PDA

View Full Version : dolberg rainbows

dale grohn
01-30-2013, 06:32 AM
just have to say been goin to this lake for almost 30 yrs and it has to be one of the best stocked little lake for rainbows close to edmonton 22 rainbows out of the same hole in 3 hrs with the biggest one being just over 6 pounds great day on the ice cold as hell but it was fun

tallieho
01-30-2013, 07:33 AM
Hope you had good .emories because now they will be gone.

deercrazy!
01-30-2013, 08:07 AM
X2. Why would you do that to yourself and that lake:snapoutofit: your next post will be Geeze I remember when I could go to dolberg lk and catch like 20-30 rainbows in a day, ahhh those were the days

nekred
01-30-2013, 08:12 AM
Best way to save lake X is to tell people Lake Y is the best!....

Wild&Free
01-30-2013, 08:16 AM
stocked ponds are secret. There is like no information on the interwebs as to their location, how many fish are put into them, or even how to get to them!!

Sarcasm aside, rainbows are fun to catch, just wish they tasted better myself. Can't wait till the ice is off to see if I can't get a couple to do some acrobatics for me. Glad you had a great day :)

fishman
01-30-2013, 11:01 AM
just have to say been goin to this lake for almost 30 yrs and it has to be one of the best stocked little lake for rainbows close to edmonton 22 rainbows out of the same hole in 3 hrs with the biggest one being just over 6 pounds great day on the ice cold as hell but it was fun

So in 30 years what diffrences have you seen to the lake..........as i have been fishing it close to same amount of time and i have seen drastic changes.......(1) more fish planted so catching more smaller fish. (2) more people fishing it and keeping fish and in turn less bigger fish.............yes you can still catch some nice fish but it is a shadow of what it use to be...........but what other lake has maintained its sizes and quality..yes it probably has survied better them other lakes

Bhflyfisher
01-30-2013, 11:34 AM
this thread was a very bad call.

jaystev
01-30-2013, 11:49 AM
i agree this was bad idea but the attention you guys are giving it is equally bad. This being said ive known this lake my whole life i go there once in winter and once after its turned over in the summer. I have never kept a thing.Its a great lake learned to fly fish on it. i have seen a dramatic size decrease over the last ten years. the thing i dont understand is why people would want to eat out of these small lakes? ive tried it and ewwwww. might as well be sucking on a wad of muskeg. IMHO.Its sad that i f the lakes all decline the way theyve been going ill be sol in finding somewhere to teach the youngsters.

Badflies
01-30-2013, 11:59 AM
It's already been pointed out but really a "secret stocked lake"? Places like this and PCR should be shared. Only thing missing is a picture.

Pincherguy
01-30-2013, 12:02 PM
never once saw where the op said he kept them. I took my boys fishing for rock bass one weekend years ago, between them they caught about 300. Out of the whle bunch only 1 died, this was due to having the hook go through its eye. The rest were released unharmed.
PG

CamoDerrick
01-30-2013, 12:08 PM
close to edmonton 22 rainbows out of the same hole in 3 hrs

I find dolberg to be a hit or miss lake.
It's a little fair to be hoping it's a "hit" day. Sounds like you had a hit day. There are better, closer, lakes to Edmonton IMO

rmatei
01-30-2013, 01:11 PM

Good on you dale grohn.Thanks for sharing. Dolberg is a decent lake and you can always catch a fish there. The lake is not new and most will return their catch, but if you want to spend the $75 bucks on gas to keep a couple of fish to eat go ahead. I think some guys on this site are just a little paranoid.

dale grohn
01-31-2013, 06:12 AM
too all the guys thats say this is a bad idea these lake are meant for every one to enjoy and share your stories and the lake is already way over fished so just because i had a good catch doesnt mean the next guy will but thanks for all your info ps i kept 2 and they were dam good

GregT
01-31-2013, 06:54 AM
sounds like a good afternoon. next time definitely snap a couple photos, they always make a good post better! if you look at the top of the "general discussion" there are instructions on how to post pics on the forum.

Bigtoad
01-31-2013, 07:27 AM
I'll say it again, it's not the fault of the fisherman telling fishing stories or the internet if Dolberg, or any other lake gets "fished out". That is the responsibility of SRD to put in SUSTAINABLE harvest limits and for us outdoorsmen to make sure SRD knows that we value quality when it comes to some special bodies of water, Dolberg potentially being one of them.

If people are so concerned, write an email to the bio in the area with your concerns and lobby for the regs to be changed to something other than a limit of 5 of any size.

Cheers.

fishman
01-31-2013, 09:45 AM
only way things are going to change if we start to send emails to fish and wildlife boys and let them know how you feel ........we all seem to bitch really easy but sit on our hands when it takes some energy to resolve this.......we have way to many fisherman for the amount of lakes so the rules have to change or every lake in alberta is going to be nothing but a catch size of 10-12 inchs.................make up your mind do you want to eat everything you catch and end up with 10-12 inch fish or do you want selective catch size and amount and you will be ablre to still catch bigger fish..........this is what it is going to come to...........i imagine i will hear some groaning about this........hey just telling you how it is if things dont change