user groups (aboriginal and commercial the opportunity to harvest a larger fish but the tax paying guys/girls across Canada get screwed again.

Some Pros and Cons to the proposed new regulation, but this is a hard one to chew on or try to swallow...

Not happy with any of it as it isn't a Conservation issue as mentioned many many times. The situation we are in is all political.

Please ask your MP how they plan to help Canadians get back and retain access to common property resources like Halibut.

Meanwhile, we will have a good Halibut season, but it could/should be a lot better.

Sundancefisher
02-07-2013, 07:11 PM

Cutting the number of Hali to 1 would decrease angler days for Alberta's going to charters and lodges. I saw a drop in interest when halis went from from 3 to 2.

Sundancefisher
02-07-2013, 07:12 PM
I would also be wise to designate significant sport fishing areas off limits to commercial fishermen. Time and time again I see commercial long lines set up within the short radius of a major sport fishing area. Commercial fishermen are able to go places sportfishermen often do not...so why over lap and decimate the sport fishery.

It only creates conflict between the two.

Any thoughts on this?